    have ADSL but the computer still runs quite slow. Will adding RAM help
    with either or both of these problems? (I currently have 64 MB)

    LeAnn
    justme, Dec 27, 2003

  2. justme

    justme Guest

    And another question while I'm at it. If I did add memory could I do it
    like this; I currently have 64 MB (32+32), can I leave in one of the
    32's and put in a 128 in the other slot? Or do I need to have the same
    number in each slot?

    LeAnn

    justme, Dec 27, 2003

  3. justme

    Thor Guest

    "justme" <> wrote in message
    > I am a computer novice so please remember when responding to this post.
    > I have an older HP Pavilion 4455 and I have a lot of problems with the
    > computer locking up and control-alt-delete usually doesn't work. Plus I
    > have ADSL but the computer still runs quite slow. Will adding RAM help
    > with either or both of these problems? (I currently have 64 MB)

    not with locking up. It would help speed things up though.
    Thor, Dec 27, 2003
  4. justme

    Thor Guest

    "justme" <> wrote in message
    > And another question while I'm at it. If I did add memory could I do it
    > like this; I currently have 64 MB (32+32), can I leave in one of the
    > 32's and put in a 128 in the other slot? Or do I need to have the same
    > number in each slot?

    You can mix quantities of SDRAM, so generally, yes, the configuration you
    propose will typically work fine, but sometimes motherboards have particular
    requirements about what combinations of RAM they will accept, so you should
    consult your manual, or try www.crucial.com and use their online memory
    search for your particular system, and it will tell you what modules are
    recommended. Also, I'd recommend purchasing the memory from them. They
    guarantee it will work.
    Thor, Dec 27, 2003
  5. justme

    hyenapower Guest

    Hey Justme, (im not using caps anymore!)
    buy the most you can get. ram is the ultimate computer potion. it fixes
    everything!!! i hope hyena could help.

    hyenapower, Dec 27, 2003
  6. justme

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 06:59:44 -0600, justme <> wrote:

    >I am a computer novice so please remember when responding to this post.
    > I have an older HP Pavilion 4455 and I have a lot of problems with the
    >computer locking up and control-alt-delete usually doesn't work.

    Always?...or just recently? What operating system?

    >Plus I
    >have ADSL but the computer still runs quite slow.

    The computer?...or browsing?...or downloading?

    >Will adding RAM help
    >with either or both of these problems? (I currently have 64 MB)

    Probably not.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 28, 2003
  7. justme

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 08:36:41 -0600, justme <> wrote:

    >And another question while I'm at it. If I did add memory could I do it
    >like this; I currently have 64 MB (32+32), can I leave in one of the
    >32's and put in a 128 in the other slot? Or do I need to have the same
    >number in each slot?

    You need to look up the specs for the motherboard you have.

    Go to a good site that has free software downloads...

    www.download.com is a good one...

    and get the program aide32.exe

    then run it.

    It'll tell you a lot of things about your computer...that you can use
    as you investigate.

    Good luck.

    Trent©, Dec 28, 2003
  8. >
    >And another question while I'm at it. If I did add memory could I do it
    >like this; I currently have 64 MB (32+32), can I leave in one of the
    >32's and put in a 128 in the other slot? Or do I need to have the same
    >number in each slot?

    SIMMs are now hard to find in stores.
    major chains dont have them, only small mom and pop stores do...
    and ifcourse Ebay does.
    you should have 128mb min. 32x4
    *** E-mail is shut off ***
    Developwebsites, Dec 28, 2003
  9. justme

    justme Guest

    Almost always. I've had this computer for several years now and it's
    progressively gotten worse. It's a Windows 98

    LeAnn

    justme, Dec 29, 2003
  10. justme

    BillKirch Guest

    >Almost always. I've had this computer for several years now and it's
    >progressively gotten worse. It's a Windows 98

    #########JUST GET A NEW ONE. bg
    BillKirch, Dec 29, 2003
  11. justme

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    oads (BillKirch) wrote in

    >>Almost always. I've had this computer for several years now and it's
    >>progressively gotten worse. It's a Windows 98

    > #########JUST GET A NEW ONE. bg

    Don't fix the problem or learn what it was, just throw enough money at it
    and it will go away, right?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Dec 29, 2003
  12. justme

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:27:40 -0600, justme <> wrote:

    >Almost always. I've had this computer for several years now and it's
    >progressively gotten worse. It's a Windows 98

    Boy...NOW we're gettin' somewhere!!

    Er...what version? lol

    At any rate, make sure you have all the latest updates from the MSFT
    site...especially the CRITICAL updates.

    If the machine freezes more than once a year or so, you have a problem
    that must be resolved.

    Trent©, Dec 29, 2003
  13. justme

    Jeremy Guest

    "Trenton" wrote:

    > If the machine freezes more than once a year or so, you have a problem
    > that must be resolved.

    Install Linux :)

    I actually have a win box 9x that has not crashed for 4 years 6 months
    or so. I must switch in on sometime :)

    JJ
    Jeremy, Dec 29, 2003
  14. justme

    Speedy Petey Guest

    Might be time for a fresh install of Windows 98. I found that if I did that
    about once a year, things were better. Also, download and run an antivirus
    and spybot program. Might help.

    Speedy Petey, Jan 3, 2004
  15. justme

    Swift Guest

    Jeremy wrote:

    > "Trenton" wrote:
    >

    >>If the machine freezes more than once a year or so, you have a problem
    >>that must be resolved.
    >>

    > Install Linux :)
    >
    > I actually have a win box 9x that has not crashed for 4 years 6 months
    > or so. I must switch in on sometime :)
    >
    > JJ

    I Think you guys (other than the trolls) are missing the most obvious
    solution to the problem of the pc locking up. ie: When was the last
    time you ran a Scandisk or Defrag on your machine? And if you have no
    idea what I'm talking about, then that's probably the first step to
    healing some of your woes. To run Scandisk click Start -> Programs ->
    Acessories -> System Tools -> Scandisk

    Defrag is the same path, just click on Defrag instead of Scandisk, but
    make sure you run the Scandisk first. Depending on how long it's been
    since these have been run on your system and how large your HDD is, it
    may take a while to run these (maybe even overnight). Also, you'll want
    to disable any screensavers that you have on there and stop any other
    programs from running, else it'll never finish. Hope this helps your
    problems.

    Swift
    Swift, Jan 16, 2004