adding ram, asus motherboard

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by alexander rickert, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. hello

    Since everyone is telling me to upgrade my Ram, I first looked at the
    spec of my motherboard.
    It says max limit 512RAM

    I already have 512Ram, and two slots left.

    What will happen if i add more ram? eg. 512mb sp i have 1024 totaly?
    Does the mobo accept that?

    These are the specs of my mobo:
    Asus TUSL2-C
    Socket 370 (PIII)
    CPU: PIII 1200mHz

    Is there a possibility to maken an update from the bios so it will
    accept another 512mb?
    Or is there another way to 'tweak a little?'

    Thx in advance

    Lex

    alexander rickert, Nov 15, 2004

  2. alexander rickert

    Ellis Guest

    "alexander rickert" <"alexander_rickert(removethis)"@telenet.be> wrote in
    message news:...
    > hello
    >
    > Since everyone is telling me to upgrade my Ram, I first looked at the
    > spec of my motherboard.
    > It says max limit 512RAM
    >
    > I already have 512Ram, and two slots left.
    >
    > What will happen if i add more ram? eg. 512mb sp i have 1024 totaly?

    If 512 Ram is the limit then that is it. You have reached the limit and it
    will not accept any more

    > Is there a possibility to maken an update from the bios so it will
    > accept another 512mb?
    > Or is there another way to 'tweak a little?'

    None that I have heard of.

    The specs of this mobod look a little dated although I am sure it would be a
    useful computer for someone who just wants to run MS Office and such like.

    If you want to do some high- powered gaming and stuff you will need to
    upgrade the motherboard. Some mobods are inexpensive, like the one I
    recently bought: an Asrock K7VT4a +. The problem is you also have to get new
    DDR memory. I bought 512 Mb which cost a lot more than the mobod. Also I had
    to get a new processor and a new video card. So, it can end up quite
    expensive.

    Incidentally, 512 Mb of Ram spread over three dimms slots looks a little
    sparse. The most you could have, I imagine, is two slots with 128 Mb and one
    slot with 256 Mb. On the other hand I have found that 512 Mb can run Windows
    XP quite comfortably. I would guess there are still a lot of people
    struggling along with less than 512 Mb.

    Good Luck

    Ellis

    Ellis, Nov 15, 2004

  3. alexander rickert

    Joe Guest

    > On the other hand I have found that 512 Mb can run Windows XP quite
    > comfortably. I would guess there are still a lot of people struggling
    > along with less than 512 Mb.

    I agreed with everything you said up to this point. With the exception of
    High end Gaming, Video and Audio editing and a few other thing 256 megs of
    ram is more than sufficient to run Windows XP. 512 would be overkill for the
    vast majority of users.

    Joe

    Joe, Nov 16, 2004
  4. alexander rickert

    derek / nul Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:49:17 GMT, alexander rickert
    <"alexander_rickert(removethis)"@telenet.be> wrote:

    >hello
    >
    >Since everyone is telling me to upgrade my Ram, I first looked at the
    >spec of my motherboard.
    >It says max limit 512RAM
    >
    >I already have 512Ram, and two slots left.
    >
    >What will happen if i add more ram? eg. 512mb sp i have 1024 totaly?
    >Does the mobo accept that?

    No, as the top address line is missing.

    >These are the specs of my mobo:
    >Asus TUSL2-C
    >Socket 370 (PIII)
    >CPU: PIII 1200mHz
    >
    >Is there a possibility to maken an update from the bios so it will
    >accept another 512mb?

    Have you visited the Asus web site?

    >Or is there another way to 'tweak a little?'

    I don't think so.

    derek / nul, Nov 16, 2004