    machine, and have done so just before trying to get the Network Setup to
    work.
    Can you advise me what to do now?
    Chris Clayton, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Chris,

    I had great trouble connecting my laptop to my network. The breakthrough
    came when someone told me to dsiable the firewalls on both machines while the
    network is configured. If you have firewalls enabled they will probably stop
    the two PCs seeing each other. Whatever you do, turn the firewalls back on
    once you have established the network.

    Check out my other posts on this subject.

    Happy networking,

    Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQw==?=, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Thanks. I have had to pay someone to set my network up, it was far beyond
    my capabilities even to establish the cause of the problems (plural) and as
    'simple' as many people have said. Yes, the FireWalls were one difficulty
    but just turning them off was no good, they had to be configured in various
    ways. The other main difficulty was an incorrect setting on the W98 machine
    which I am told was probably created by the Network Card. The engineer took
    2.5 hours to complete the job. I now have to sort out the printer sharing!

    Chris

    Chris Clayton, Mar 19, 2006