    software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but find it
    is still slow.

    thank you

    moi, Jan 25, 2005

  2. moi

    °Mike° Guest

    ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
    in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
    clean your system. Then check for spyware/malware.
    Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
    if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
    Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
    have the latest version of removal tools:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
    Now maintained by InterMute
    http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:15:22 -0500, in
    <>
    moi scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 25, 2005

  3. moi

    moi Guest

    Thanks

    moi, Jan 25, 2005
  4. moi

    moi Guest

    Again thanks
    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > "moi" <> wrote in message
    > >I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
    > >
    > > If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in
    > > opening
    > > software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but

    find
    > > it
    > > is still slow.
    > >
    > > thank you
    > >

    > Depends on other factors as well such as what OS you are using and the
    > efficiency of the motherboard, what software you are using and how

    efficient

    moi, Jan 25, 2005
  5. moi

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Jan 25, 2005
  6. moi

    Martik Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
    > in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
    > clean your system. Then check for spyware/malware.
    > Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
    > if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
    > Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
    > have the latest version of removal tools:
    >
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    > SpyBot S&D guide
    > http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
    >
    > Ad-Aware SE
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    > Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
    > IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention
    >
    > Spyware Blaster
    >
    > CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    > http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
    > Now maintained by InterMute
    > http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html
    > http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe
    >

    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:15:22 -0500, in
    > <>
    > moi scrawled:
    >
    >>I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
    >>
    >>If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in
    >>opening
    >>software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but find
    >>it
    >>is still slow.
    >>
    >>thank you
    >>

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Or ignore Mike's good advise and use Linux. Mandrake is a good start. Then
    you can use your computer for other things besides preventing attacks.

    Martik, Jan 25, 2005
  7. moi

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:38:09 -0500, in
    <>
    moi scrawled:

    >Thanks
    >

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
    >> in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
    >> clean your system. Then check for spyware/malware.
    >> Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
    >> if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
    >> Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
    >> have the latest version of removal tools:

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 25, 2005
  8. moi

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jan 25, 2005
  9. moi

    Graham Guest

    512MB is certainly advantagous if you do any work with photos etc larger
    files or graphic intensive programs. You will notice a big increase in
    preformance if you use some of the cleaner adaware progs mentioned already
    also

    Graham, Jan 25, 2005
  10. Martik wrote:

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
    >>in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
    >>clean your system. Then check for spyware/malware.
    >>Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
    >>if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
    >>Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
    >>have the latest version of removal tools:
    >>
    >>Spybot Search & Destroy
    >>http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    >>SpyBot S&D guide
    >>http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
    >>
    >>Ad-Aware SE
    >>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >>Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
    >>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
    >>IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    >>http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention
    >>
    >>Spyware Blaster
    >>http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    >>
    >>CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    >>http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
    >>Now maintained by InterMute
    >>http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html
    >>http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe
    >>

    >>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:15:22 -0500, in
    >> <>
    >> moi scrawled:
    >>

    >>>I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
    >>>
    >>>If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in
    >>>opening
    >>>software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but find
    >>>it
    >>>is still slow.
    >>>
    >>>thank you
    >>>

    >>--
    >>Basic computer maintenance
    >>http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    > Or ignore Mike's good advise and use Linux. Mandrake is a good start. Then
    > you can use your computer for other things besides preventing attacks.

    Yeah, I made my old computer into a big paper weight with Fedora. Of
    course, it was underpowered for the task at hand. It allowed Linux to
    install and I can even get to the desktop. But almost anything else I
    want to do it freezes up and lays there just as dead as any Windows box.
    So, I guess it depends, eh?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 25, 2005
  11. moi

    serge Guest

    Thanks all I have lotsa info now

    serge, Jan 26, 2005
  12. moi

    jp10558 Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:15:22 -0500, moi wrote:

    > I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
    >
    > If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed

    increase in opening
    > software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the

    PC but find it
    > is still slow.
    >
    > thank you

    The big question - as already hinted - is what is causing the
    slowdown...

    512MB is a good place to be with RAM now adays, but far from
    necessary - I run my laptop with WinXP home on 256 fine - for
    watching DVDs and taking text notes. Not so great for gaming...

    On an average computer, RAM is a better investment than CPU for
    perceptual gains. However, a large bottleneck now adays is
    simply the comparatively slow perephial access speeds,
    specifically hard disks.

    All of this is great theory, what about YOUR PC?

