    I have made a bunch of PDF progs and some images that I would like to
    combine into a single PDF folder.

    TIA
    Loony, Apr 14, 2012

  2. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello again Experts,
    >
    > I have made a bunch of PDF progs and some images that I would like to
    > combine into a single PDF folder.
    >
    > TIA

    What?

    A PDF file is just like any other file, you drop them into any folder you
    want. You make a folder under My Pictures (or anyplace else for that matter)
    and call it My PDF Files (or whatever you want), and then drop all of the
    PDF files into it that you want.

    Your question, as asked, is nonsensical. My guess is that your question is
    actually much different, but I cannot be sure. I'm guessing you want to add
    all of your PDFs into a single file, and you do this with References that
    are linked. Basically, you make a PDF (source file) of your vacation pics to
    the Bahamas, and another for the Desert Trip to drive the sand buggy, and
    another for the Ski Vacation to Aspen. You title them, Bahamas.pdf, Desert
    Trip.pdf, and Aspen.pdf. All of the pics are contained within these three
    files.

    You make a fourth (destination) PDF that is titled STUFF WE DID IN 2011, and
    wax eloquent about the fun you had and the money you spent, and include
    verbiage such as, see us naked in the Bahamas here, where "here" is a
    reference to Bahamas.pdf, and so on. You then have a PDF that has all of the
    places where you went in a single file.

    You need a distiller -- Adobe Acrobat is a good one -- that is able to go
    out and get the reference files and include the contents in the final
    desitnation file.
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 14, 2012

  3. Loony

    Ragnar Guest

    If you want to join several PDF files (NOT progs) into a single PDF file
    (NOT folder) then try a freeware PDF joiner like PDF Tools
    http://www.sheelapps.com/

    Hope this helps
    R.

    Ragnar, Apr 14, 2012
  4. Loony

    Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:
    > Hello again Experts,
    >
    > I have made a bunch of PDF progs and some images that I would like to
    > combine into a single PDF folder.
    >
    > TIA

    You need to convert all the files, to a common format, before attempting
    to append them together.

    That means, "saving" the images as Postscript or PDF files. (Exactly
    what to save to, really depends on the exact tool flow you finally
    decide to use.)

    Then, you'll need a tool for appending them.

    Ghostscript (free) can do anything you want, if you have the brain to
    drive it. It's command line based, which is why it is a pain to use.

    http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

    Some nice expensive Adobe program can do it. Adobe Reader only reads files.
    Adobe Acrobat (the reader program that also edits), can add or remove pages,
    and allow appending stuff. Adobe Distiller, can also combine documents together.
    Only Adobe Reader is free.

    One of the files included in the Xtras folder of Adobe Distiller, is Runfilex.ps ...
    You edit the file names listed in the script, before using it. So you'd
    change the six references to "Macintosh HD" to Windows file names. You
    won't get that right on the first try... You can add as many lines as you like,
    if you have more than six files. The "prun" operator does the appending.

    ********************* Runfilex.ps **********************************
    %!
    % PostScript program for distilling and combining multiple PostScript files.
    % When embedding font subsets, it is highly recommended you use this technique
    % to distill multiple PS files so only one font subset is used for each font.

    /prun { /mysave save def % Performs a save before running the PS file
    dup = flush % Shows name of PS file being run
    RunFile % Calls built in Distiller procedure
    clear cleardictstack % Cleans up after PS file
    mysave restore % Restores save level
    } def

    (Macintosh HD:Folder:Cover.ps) prun
    (Macintosh HD:Folder:TOC.ps) prun
    (Macintosh HD:Folder:Chapter1.ps) prun
    (Macintosh HD:Folder:Chapter2.ps) prun
    (Macintosh HD:Folder:Chapter3.ps) prun
    (Macintosh HD:Folder:Index.ps) prun

    % INSTRUCTIONS
    %
    % 1. Locate all PostScript files to be distilled.
    %
    % 2. Make a copy of this file and give it the name you want to have as the prefix
    % for the resulting file. For example, you could name this file MyBook.ps.
    %
    % 3. Include a line for each PostScript file to be run using the pathname syntax
    % appropriate for the platform running Acrobat Distiller.
    %
    % Macintosh pathname syntax: (Macintosh HD:Folder:File.ps) prun
    % Windows pathname syntax: (c:/mydir/file.ps) prun
    % UNIX pathname syntax: (./mydir/File.ps) prun
    %
    % Note: The syntax for Windows may look strange, but double escaping the
    % backslash character is required when using filenameforall.
    %
    % 4. Distill the file on the machine running Acrobat Distiller.
    ********************* Runfilex.ps **********************************

    To use that in a Ghostscript environment, you'd do this in Command Prompt.
    Obviously, the files in runfilex.ps have to exist, for this to work.
    If the path specification to the files inside runfilex.ps is wrong,
    the conversion attempt will error out.

    pstopdf runfilex.ps mysingleoutput.pdf

    As long as Ghostscript has the "Runfile" command in the interpreter, that
    should work. The runfilex.ps file could even contain references to
    "Chapter3.pdf" and it would still work (as Ghostscript handles both
    ..pdf and .ps on input).

