adding second hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by philo, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    Kevin Wainhouse wrote:
    > I intend to add 2nd hard drive to my system but am confused about
    > installing & running it.
    >
    > I intend to instal it on secondary EIDE socket on which I have already
    > installed a CD RW drive.
    >
    > My questions are
    >
    > Can I run the new drive as master with the CD RW being the slave
    > If so will this arrangement affect the existing HDD which is on the primary
    > EIDE socket

    Yes

    > When installed, do I have to boot up the new hard disk in addition to th e
    > original had disk if so how, as the machine will already be running.

    No

    > Will the new drive be a drain on the memory ( Ive got 256meg at present)-
    > will I need to install more.
    > Any information gratefully received - thanks in advance

    No

    once installed

    all you need to do is partition the drive

    then reboot and format it

    Kevin Wainhouse, Dec 16, 2003

  3. philo

    mark mandel Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > Kevin Wainhouse wrote:
    > > I intend to add 2nd hard drive to my system but am confused about
    > > installing & running it.
    > >
    > > I intend to instal it on secondary EIDE socket on which I have already
    > > installed a CD RW drive.
    > >
    > > My questions are
    > >
    > > Can I run the new drive as master with the CD RW being the slave
    > > If so will this arrangement affect the existing HDD which is on the

    primary
    > > EIDE socket
    > >

    > Yes

    And sometimes the CD-RW's(or CD-ROM drives)will misbehave from this kind of
    setup.

    mark mandel, Dec 16, 2003
  4. philo

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > And sometimes the CD-RW's(or CD-ROM drives)will misbehave from this
    > kind of setup.

    Not often.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 16, 2003
  5. philo

    mark mandel Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >
    > > And sometimes the CD-RW's(or CD-ROM drives)will misbehave from this
    > > kind of setup.
    > >

    > Not often.

    Right. Which was why I said "sometimes".

    mark mandel, Dec 16, 2003
  6. philo

    HF Guest

    When you buy the drive BUY 'the retail kit' Dont just buy an OEM because all
    you will get is the drive. By paying a relatively small amount extra you
    will get a manual and full fitting instructions as well as an installation
    disk with all the necessary software to perform all the functions you need
    to instal a new drive as well as copying etc if you so wish.Take a look at
    the Western Digital website for instance and you will find a load of useful
    stuff as well as a good FAQ. With regard to cd/rw - it does not pay to have
    the HD and the cd/rw on the same channel. I wont go into why not here
    but you will find it and more on www.cdrfaq.org. Finally dont be confused -
    have a look at www.computerhope.com and www.tomshardware.com . HF

    HF, Dec 16, 2003
  7. philo

    Night_Seer Guest

    mark mandel wrote:
    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >> "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> And sometimes the CD-RW's(or CD-ROM drives)will misbehave from this
    >>> kind of setup.
    >>>

    >> Not often.

    > Right. Which was why I said "sometimes".
    >>
    >> --
    >> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    >> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    >> website: under construction
    >> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    >> email/IM for rates/services

    Rarely would have been a better word ;P

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Dec 16, 2003
  8. philo

    mark mandel Guest

    > mark mandel wrote:
    > > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > >> "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > >> Not often.

    > > Right. Which was why I said "sometimes".
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > >> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > >> website: under construction
    > >> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    > >> email/IM for rates/services

    > Rarely would have been a better word ;P

    And yet, I've encountered it(at least once that I can recall)and it's
    mentioned in "The PC Repair Bench Book" where the author says some hard
    drive disks won't work with a CD-ROM attached to the IDE channel as a slave.
    He then adds "call it hardware snobbery or what you like, but in these
    cases, you'll need to move the CD-ROM drive to another channel."

    Now I'm assuming that you could just as well substitute a CD-RW for the
    CD-ROM mentioned above but will concede that maybe there's a difference.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Dec 16, 2003
  9. philo

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:33:01 GMT, "mark mandel" <>
    wrote:

    >"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> mark mandel wrote:
    >> > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message

    >> > Right. Which was why I said "sometimes".

    >> Rarely would have been a better word ;P

    >And yet, I've encountered it(at least once that I can recall)and it's
    >mentioned in "The PC Repair Bench Book" where the author says some hard
    >drive disks won't work with a CD-ROM attached to the IDE channel as a slave.
    >He then adds "call it hardware snobbery or what you like, but in these
    >cases, you'll need to move the CD-ROM drive to another channel."

    Call it 'defective equipment'.

    Except for defective equipment, it'll always work.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 20, 2003