    happend i think i had checked the ps/2 compatible option in the Microsoft
    list of mouse option when i was able to get to the GUI..

    PLEASE HELP ASAP

    JoEyCrAcK, Sep 17, 2003

  2. JoEyCrAcK wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I am running RH9.0 and I decided i didn't want to use the mouse because i
    > was going to be moving around with my laptop for the day. So i decided to
    > go to the settings and take out the mouse and i checked the option No
    > Mouse thinking that if i did that then my touch pad would work instead.
    > Well i was wrong because when i boot up now it doesn't go to the GUI, it
    > goes straight to the Linux command login prompt. So my question is, Can
    > someone give me the command to add my mouse back on so it could detect it
    > or what not.
    > I have a Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1A PS/2 Compatible. Before all this
    > happend i think i had checked the ps/2 compatible option in the Microsoft
    > list of mouse option when i was able to get to the GUI..
    >
    > PLEASE HELP ASAP

    Have you tried asking in a Linux newsgroup?
    Have you tried a search through google groups?

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Sep 18, 2003

  3. JoEyCrAcK

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:04:27 GMT, JoEyCrAcK wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I am running RH9.0 and I decided i didn't want to use the mouse because i
    >was going to be moving around with my laptop for the day. So i decided to go

    The magic laptop model / part code is.......

    >to the settings and take out the mouse and i checked the option No Mouse

    What settings.

    >thinking that if i did that then my touch pad would work instead. Well i was

    The touch pad is a mouse, think about it
    finger / pad - pointer
    buttons l/r - buttons l/r

    >wrong because when i boot up now it doesn't go to the GUI, it goes straight
    >to the Linux command login prompt. So my question is, Can someone give me

    Use 'startx' to launch the gui.

    The file which determines the startup mode is /etc/inittab. There is a
    list of lines number, mode description -

    default = X, where X is one of
    0 - shutdown (don't make this the default)
    1 - single user mode
    3 - cmd prompt full networking
    5 - gui mode
    (can't remember the rest)

    You can view this file by doing

    more /etc/inittab

    >the command to add my mouse back on so it could detect it or what not.

    Does the mouse work in com prompt mode? The bit that handles that is
    'gpm'

    >I have a Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1A PS/2 Compatible. Before all this
    >happend i think i had checked the ps/2 compatible option in the Microsoft
    >list of mouse option when i was able to get to the GUI..
    >
    >PLEASE HELP ASAP

    Linux groups, RedHat online tech support / docs / setup / configuration
    manuals , www.redhat.com

    www.google.com
    Searched English pages for gpm mouse.

    Searched English pages for gpm mouse redhat.

    Searched English pages for redhat mouse touchpad.

    Me

    why?, Sep 18, 2003