Adding new hardware in WinXP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ted, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Ted

    Ted Guest

    Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows how a hardware device gets added to the
    "Manufacturers/Models" list in the new hardware manager if the driver is not
    included with Windows.

    By this I mean:

    If you go into "Add Hardware" in the Windows Control Panel,
    select "Yes I have already connected the hardware" "even if you have not ;)
    Select "Add a new hardware device" from the bottom of the list,
    then select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list
    (Advanced),
    then "Show All Devices"

    you will get a list of Manufactures on the left, and hardware models on the
    right. Most of these seem to be drivers that are included with Windows, but
    I know that some hardware manufacturers can set up their drivers so that
    they show up on this list.

    Example:
    The Windows XP installation of SkyBound II from Jeppesen adds the
    manufacturer "Centennial" and the Driver "Linear Flash Memory Driver: Flash
    Tools" to this list (under the category of "PCMCIA and Flash Memory
    Devices").

    Among several other files, it includes these 3 (apparently) driver related
    files:
    Cecs2000.sys (located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers)
    and CeCS2000.inf, CeCS2000.PNF (located in C:\WINDOWS\inf)

    How is this driver getting on this list? Is it from the .sys file? from
    the .inf file? somewhere else?

    I would like to know this because I would like to be able to install their
    new hardware, SkyBound USB which does NOT show up on the list. This is not
    a problem if you can install the hardware automatically, but I can not. I
    would like to know if there is any way to play around with these kind of
    installation files to do a manual installation like in SkyBound2.
    Clicking "Have Disk" and pointing it to the installed JeppD.inf file does
    not work; it just says "The selected file does not include any information
    about your hardware". From examining the .inf file, it looks like the
    manufacturer should be "SmartModular" but this manufacturer does not show up
    on the list. I don't know if this is by design, or an oversight. . .

    Among several other files, it includes these 3 (apparently) driver related
    files:
    JeppD.sys (located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers)
    and JeppD.inf, JeppD.PNF (located in C:\WINDOWS\inf)

    Note: both these programs can be downloaded from Jeppesen's website if you
    want to see this behavior of where the drivers go, but I would caution
    against installing the SkyBound II driver all the way without the hardware
    inserted since it can do "strange" things to your computer including making
    it reboot. Don't blame me or the publisher of this software if you screw up
    your computer. You can go as far as seeing the manufacturer/model list
    though. You can get both of them at the link below. (The programs
    themselves are useless without the associated hardware and username/password
    info) :

    http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/index.jsp?section=support&content=technical_navdata.html

    Any help would be appreciated,

    -Ted

    Ted, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Ted

    pcbutts1 Guest

    It's put there by the information in the inf file. Which is loaded when you
    load the drivers. If it does not add it then it is a poorly written program
    or it has not passed MS certification or the programmer just does not want
    it there it could be any number of reasons.

    pcbutts1, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Ted

    Ted Guest

    Thanks. I kinda figured that it was the .inf file.

    Anyone know what part of the .inf file tells WinXP to add a
    manufacturer/model to the list and
    if this is something that can be tweaked?

    -Ted

    Ted, Oct 3, 2004