    Purchasing a program that claims to append PDF files together, would
    also work, but cost money. I like free solutions, that waste my time instead...

    If you type "Append PDF" into your favorite search engine, you'll
    immediately be rewarded with programs to do it. For example, this
    is the first hit I got. I would *not* download from CNet, because
    it says "CNET installer", meaning they could try to give you a
    toolbar as part of the installation.

    http://download.cnet.com/Append-PDF/3000-2064_4-10412992.html

    Now, if I go to Traction Software (authors of that download), I
    can start to see the issues with using it.

    http://www.traction-software.co.uk/servertools/appendpdf/index.html

    Keep searching, and you're bound to find what you want.

    I do all sorts of stuff with Ghostscript, without reaching for any other tools.

    Have fun,
    Paul
    Paul, Apr 14, 2012
  5. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 14/04/2012 21:26, Paul wrote:
> [...]

    > ..pdf and .ps on input).
    >
    > Purchasing a program that claims to append PDF files together, would
    > also work, but cost money. I like free solutions, that waste my time instead...
    >
    > If you type "Append PDF" into your favorite search engine, you'll
    > immediately be rewarded with programs to do it. For example, this
    > is the first hit I got. I would *not* download from CNet, because
    > it says "CNET installer", meaning they could try to give you a
    > toolbar as part of the installation.
    >
    > http://download.cnet.com/Append-PDF/3000-2064_4-10412992.html
    >
    > Now, if I go to Traction Software (authors of that download), I
    > can start to see the issues with using it.
    >
    > http://www.traction-software.co.uk/servertools/appendpdf/index.html
    >
    > Keep searching, and you're bound to find what you want.
    >
    > I do all sorts of stuff with Ghostscript, without reaching for any other tools.

    Thaaaannnkkk!!! you Paul for that huge effort. I had started with Jeff's
    suggestion just after he posted and I fiddled for a while with PDF
    Creator and then I accidentally came across making the PDFs with
    OpenOffice.org Writer. It was very simple to use, extremely fast, and
    did a great job.

    Right now I have placed the PDFs in their own folders, side by side, and
    I am hoping that I can work them all into a single folder. I am also
    hoping that making sub-folders, with PDFs, works.

    I used Ghostscript about 10 years ago but not since then and I am hoping
    that the route I am on now is in the right direction. I have made a copy
    of your post for future use.

    Thanks again :)
    Loony, Apr 15, 2012
  6. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 14/04/2012 18:28, Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Loony" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello again Experts,
    >>
    >> I have made a bunch of PDF progs and some images that I would like to
    >> combine into a single PDF folder.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > What?

    Thanks Jeff for your efforts.

    > A PDF file is just like any other file, you drop them into any folder
    > you want. You make a folder under My Pictures (or anyplace else for that
    > matter) and call it My PDF Files (or whatever you want), and then drop
    > all of the PDF files into it that you want.

    I have made the PDF files and now I am trying to put them together.

    > Your question, as asked, is nonsensical.

    >"I have made a bunch of PDF progs and some images that I would like to
    > combine into a single PDF folder."

    This is nonsense? Please explain :)

    My guess is that your question
    > is actually much different, but I cannot be sure. I'm guessing you want
    > to add all of your PDFs into a single file,

    Exactly what I wanted to do :)

    > and you do this with
    > References that are linked. Basically, you make a PDF (source file) of
    > your vacation pics to the Bahamas, and another for the Desert Trip to
    > drive the sand buggy, and another for the Ski Vacation to Aspen. You
    > title them, Bahamas.pdf, Desert Trip.pdf, and Aspen.pdf. All of the pics
    > are contained within these three files.
    >
    > You make a fourth (destination) PDF that is titled STUFF WE DID IN 2011,
    > and wax eloquent about the fun you had and the money you spent, and
    > include verbiage such as, see us naked in the Bahamas here, where "here"
    > is a reference to Bahamas.pdf, and so on. You then have a PDF that has
    > all of the places where you went in a single file.

    OK, so I make a folder that contains all my subfolders.

    > You need a distiller -- Adobe Acrobat is a good one -- that is able to
    > go out and get the reference files and include the contents in the final
    > desitnation file.

    I have just discovered that Adobe Reader X does quite a lot :
    Create PDF online,
    Convert PDF to Word or Excel online,
    Share Files using SendNow Online, <======
    Get Document Signed.

    It seems that I am heading in the right direction.

