Adding PCI Cards - prevents BootUp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dihs, Oct 6, 2006.

1. dihs

dihs

I have an ACPI Compliant MoBo, with an AMD (Duron) cpu with 2 PCI Slots (white connectors); it would appear to have integrated Video on the MoBo, as there is no AGP Slot, & no other PCI Boards. When I checked the DeviceManager, it looks like I have an SiS PCI to ISA Bridge, & an SiS Processor to AGP Controller which (to my layman's mind) seems to confirm integrated Video Memory with RAM [especially given No (visible) AGP or PCI Cards].

I use a DLink USB WireLess NIC: which is great - but means I can not use it on my office-supplied Laptop. So, I bought a DLink WireLess Adaptor PCI Card. When I plugged into PCI Slot, it sent some sort of VideoOff signal to my HP MX70 Monitor on ReBoot - so (effectively) I can not BootUp with that installed. When I removed PCI Card - all was well with the world again. So, no WireLess Adaptor inside the box!

Then, with only 484Mb, I feel it is too cpu-bound, sharing Video with RAM, so I bought a PCI Sapphire Radeon 9250 Card - thinking that would relieve RAM use from Video, leaving me more processing power for Visio / hefty Excel, PowerPoint &c (MS Bloatware Apps). So, I plugged THAT into PCI Slot - same problems as above!!

That led me to believe that the PCI Slot was NBG; or could it be BIOS-related? Have any of you PC-knowledgeable gurus got any ideas, please ? Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
    dihs, Oct 6, 2006
    1. Advertising

2. dihs

bigal

dihs: You should start by using the PCI slots in order, with slot number one generally being the closest to the CPU. I highly recommend you enter the BIOS before adding in PCI cards to check on the settings - there probably won't be many adjustments you can make or even check. The main goal should be to ensure that the PCI bus is still enabled. You don't want to disable the integrated video until you can get the PCI videocard working. If there is a setting for selecting the preferred video output (integrated or PCI), then change that to PCI. Once the BIOS is checked / changed, finish the boot up and then shutdown to install the PCI videocard. Connect your monitor cable to the PCI videocard and power it up. If you see something on the monitor then your PCI videocard is working. If you see nothing, then there is something screwy going on with the BIOS or the motherboard itself.

The D-Link wireless PCI card might have a IRQ conflict with another device if you place it in a certain slot. These conflicts arise from IRQ sharing between devices. It's still worth trying your D-Link wireless PCI card in another PCI slot - try the last one, furtherest from the CPU. I generally have to install audio cards near the last of the PCI slots due to IRQ conflicts, so this is a common problem.

Hope this helps.

bigal, Oct 12, 2006
    1. Advertising