    I have a new Sata DVD burner but my system uses ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P
    Can I use it with the old burner or must I replace it with the sata
    and what do I need?

    joevan, Sep 10, 2008

  2. joevan wrote:

    > I have a new Sata DVD burner but my system uses ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P
    > Can I use it with the old burner or must I replace it with the sata
    > and what do I need?

    If you have sata ports on your mainboard, you may just need a ide/sata power
    converter cable or a powersupply with sata cables.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 10, 2008

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:57:52 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >
    >> I have a new Sata DVD burner but my system uses ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P
    >> Can I use it with the old burner or must I replace it with the sata
    >> and what do I need?

    >If you have sata ports on your mainboard, you may just need a ide/sata power
    >converter cable or a powersupply with sata cables.

    It is a foxconn board and I searched for it by ID number and could not
    find any information about it.
    I will search for a picture of sata port on the mainboard or
    connection.

    joevan, Sep 10, 2008
  4. joevan

    Shinta Maru Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:25:36 -0400, joevan wrote:

    > I have a new Sata DVD burner but my system uses ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P
    > Can I use it with the old burner or must I replace it with the sata
    > and what do I need?

    If your motherboard has a Sata port, you can use both burners.

    If your motherboard doesn't have a Sata port, you may be able to get a
    cheap PCI Sata card to run the Sata burner. You would need a Sata
    cable to connect the Sata burner to the PCI card - these usually come
    with the card. And also a Sata power cable to connect the Sata burner to
    the PSU. If your motherboard allows using the PCI card, read the
    installation instructions carefully.

    Shinta Maru, Sep 11, 2008
  5. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 05:31:16 +0100, "Lurker" <> wrote:

    >"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:57:52 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>If you have sata ports on your mainboard, you may just need a ide/sata
    >>>power
    >>>converter cable or a powersupply with sata cables.

    >> It is a foxconn board and I searched for it by ID number and could not
    >> find any information about it.
    >> I will search for a picture of sata port on the mainboard or
    >> connection.
    >>

    >So you purchased a sata burner without knowing if your PC could accommadate
    >it?
    >Impulse buy was it.

    You assume too much wise ass. Why not go wipe your assumption and
    achieve something important.

    joevan, Sep 11, 2008
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:45:12 +1000, Shinta Maru
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:25:36 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >
    >> I have a new Sata DVD burner but my system uses ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P
    >> Can I use it with the old burner or must I replace it with the sata
    >> and what do I need?

    >If your motherboard has a Sata port, you can use both burners.
    >
    >If your motherboard doesn't have a Sata port, you may be able to get a
    >cheap PCI Sata card to run the Sata burner. You would need a Sata
    >cable to connect the Sata burner to the PCI card - these usually come
    >with the card. And also a Sata power cable to connect the Sata burner to
    >the PSU. If your motherboard allows using the PCI card, read the
    >installation instructions carefully.

    Thanks, that is what I thought. Nice to have it all tidy and clear in
    my head now.

    joevan, Sep 11, 2008
  7. joevan

    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:25:36 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >
    >> I have a new Sata DVD burner but my system uses ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P
    >> Can I use it with the old burner or must I replace it with the sata
    >> and what do I need?

    >If your motherboard has a Sata port, you can use both burners.
    >
    >If your motherboard doesn't have a Sata port, you may be able to get a
    >cheap PCI Sata card to run the Sata burner. You would need a Sata
    >cable to connect the Sata burner to the PCI card - these usually come
    >with the card. And also a Sata power cable to connect the Sata burner to
    >the PSU. If your motherboard allows using the PCI card, read the
    >installation instructions carefully.

    I have 2 sata hard drives in this machine. They are plugged into
    little blue oval plugs on the motherboard. There are two more plugs
    just beside those just like the ones the hds are plugged into.
    I have not been able to find much about this Foxconn 975X7AB FAB1. on
    the net and have not seen sata connectors like these. Am I missing
    something? I bought this about a year ago from an associate.

    joevan, Sep 11, 2008
  8. joevan

    Shinta Maru Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:06:32 -0400, joevan wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:45:12 +1000, Shinta Maru
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:25:36 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a new Sata DVD burner but my system uses ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P
    >>> Can I use it with the old burner or must I replace it with the sata
    >>> and what do I need?

    >>If your motherboard has a Sata port, you can use both burners.
    >>
    >>If your motherboard doesn't have a Sata port, you may be able to get a
    >>cheap PCI Sata card to run the Sata burner. You would need a Sata
    >>cable to connect the Sata burner to the PCI card - these usually come
    >>with the card. And also a Sata power cable to connect the Sata burner to
    >>the PSU. If your motherboard allows using the PCI card, read the
    >>installation instructions carefully.

    > I have 2 sata hard drives in this machine. They are plugged into
    > little blue oval plugs on the motherboard. There are two more plugs
    > just beside those just like the ones the hds are plugged into.
    > I have not been able to find much about this Foxconn 975X7AB FAB1. on
    > the net and have not seen sata connectors like these. Am I missing
    > something? I bought this about a year ago from an associate.

    You can get the motherboard manual here -
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000184
    There are 4 Sata connection points together on the motherboard - they are
    standard rectangular connectors. See the manual for the motherboard
    diagram. Installing the new burner should be straightforward. Follow the burner
    installation instructions, and consult the motherboard manual as
    necessary.

    Any problems?

    Shinta Maru, Sep 11, 2008
  9. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:25:57 +1000, Shinta Maru
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:06:32 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:45:12 +1000, Shinta Maru
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>If your motherboard has a Sata port, you can use both burners.
    >>>
    >>>If your motherboard doesn't have a Sata port, you may be able to get a
    >>>cheap PCI Sata card to run the Sata burner. You would need a Sata
    >>>cable to connect the Sata burner to the PCI card - these usually come
    >>>with the card. And also a Sata power cable to connect the Sata burner to
    >>>the PSU. If your motherboard allows using the PCI card, read the
    >>>installation instructions carefully.

    >> I have 2 sata hard drives in this machine. They are plugged into
    >> little blue oval plugs on the motherboard. There are two more plugs
    >> just beside those just like the ones the hds are plugged into.
    >> I have not been able to find much about this Foxconn 975X7AB FAB1. on
    >> the net and have not seen sata connectors like these. Am I missing
    >> something? I bought this about a year ago from an associate.

    >You can get the motherboard manual here -
    >http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000184
    >There are 4 Sata connection points together on the motherboard - they are
    >standard rectangular connectors. See the manual for the motherboard
    >diagram. Installing the new burner should be straightforward. Follow the burner
    >installation instructions, and consult the motherboard manual as
    >necessary.
    >
    >Any problems?

    Thanks again. I will down load that manual. I had the wrong glasses on
    at the time and they looked oval, but upon closer examination I
    realized what was going on. You are a gentleman and a scholar and I
    appreciate your help.

    joevan, Sep 11, 2008