Adding new latop to wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bobby, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    I have established a wireless network at home. It consists of a modem-router
    connected to an ADSL connection. My desktop PC, notebook computer and
    daughter's notebook are all connected and working. My network is not
    secured. The connected computers use a mix of Windows and proprietary
    software to drive the wireless network devices (my desktop uses a relatively
    old Belkin wireless adaptor that only seems to work using the supplied
    driver).

    My wife bought a notebook today. It comes with built-in wireless. But I
    can't connect it to the Internet. It connects to my wireless network OK
    (according to the icon in the system tray it connects at 54Mbps) but I can't
    connect to the Internet nor do I see any workgroup computers when I look in
    Network Places (I get a message: "Home (my network name) is not accessible.
    You might not have permissions...").

    Help! Any advice would be appreciated!

    Cheers.

    Bobby
    Bobby, Apr 3, 2006

  2. Hi.
    Seeing signal in the Wireless configuration application, or reading
    somewhere in the system that you are connected, does not mean that you
    actually have a functional Wireless connection.
    If you can use the Internet with your Wireless Computer, the Wireless
    connection is OK. If you do not have an Internet connection available, a
    simple way to ascertain that you have a connection is to try to use the
    Internet Browser in a Wireless Client computer and find out if you can
    connect to the Router's (Access Point) Menus (see your hardware manual for
    the Router's IP Address, the login name and the password).
    If you cannot connect to the Router this might help.
    Once the Wireless is actually connected, you need to configure each computer
    Sharing settings. May be this can help http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 4, 2006

  3. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    Thanks Jack but it was Norton Symantec Internet Security that was blocking
    access.

    Yes, PC World supplied me with a wireless laptop that was disabled from
    connecting to the Internet by the pre-installed security software. Well, I
    suppose they would argue that my PC was very secure. ;-)

    Bobby

    Bobby, Apr 4, 2006
  4. Hello,
    My name is G.R. I just got a new laptop and I know that my router is set up
    correctly and working. I think the Norton or the windows firewall program on
    my computer is stopping me from being able to connect to the internet. How
    did you

    =?Utf-8?B?Ry5SLg==?=, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    I temporarily disabled Norton Internet Security (all the services) and when
    this worked I then completely removed Norton from the laptop.

    Hope this helps.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Apr 5, 2006
  6. Bobby

    Guest

    I'm having some strange problems with my internet sharing over my
    wireless network. I have three computers connected over the wireless
    network. One running xp which has a cable internet connection, one
    running windows 2000 and a laptop on xp. The wirelss network seems to
    be working as i can access files on all computers. I have shared the
    internet connection from the desktop running xp and run the network
    setup on each computer telling it the internet connection is on the
    wireless network. The 2000 computer can access all internet over the
    network as can the computer actually connected to the modem. The
    problem is with the laptop. I have run in on other wireless network
    and it has run fine, however on this one some things seem to be
    blocked. I've disabled the firewalls and antivirus software. For both
    internet explorere and firefox i can search on google and click on most
    links. but i can't run msn messenger or access hotmail.com, i can run
    skype and access other secure internet over the web but i can't access
    an online learning site for my university.
    any ideas on why some sites/programs work and others won't?? is the
    problem likely to be with my laptop or main computer sharing the
    internet??
    thanks
    , Apr 6, 2006
  7. Bobby

    T Guest

    "Bobby" <> wrote in message
    > I temporarily disabled Norton Internet Security (all the services) and

    when
    > this worked I then completely removed Norton from the laptop.

    You're joking right? leaving yourself wide-open isn't a solution. You have
    to configure the norton firewall to allow access to the subnet - usually
    192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 IP range (check your router). There may be other
    settings necessary, but that's the main thing.

    -Tony
    T, Apr 17, 2006