    The OS is WINME.

    What's going on here and how do I fix it?

    Charlie

    Charlie Bress, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Charlie Bress wrote:
    > I got hold of a hard drive from an old machine and want to install
    > it as a slave to use for backup.
    >
    > Setup recognizes the drive as a slave and reports 13.8GB on a WD
    > drive. When I go to "My Computer" it shows a mostly empty drive,
    > but "properties" only shows a 3 GB drive.
    > with only 200 MB used and 2.8GB available.
    >
    > The OS is WINME.

    I killfile anyone who uses WINME.

    Brenadier Jehosaphat, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Charlie Bress

    J-McC Guest

    Re: Adding second hard drive, size problems

    Setup will recognize your Hard drive and it will give you the capacity
    by multiplying the heads x cylinders etc and the result will be the
    unformatted size. Windows "my computer" will show the size of any
    partitions it recognizes. If you use Fdisk from a boot disk it may
    locate other partitions on your 13.8 gb hdd. If you are using XP then
    goto settings, "administrative tools", "storage devices", and have a
    look there, it will show what partitions exist on all your hard
    drives. If you want the whole 13gb you may have to repartition the
    drive and then reformat it.
    You may find that you had a linix partition installed.
    Another reason could be that the old machine mainboard may have only
    recognised a small hard drive size 2 to 4 gb was common once, back in
    the days when 13gb would have been considered huge!. If this was the
    case then this would explain your problem, As I have said use a boot
    disk (made from windows or dos6.22) and then run fdisk and examine the
    partition info.
    J McC

    J-McC, Jul 16, 2005
  4. "Brenadier Jehosaphat" <> wrote in message
    > Charlie Bress wrote:
    >> I got hold of a hard drive from an old machine and want to install
    >> it as a slave to use for backup.
    >>
    >> Setup recognizes the drive as a slave and reports 13.8GB on a WD
    >> drive. When I go to "My Computer" it shows a mostly empty drive,
    >> but "properties" only shows a 3 GB drive.
    >> with only 200 MB used and 2.8GB available.
    >>
    >> The OS is WINME.

    > I killfile anyone who uses WINME.

    Gee, it was good of you to leap before you looked, or do you have trouble
    reading .
    I never said it was my machine. I just said I was trying to do it. I guess
    your approach is never to help anybody, because of your holier than you
    attitude.

    May all your email be virus carrying spam.

    Actually I guess I am sorry that I wrote all that. Obviously, you don't know
    the answer and are just hiding behind a smart ass response.

    Charlie Bress, Jul 17, 2005
  5. Charlie Bress

    BOB Guest

    Charlie Bress wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Brenadier Jehosaphat" <> wrote in
    > message news:pAeCe.93490$...
    >> Charlie Bress giggled:
    >>> I got hold of a hard drive from an old machine and want to
    >>> install it as a slave to use for backup.
    >>>
    >>> Setup recognizes the drive as a slave and reports 13.8GB on a WD
    >>> drive. When I go to "My Computer" it shows a mostly empty drive,
    >>> but "properties" only shows a 3 GB drive.
    >>> with only 200 MB used and 2.8GB available.
    >>>
    >>> The OS is WINME.

    >> I killfile anyone who uses WINME.

    > Gee, it was good of you to leap before you looked, or do you have
    > trouble reading .
    > I never said it was my machine. I just said I was trying to do it.
    > I guess your approach is never to help anybody, because of your
    > holier than you attitude.
    >
    > May all your email be virus carrying spam.
    >
    > Actually I guess I am sorry that I wrote all that. Obviously, you
    > don't know the answer and are just hiding behind a smart ass
    > response.

    YHBT

    --
    BOB

    BOB, Jul 17, 2005
  6. Charlie Bress wrote:
    > I got hold of a hard drive from an old machine and want to install it as a
    > slave to use for backup.

    Do you want to save the data on it?

    More information needed.

    > Setup recognizes the drive as a slave and reports 13.8GB on a WD drive.
    > When I go to "My Computer" it shows a mostly empty drive, but "properties"
    > only shows a 3 GB drive.
    > with only 200 MB used and 2.8GB available.

    Did you format it?

    More information needed.

    > The OS is WINME.

    > What's going on here and how do I fix it?

    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 17, 2005