    Thanks for your help.
    Loony, Apr 15, 2012
  7. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    > On 14/04/2012 18:28, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> "Loony" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello again Experts,
    >>>
    >>> I have made a bunch of PDF progs and some images that I would like to
    >>> combine into a single PDF folder.
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> What?

    > Thanks Jeff for your efforts.
    >
    >> A PDF file is just like any other file, you drop them into any folder
    >> you want. You make a folder under My Pictures (or anyplace else for that
    >> matter) and call it My PDF Files (or whatever you want), and then drop
    >> all of the PDF files into it that you want.

    > I have made the PDF files and now I am trying to put them together.
    >
    >> Your question, as asked, is nonsensical.

    > >"I have made a bunch of PDF progs and some images that I would like to
    > > combine into a single PDF folder."

    > This is nonsense? Please explain :)

    You can place as many files of any type into a folder, simply create the
    folder and drag the files into it. You want to combine (append) pdf files
    into another pdf. This is different than what you asked.

    > My guess is that your question
    >> is actually much different, but I cannot be sure. I'm guessing you want
    >> to add all of your PDFs into a single file,

    > Exactly what I wanted to do :)

    I thought so. This is not what you asked.

    >> and you do this with
    >> References that are linked. Basically, you make a PDF (source file) of
    >> your vacation pics to the Bahamas, and another for the Desert Trip to
    >> drive the sand buggy, and another for the Ski Vacation to Aspen. You
    >> title them, Bahamas.pdf, Desert Trip.pdf, and Aspen.pdf. All of the pics
    >> are contained within these three files.
    >>
    >> You make a fourth (destination) PDF that is titled STUFF WE DID IN 2011,
    >> and wax eloquent about the fun you had and the money you spent, and
    >> include verbiage such as, see us naked in the Bahamas here, where "here"
    >> is a reference to Bahamas.pdf, and so on. You then have a PDF that has
    >> all of the places where you went in a single file.

    > OK, so I make a folder that contains all my subfolders.

    Let me try something...

    Think of a hard drive as a 4-drawer file cabinet, and a folder as one of the
    drawers. You want financial stuff, so you open the top drawer. You need
    stuff about your house, so you open the second drawer. The family medical
    records in the third drawer, and so on. You arrange stuff into drawers, and
    then sub-divide the stuff into finer granularity by using the hanging
    folders, and then into even finer granularity with manilla folders set into
    the hanging folders.

    So, in the third drawer you have your family medical records. Then you have
    a hanging folder for you, your wife, each of the kids, and one for the dog.
    You might further divide those by year so you can to to the 1998 folder
    because that is the year your gall bladder was removed, or the 2004 folder
    because that's the year a kid was born.

    You organize the folders as you wish, and then put files into them.

    You don't need, "a folder that contains all my subfolders," you need a
    folder that contains all of your files. You could have a folder for
    VACATIONS, then one for Bahamas, one for Aspen, and one for Desert, then put
    files into the folders as appropriate. The files contained in the folders
    are the various PDFs you have created, and could even (should) contain the
    various picture and movie files. You can have a PDF file for the different
    content, and then have a "master" PDF file that has cross references to the
    other PDF files that have the various content.

    The terminology for what you are trying to do indicates to me that you are
    confused about files and folders. My analogy may become tedious but it
    actually does a pretty good job of explaining the role of folders and files.
    You can subdivide the drawers into as many parts as you need, or want, to
    help you store -- and then find again -- your stuff. But, there is a
    relationship issue that you are having that made me make my comment earlier
    about nonsensical.

    To add a level of complexity,
    You could post your pictures on a photo sharing site on the 'net, then write
    the PDF with cross references to the sharing site. You guys did a bathing
    suit optional vacation, and took loads of pictures, to the Bahamas. Instead
    of imbedding the pics into a PDF, you can past the link to the sharing
    bucket. This strategy makes the resulting PDF smaller, but comes with
    housekeeping overhead -- if the files are moved, then the PDF-based links
    (cross reference information) will be broken. The smaller PDF is perhaps
    better from a distribution perspective, but the housekeeping chore could
    become a headache. The determining factor is the size of the PDF file. If
    the file is huge, then it will not distribute well through some servers, and
    you may be required to post the pics on a sharing site and then make links
    to the files.

    >> You need a distiller -- Adobe Acrobat is a good one -- that is able to
    >> go out and get the reference files and include the contents in the final
    >> desitnation file.

