Adding software from the CD

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sonn, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Sonn

    Sonn Guest

    From time to time I need to install extra bits and pieces of software from
    CD for software I'm running. Office is one example, XP would be another.

    When the installation searches my computer and declares it can't find what
    it's looking for, please insert the CD it then can't find the file it needs
    on the CD. How do I get around this? I have three CD drives, so if I tell
    it where to browse, it's needs more than just a CD drive. All I have is a
    list of directories, and no idea where to go from there. The installation
    browse doesn't seem very functional if it needs *me* to tell it where to go,
    and I have no idea what it's looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    S.

    ---
    Sonn, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Sonn

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Sonn of Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:27 :
    > From time to time I need to install extra bits and pieces of software from
    > CD for software I'm running. Office is one example, XP would be another.
    >
    > When the installation searches my computer and declares it can't find what
    > it's looking for, please insert the CD it then can't find the file it
    > needs
    > on the CD. How do I get around this? I have three CD drives, so if I
    > tell
    > it where to browse, it's needs more than just a CD drive. All I have is a
    > list of directories, and no idea where to go from there. The installation
    > browse doesn't seem very functional if it needs *me* to tell it where to
    > go,
    > and I have no idea what it's looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

    I had a very similar symptoms a couple of years ago, Win98 asked for the
    install CD but couldn't find the files it wanted when I put it in the
    drive. Eventually, I found the files were in .cab files on the CD, and
    that they can be extracted using a command line tool (called extract ?) and
    then copied to the appropriate Windows directory.

    Sorry this is vague, but it was a couple of years ago (and I've moved all my
    home stuff off Windows since then).

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Sonn

    Terry Robb Guest

    With Office (assuming version 2000), it's best to install as a customized
    install, then select ALL portions of Office. This negates having to re
    insert CD. The default install selects portions as "Install on first use",
    which means inserting CD when an option is used for the first time.

    When the Office installation does ask for the CD, it must be the same
    version as was installed, i.e. Standard, Premium, or Professional. Generally
    it will ask for a particular MSI file, i.e. DATA1PRO.MSI is the Professional
    one.

    Terry...
    Terry Robb, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Sonn

    Sonn Guest

    "Terry Robb" <> wrote in message
    > With Office (assuming version 2000), it's best to install as a customized
    > install, then select ALL portions of Office. This negates having to re
    > insert CD. The default install selects portions as "Install on first use",
    > which means inserting CD when an option is used for the first time.
    >
    > When the Office installation does ask for the CD, it must be the same
    > version as was installed, i.e. Standard, Premium, or Professional.

    Generally
    > it will ask for a particular MSI file, i.e. DATA1PRO.MSI is the

    Professional
    > one.
    >
    > Terry...

    Thanks. I think it's getting confused because I may use differenct drives
    from one installation to the next. Yeah, I usually install the works, but
    someone I email documents to regularly now uses a Mac, with software that
    doesn't understanding *anything* I send to him ... so need to install a
    whole heap of filters now! (Which aren't working by the way - particularly
    Excel spreadsheets - if anyone has any ideas on that one, please don't hold
    back, but maybe I should just let the person with the new Mac sort it out).
    S.

    ---
    Sonn, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Sonn

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Sonn of Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:47 :

    > someone I email documents to regularly now uses a Mac, with software that
    > doesn't understanding *anything* I send to him ... so need to install a
    > whole heap of filters now! (Which aren't working by the way -
    > particularly Excel spreadsheets - if anyone has any ideas on that one,
    > please don't hold back, but maybe I should just let the person with the
    > new Mac sort it out). S.

    OpenOffice is an office suite available for Mac, Windows, Linux and Solaris.
    It is free to download and (in my experience) does a fine job of opening MS
    Office .xls, .ppt and .doc format files.
    www.openoffice.org

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 17, 2003