Adding Pacific Digital DVD-ROM to Compaq Presario 5010US

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by David, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I have recently purchased a Pacific Digital DVD-ROM and CDRW
    burner for my older computer (Compaq Presario 5010US running XP Pro).

    I installed the CDRW no problem to replace the broken Philips burner
    that came with it. Drive detected and burns no problem.

    Now the problem. When I add the DVD-ROM drive (which replaces the
    1st CD-ROM drive..the burner is second) the drive has power and
    gives startup messages (before windows loads) that it is seen.
    When windows xp is loaded "My Computer" does not show the
    drive at all. The drive is also not bootable. If I replace
    the DVD-ROM with the original CD-ROM it is recognized
    and works fine. ALSO..it I disconnect the CD-RW drive the DVD-ROM IS
    recognized..just not the CD-RW and DVD-ROM together. I have updated
    the bios from the hp site for my specific computer.
    PS I only paid $25.00 for BOTH these drives new so this is no great
    big deal but I would like to get both drives working if possible.
    Thanks and God bless.
    Dave

    David, Dec 19, 2003

  2. David

    jay Guest

    Have you set the jumpers on the drives?

    jay, Dec 19, 2003

  3. David

    David Guest

    "jay" <jek1010@sbcglobal.123net> wrote in message news:<DNIEb.74$>...
    > Have you set the jumpers on the drives?

    That was it...cant believe I didnt set this first...Thanks!
    Dave

    David, Dec 20, 2003
  4. David

    jay Guest

    no prob, a friend of mine did the same thing. He bought one of those dvd,cdr
    unit all in ones, And tryed installing it. Messed with it for a few hours.
    Could not get it to go. So he brought it to me 2 mins latter he was leaving
    with it working.

    jay, Dec 20, 2003