    > I have just discovered that Adobe Reader X does quite a lot :
    > Create PDF online,
    > Convert PDF to Word or Excel online,
    > Share Files using SendNow Online, <======
    > Get Document Signed.
    >
    > It seems that I am heading in the right direction.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Adobe Reader is nothing more than a tool to read pdf files. You need an
    application that creates pdf files. It seems that you already have one of
    some sort, and, yes, it appears you are on the right path.
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 15, 2012
  8. Loony

    Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:

    > Thaaaannnkkk!!! you Paul for that huge effort. I had started with Jeff's
    > suggestion just after he posted and I fiddled for a while with PDF
    > Creator and then I accidentally came across making the PDFs with
    > OpenOffice.org Writer. It was very simple to use, extremely fast, and
    > did a great job.
    >
    > Right now I have placed the PDFs in their own folders, side by side, and
    > I am hoping that I can work them all into a single folder. I am also
    > hoping that making sub-folders, with PDFs, works.
    >
    > I used Ghostscript about 10 years ago but not since then and I am hoping
    > that the route I am on now is in the right direction. I have made a copy
    > of your post for future use.
    >
    > Thanks again :)

    The "Runfilex.ps" script for distilling together (appending) documents,
    takes full file path specifications. You can have files in two separate
    folders if you want. You just need to enter the full file paths correctly.
    In testing, these two formats seem to work in my Windows copy of GhostScript.

    (C:/mydirectory/lowerdirectory/filename.ps) prun

    (C:\\mydirectory\\lowerdirectory\\filename.ps) prun

    OK, now for a test run. I prepare my "runfilex.ps" file first.
    This is my test case.

    I have the same test file "printfonts.ps" stored in folder "a"
    and folder "b". I needed to change the "RunFile" in the script,
    to "run" to make it work.

    ******************* runfilex.ps ******************************
    %!
    /prun { /mysave save def % Performs a save before running
    dup = flush % Shows name of PS file being run
    run % Calls built in Distiller procedure
    clear cleardictstack % Cleans up after PS file
    mysave restore % Restores save level
    } def

    (C:/downloads/findutils/a/printfonts.ps) prun
    (C:/downloads/findutils/b/printfonts.ps) prun
    ******************* End of runfilex.ps ******************************

    I open a command prompt window to run it.

    I change directory (using cd command) to

    C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.63\lib

    Now, I have a special modification in my case. Since I work
    directly in the lib folder a lot (cd to it), I copied the
    files from the "bin" folder of GhostScript, into the "lib" folder,
    so they're one big happy family. (You do that, when you're too lazy
    to add GhostScript to the %path% environment variable for Windows.)

    (copy gswin32.exe, gswin32c.exe, gsdll32.dll, gsdll32.lib to the lib folder)

    Now, while I'm in the lib folder, I can do this in Command Prompt.

    ps2pdf13 runfilex.ps myoutputfile.pdf

    The ps2pdfxx.bat file, may need some modifications for this to work.
    Where it says "-dSAFER", you remove that so it'll run without
    complaining. If you don't edit that file and remove the "-dSAFER"
    option, GhostScript will output an "/invalidfileaccess in --run--"
    error. If the PostScript or PDF files mentioned in the runfilex.ps
    file were actually stored in the lib folder with all the other
    junk, I bet making that change would not be necessary.

    To edit "ps2pdfxx.bat", you go into explorer, and change the file
    name to "ps2pdfxx.bat.txt". Open the file with Wordpad and immediately
    save it. That will change the line endings to Windows line endings.
    You can then open it in the future, with either Wordpad or Notepad.
    Go to the line with the "-dSAFER" and delete it. You can make
    a notation in the file such as

    @rem I've been a bad boy, and removed the -dSAFER option in here...

    Once you save the ps2pdfxx.bat.txt from Notepad or Wordpad, go
    back to Explorer and change the filename back to ps2pdfxx.bat

    Now, when I run

    ps2pdf13 runfilex.ps myoutputfile.pdf

    it works. Since my objective was to concatenate two of the same
    documents together, I went from a three page doc, to a six page doc,
    and that proves to me it worked.

    For bonus points, now I'll test concatenating two PDF file. I put
    some test PDF files in the "a" and "b" folders, preparing for
    concatenation. Then modify my runfilex.ps file like so.

    %!
    /prun { /mysave save def % Performs a save before running
    dup = flush % Shows name of PS file being run
    run % Calls built in Distiller procedure
    clear cleardictstack % Cleans up after PS file
    mysave restore % Restores save level
    } def

    (C:/downloads/findutils/a/print.pdf) prun
    (C:/downloads/findutils/b/print.pdf) prun

    In this case, I'm taking a document from the "a" folder and a
    document from the "b" folder, and concatenating them.

    When I'm finished, I go back to the ps2pdfxx.bat file and
    put the -dSAFER option back in. It prevents malware-like
    attacks on the computer, while using GhostScript. Naturally,
    you only want to insert *trusted* content using this technique.
    For example, GhostScript can delete files from the computer,
    based on malware-containing .ps or .pdf files. The -dSAFER
    option is there to protect you. I know the contents of the
    documents I concatenated, because I wrote them.

    Paul
    Paul, Apr 15, 2012
  9. Loony

    kelly Guest