    local printer for that machine, or alternatively is there some way of
    making a network printer appear for all users on that machine?
    Or perhaps of adding them to all the 400 existing users' profiles?

    Rob J, Jan 12, 2006

  2. Rob J

    bok Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > We have a Windows network with about 400 users with roaming profiles.
    >
    > They have all up until now printed directly to printers using TCP/IP
    > ports.
    >
    > We are now moving to print queues on the server i.e. \\servername
    > \printername.
    >
    > The main problem is that printers printing directly are local printers
    > and once added to each machine by the administrator, they appear for
    > every user who logs into that machine. Printers that are printing to
    > shared printers are network printers and they only appear for the user
    > who was logged on when the printer was added.
    >
    > Is there some means of making a printer that prints to a shared queue a
    > local printer for that machine, or alternatively is there some way of
    > making a network printer appear for all users on that machine?
    > Or perhaps of adding them to all the 400 existing users' profiles?

    There are several ways to achieve that. One is to use the WSH
    AddWindowsPrinterConnection method from a logon script. How many
    different methods would you like?

    bok, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Rob J

    Dave Taylor Guest

    bok <> wrote in news:43c5d204$:

    > How many
    > different methods would you like?

    Google Printui.dll batch file. ( I think that is what it is.)

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Rob J wrote:

    > We have a Windows network with about 400 users with roaming profiles.
    >
    > They have all up until now printed directly to printers using TCP/IP
    > ports.
    >
    > We are now moving to print queues on the server i.e. \\servername
    > \printername.
    >
    > The main problem is that printers printing directly are local printers
    > and once added to each machine by the administrator, they appear for
    > every user who logs into that machine. Printers that are printing to
    > shared printers are network printers and they only appear for the user
    > who was logged on when the printer was added.
    >
    > Is there some means of making a printer that prints to a shared queue a
    > local printer for that machine, or alternatively is there some way of
    > making a network printer appear for all users on that machine?
    > Or perhaps of adding them to all the 400 existing users' profiles?

    Checkout the Print Management Console in Windows Server 2003 R2

    The PMC can deploy printer connections to your users through Group
    Policy

    It can deploy printers:
    Per machine - useful for shared PCs
    Per user - printers 'follow' user

    To use it you right-click on a printer, select 'Deploy with Group
    Policy'

    http://www.microsoft.com/printserver

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Rob J wrote:
    >
    > > We have a Windows network with about 400 users with roaming profiles.
    > >
    > > They have all up until now printed directly to printers using TCP/IP
    > > ports.
    > >
    > > We are now moving to print queues on the server i.e. \\servername
    > > \printername.
    > >
    > > The main problem is that printers printing directly are local printers
    > > and once added to each machine by the administrator, they appear for
    > > every user who logs into that machine. Printers that are printing to
    > > shared printers are network printers and they only appear for the user
    > > who was logged on when the printer was added.
    > >
    > > Is there some means of making a printer that prints to a shared queue a
    > > local printer for that machine, or alternatively is there some way of
    > > making a network printer appear for all users on that machine?
    > > Or perhaps of adding them to all the 400 existing users' profiles?

    > Checkout the Print Management Console in Windows Server 2003 R2
    >
    > The PMC can deploy printer connections to your users through Group
    > Policy
    >
    > It can deploy printers:
    > Per machine - useful for shared PCs
    > Per user - printers 'follow' user
    >
    > To use it you right-click on a printer, select 'Deploy with Group
    > Policy'

    Is this in Windows Server 2003 SP1?

    Rob J, Jan 12, 2006
  6. The print server needs to be Win2k or greater. You will need to roll out a
    schema change on the AD

    http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/312b10cb-73ec-40c7-a4df-63dd7248d93d1033.mspx

    You will need a copy of Windows Server R2 but you can pick up some of the
    admin tools for XP to better understand how this works. Not all the
    functionality is there but read the technet article for full features.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f5-232a-4fb5-bc14-45bfd81b7ac1&DisplayLang=en

    pmcmgmt.exe
    --
    Alan Morris