    Well, what is it slow in doing? You say opening programs. Any
    software program must get from it's "storage" space to your CPU
    to run.

    Depending on where you story your software, it might be on a
    network, on a CD, or on your harddrive. Think about your
    computer as a stack if you will - with the CPU on the top, and
    the network on the bottom, thusly:

    CPU
    Cache
    RAM
    RAMdisk
    HardDrive
    SCSI Ultra
    SATA
    ATA
    CD
    USB Flash Drive
    Floppy
    Network

    Now, some of this order is debatable, but it's clear enough for
    our purposes. The closer you can get your program to the CPU,
    the faster it will start (usually). So the first thing is to get
    the programs you want to start up fast as near to the CPU as you
    can. Note, under HardDrive, I've listed levels - these are
    different kinds of hard drives.

    So if your slow program is on a CD, try placing it on a
    harddrive instead.
    If it's on an ATA harddrive, you might get a SATA drive to
    replace it, and get a faster load there... If it's on the drive,
    but still loading slow, you could get(software or hardware) it
    into a RAMDrive(not recommended really, but just for example).

    Getting more RAM with a modern OS achieves automatically what
    you *might* accomplish with a RAMdrive. It will do diskcaching
    of files on the HD it thinks you will access soon. This prevents
    some of your HD reads, and causes a large speedup.

    Now, if your slowdown is because of some processing that must
    occur to start the program (like, say FileTopia that generates a
    256 bit random seed on every start), rather than the major
    slowdown coming from just loading the data somewhere useable,
    then you would have to increase your processor speed to speed
    that up.

    So, it's not exactly simple.

    jp10558, Jan 26, 2005
  13. moi

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    | Martik wrote:
    |
    | > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | >>ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
    | >>in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
    | >>clean your system.

    <snip>

    | > Or ignore Mike's good advise and use Linux. Mandrake is a good start.
    Then
    | > you can use your computer for other things besides preventing attacks.
    |
    | Yeah, I made my old computer into a big paper weight with Fedora. Of
    | course, it was underpowered for the task at hand. It allowed Linux to
    | install and I can even get to the desktop. But almost anything else I
    | want to do it freezes up and lays there just as dead as any Windows box.
    | So, I guess it depends, eh?

    You got THAT right. Truth is, most of the 'full-blown' Linux installs
    require pretty hefty hardware - often as much as Windows needs.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 26, 2005
  14. moi

    Martik Guest

    > | Yeah, I made my old computer into a big paper weight with Fedora. Of
    > | course, it was underpowered for the task at hand. It allowed Linux to
    > | install and I can even get to the desktop. But almost anything else I
    > | want to do it freezes up and lays there just as dead as any Windows box.
    > | So, I guess it depends, eh?
    >
    > You got THAT right. Truth is, most of the 'full-blown' Linux installs
    > require pretty hefty hardware - often as much as Windows needs.

    No performance or install issues with Mandrake on a Athlon 1700 + 256mb ram.
    Maybe you should give it another chance. The Yoper distro is 'lightning
    fast'.

    Martik, Jan 26, 2005
  15. moi

    Ron Martell Guest

    "moi" <> wrote:

    >I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
    >
    >If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in opening
    >software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but find it
    >is still slow.
    >
    >thank you

    Adding more memory can noticeably improve performance only if the
    added memory results in reduced usage of the virtual memory swap file.
    Therefore if the swap file is not currently being used to any
    significant extent then adding more memory will not provide a
    significant improvement.

    If you are running Windows 98 or Windows Me use the System Monitor
    utility that comes with Windows and use Edit - Add to set it to track
    "Memory manager: Swap file in use" for several days of normal to heavy
    usage. If "Swap file in use" regularly shows as 20 mb or more then
    the swap file is being used extensively and more memory would result
    in improved performance. Otherwise it is not likely to make any
    noticeable difference.

    If you are running Windows XP there is a free utility that you can
    download and run which will provide this information for you. It was
    written by MVP Bill James and you can get if from
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
    http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/

    If that utility shows actual page file usage of 50 mb or more on a
    regular basis then that is indicative of fairly significant paging
    file activity. Adding more RAM will reduce or even eliminate entirely
    this activity thereby improving performance.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jan 27, 2005
  16. you may see some programs increase in starting up times but the most will be
    visible when having multiple programs open and system stability.

    robert andrews, Jan 28, 2005