Adding Memory

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by BH, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. BH

    BH Guest

    Been looking at new computers, but my friend says I should just upgrade
    mine. My computer is often low on resources and frequently freezes up.
    I checked my registry and it said there was no problems. He says I
    should install Windows XP and put in another stick of memory.

    So if I buy another 128MB of memory, that brings me up to 320MB. The
    max is 384. When buying new, they tell me not to settle for less than
    512. So would it be better to do what my friend says and save a few
    hundred, or buy new?

    Here's what I have. It's 5 years old. Forgive me if I leave out any
    vital stats.

    Compaq Presario 5838

    Standard Memory: 64MB (Removable)
    128MB (Removable)
    Maximum Memory: 384MB
    Expansion: 3 Sockets
    CPU & ChipSet: AMD Athlon 500 MHz
    Bus Architecture: AGP; ISA; PCI
    Manufacturer System PN: 153298-003; 153298-054

    Any advice is appreciated, as I'm not to up on computers, but am trying
    to do the best with what I've got already. Thanks again.

    BH, Oct 30, 2004

  2. BH

    HF Guest

    XP will want more resources. So much for the friendly advice. Look at www.crucial.com for memory and advice. There is so much advice from this person and that person and usually it is urban myths.Buying 128 of the RIGHT memory for your machine is not going to cost an arm and a leg so why not do it.Check the results and go from there.XP will give you more freezes than you can imagine if you havent a lot of processor power and memory.Take a look at www.computerhope.com and a few more sites and get authentic information.Take a deep breath and build your own machine. It is not rocket science. Stick 'build a PC' in your address bar and press Enter.Be amazed at what you find. HF

    "BH" <> wrote in message news:uAFgd.1123$...
[...]

    ---

    HF, Oct 30, 2004

  3. BH

    ArtKramr Guest

    >ubject: Adding Memory
    >From: BH
    >Date: 10/29/2004 10:24 PM Pacific Standard Time

    >--------------080604070400070208060702
    >
    >Been looking at new computers, but my friend says I should just upgrade
    >mine. My computer is often low on resources and frequently freezes up.
    >I checked my registry and it said there was no problems. He says I
    >should install Windows XP and put in another stick of memory.
    >
    >So if I buy another 128MB of memory, that brings me up to 320MB. The
    >max is 384. When buying new, they tell me not to settle for less than
    >512. So would it be better to do what my friend says and save a few
    >hundred, or buy new?
    >
    >Here's what I have. It's 5 years old. Forgive me if I leave out any
    >vital stats.
    >
    >Compaq Presario 5838
    >
    >Standard Memory: 64MB (Removable)
    > 128MB (Removable)
    >Maximum Memory: 384MB
    >Expansion: 3 Sockets
    >CPU & ChipSet: AMD Athlon 500 MHz
    >Bus Architecture: AGP; ISA; PCI
    >Manufacturer System PN: 153298-003; 153298-054
    >

    >Any advice is appreciated, as I'm not to up on computers, but am trying
    >to do the best with what I've got already. Thanks again.
    >
    >--------------080604070400070208060702

    >says I should just upgrademine. My computer is often low on resources and
    >frequently freezesup. I checked my registry and it said there was no
    >problems. He saysI should install Windows XP and put in another stick of
    >memory.
    >
    >So if I buy another 128MB of memory, that brings me up to 320MB. Themax is
    >384. When buying new, they tell me not to settle for less than512. So would
    >it be better to do what my friend says and save a fewhundred, or buy new?
    >
    >Here's what I have. It's 5 years old. Forgive me if I leave out anyvital
    >stats.
    >
    >Compaq Presario 5838

    >cellspacing="0" width="500"> <tbody> <tr> <td align="right"
    >valign="top">StandardMemory: </td> <td align="left" valign="top"> 64MB
    >(Removable)
    > 128MB (Removable)
    >MaximumMemory: </td> <td align="left" valign="top"> 384MB
    >ChipSet: </td> <td align="left" valign="top"> AMDAthlon 500 MHz
    >BusArchitecture: </td> <td align="left" valign="top"> AGP;ISA; PCI
    >ManufacturerSystem PN: </td> <td align="left" valign="top">
    >Any advice is appreciated, as I'm not to up on computers, but am tryingto do
    >the best with what I've got already. Thanks again.

    A mere $500 buys you a Dell with Windows XP installed.It'll take 500 mb of
    RAM and comes with 40mb hard drive And everything is upgradeable. You even get
    a free cd burner. It'll solve all your problems in one shot for not many bucks.
    Do it.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Oct 30, 2004
  4. BH

    Ken [NY) Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 05:24:42 GMT, BH <>
    claims:

    >Been looking at new computers, but my friend says I should just upgrade
    >mine. My computer is often low on resources and frequently freezes up.
    >I checked my registry and it said there was no problems. He says I
    >should install Windows XP and put in another stick of memory.
    >
    >So if I buy another 128MB of memory, that brings me up to 320MB. The
    >max is 384. When buying new, they tell me not to settle for less than
    >512. So would it be better to do what my friend says and save a few
    >hundred, or buy new?
    >
    >Here's what I have. It's 5 years old. Forgive me if I leave out any
    >vital stats.
    >
    >Compaq Presario 5838
    >
    >Standard Memory: 64MB (Removable)
    > 128MB (Removable)
    >Maximum Memory: 384MB
    >Expansion: 3 Sockets
    >CPU & ChipSet: AMD Athlon 500 MHz
    >Bus Architecture: AGP; ISA; PCI
    >Manufacturer System PN: 153298-003; 153298-054
    >

    >Any advice is appreciated, as I'm not to up on computers, but am trying
    >to do the best with what I've got already. Thanks again.

    Listen to your friend. I too have a Compaq Presario 5838 that
    was constantly freezing up and running slow. I used Diskeeper Pro to
    defrag the drives, and eventually bought the upgrade to move up to XP.
    Now the darn thing purrs like a kitten - like a new computer. XP is
    solid and reliable.
    Of course another 128 megs of RAM would make it fly, but I
    have not had any problems without it.

    Good morning. Or as Jean-Fran├žois Kerry would say, Bonjour.

    Ken (NY)

    "Almost no one disagrees with these basic facts: that
    Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a menace; that he has
    weapons of mass destruction and that he is doing everything
    in his power to get nuclear weapons; that he has supported
    terrorists..."
    --John Edwards October 10, 2002

    Beer comes 24 cans in a case.
    There are 24 hours in a day.
    Coincidence?

    email:
    http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

    spammers can send mail to

    Ken [NY), Oct 30, 2004
  5. BH

    BH Guest

    Thanks much. He said the 5838 was a good machine compared to new
    models, so I'll give it a shot.

    BH, Oct 30, 2004
  6. BH

    WebWalker Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 05:24:42 GMT, BH <> wrote:

    >CPU & ChipSet: AMD Athlon 500 MHz

    I believe it should be AMD K6 500Mhz (socket 7 processor).
    Btw it is a bit slow to run Win XP. I will go for Win98SE.

    --
    WebWalker

    WebWalker, Oct 31, 2004