    MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
    Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?

    Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

    anthead, Jul 1, 2006

  2. anthead

    pen Guest

    "anthead" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have an old compaq presario 5220.
    >
    > I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
    > MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
    > Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

    The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots with a
    max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for $30 each.
    You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

    pen, Jul 1, 2006

  3. anthead

    RSF Group Guest

    pen wrote:
    > "anthead" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I have an old compaq presario 5220.
    > >
    > > I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
    > > MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
    > > Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?
    > >
    > > Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

    > The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots with a
    > max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for $30 each.
    > You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

    Thanks. Do you know any sites that give instruction on installing?

    RSF Group, Jul 1, 2006
  4. anthead

    pen Guest

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...Compaq&tabid=AM&model=Presario 5220&submit=Go

    pen, Jul 1, 2006
  5. anthead

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, "RSF
    Group" <> wrote:

    > pen wrote:
    > > "anthead" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I have an old compaq presario 5220.
    > > >
    > > > I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
    > > > MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
    > > > Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?
    > > >
    > > > Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

    > > The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots with a
    > > max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for $30 each.
    > > You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

    > Thanks. Do you know any sites that give instruction on installing?

    Click "Install Guide" on this page:

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...Compaq&tabid=AM&model=Presario 5220&submit=Go

    Where it says "Turn off the computer, monitor, and all accessories
    (printer, speakers, etc.)", that means turn off the switch on
    the back of the computer. The purpose of doing that, is to
    make sure that the +5VSB power supply is turned off. Some
    motherboards have a green LED, and the LED is powered by
    +5VSB. If you see a green LED glowing, it means the power
    is not turned off.

    If you are not sure how to turn off the power completely,
    unplugging the computer will also achieve the same result.
    The reason Crucial wanted the cord to remain connected,
    is the ground wire of the AC cord, helps provide a path
    for static discharge, and you are more likely to brush
    against your computer case and discharge any static
    electricity, into the computer case and into the ground
    wire. If you touch the computer case, before you
    touch any components inside the computer, that brings
    the static level of you and the computer, to the same
    level.

    Try to handle the modules by the edges. At the very
    least, keep your fingerprints off the gold contacts.
    The salt in your fingerprints, can affect the metals
    underneath the gold plating finish. The gold plating
    is very thin.

    Make sure any notches in the module (in the middle of
    the gold fingers), line up with the plastic key in
    the DIMM slot on the motherboard. Since it takes a bit
    of force to seat the memory module, you want to make
    sure you're inserting the memory the right-way-round.
    There are two ways to insert the memory, one way being
    a 180 degree rotation of the correct way, and if the
    notch doesn't line up with the key, it will never snap
    into place. Of course, the gold fingers mate with the
    socket, so no, don't turn it upside down and tell me
    there are even more ways to plug it in :)

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 1, 2006
  6. anthead

    Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > There are two ways to insert the memory, one way being
    > a 180 degree rotation of the correct way, and if the
    > notch doesn't line up with the key, it will never snap
    > into place. Of course, the gold fingers mate with the
    > socket, so no, don't turn it upside down and tell me
    > there are even more ways to plug it in :)
    >
    > Paul

    lol. I bet someone's done it somewhere.

    NT

    , Jul 2, 2006
  7. anthead

    Guest

    pen wrote:
    > "anthead" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I have an old compaq presario 5220.
    > >
    > > I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
    > > MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
    > > Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?
    > >
    > > Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

    > The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots with a
    > max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for $30 each.
    > You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

    You'd probably be best to use 2x 128s and leave the 64 stick out. Using
    a 3rd ram stick creates a high incidence of problems. Many 3 and 4 slot
    mobos dont really support use of more than 2 sticks, and with the ones
    that do you'll get a lower RAM speed rating with 3 sticks. Presumably
    you want PC100 SDRAM.

    NT

    , Jul 2, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    writes
    >Paul wrote:
    >
    >> There are two ways to insert the memory, one way being
    >> a 180 degree rotation of the correct way, and if the
    >> notch doesn't line up with the key, it will never snap
    >> into place. Of course, the gold fingers mate with the
    >> socket, so no, don't turn it upside down and tell me
    >> there are even more ways to plug it in :)
    >>
    >> Paul

    >lol. I bet someone's done it somewhere.

    I will not take the bet. Last time I saw it done was in a City and
    Guilds PC Technician examination! Two examinees managed to do it in one
    exam. Burnt out the RAM sticks and the motherboard. How they did it, I
    do not know!

    Mate of mine used to have a cartoon of a person with a giant screwdriver
    through his middle, blood dripping off the end and a caption "No matter
    how hard you try, someone will F**k it up"
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    Nicholas D Richards, Jul 2, 2006
  9. anthead

    RSF Group Guest

    wrote:
    > pen wrote:
    > > "anthead" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I have an old compaq presario 5220.
    > > >
    > > > I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
    > > > MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
    > > > Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?
    > > >
    > > > Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

    > > The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots with a
    > > max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for $30 each.
    > > You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

    > You'd probably be best to use 2x 128s and leave the 64 stick out. Using
    > a 3rd ram stick creates a high incidence of problems. Many 3 and 4 slot
    > mobos dont really support use of more than 2 sticks, and with the ones
    > that do you'll get a lower RAM speed rating with 3 sticks. Presumably
    > you want PC100 SDRAM.

    How easy/difficult is it to pull out the ram stick? Is it just a
    matter of using force or is there something else?

    Thanks.

    RSF Group, Jul 3, 2006
  10. anthead

    Rod Speed Guest

    RSF Group <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> pen wrote:
    >>> "anthead" <> wrote in message

    >>> The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots
    >>> with a max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for
    >>> $30 each. You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

    >> You'd probably be best to use 2x 128s and leave the 64 stick out.
    >> Using a 3rd ram stick creates a high incidence of problems. Many 3
    >> and 4 slot mobos dont really support use of more than 2 sticks, and
    >> with the ones that do you'll get a lower RAM speed rating with 3
    >> sticks. Presumably you want PC100 SDRAM.
    >>

    > How easy/difficult is it to pull out the ram stick? Is it just a
    > matter of using force or is there something else?

    There should be levers at each end of the stick, on the socket.

    Rod Speed, Jul 3, 2006
  11. anthead

    El Bandito Guest

    just push down the two clips retaining the memory stick. It will come out
    easily.

    --

    (\_ _/)

    El Bandito, Jul 4, 2006
  12. anthead

    Guest

    Can I use any brand to upgrade memory on my Compaq Presario 5220?

    pen wrote:
    > "anthead" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I have an old compaq presario 5220.
    > >
    > > I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
    > > MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
    > > Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?
    > >
    > > Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

    > The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots with a
    > max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for $30 each.
    > You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

    On ebay, I notice alot of 128 MB 100 MHz Dimm chips.
    Can I use any of them, whether it's from dell, micron, etc, etc?
    Or, do I have to use ones made by Compaq?

    For example, will these work?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Two-128mb-PC1...9QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14916QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    http://cgi.ebay.com/KINGSTON-128MB-...5QQihZ001QQcategoryZ14916QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kingston-12...6QQihZ008QQcategoryZ14916QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    , Jul 17, 2006
  13. anthead

    Ben Myers Guest

    Re: Can I use any brand to upgrade memory on my Compaq Presario 5220?

    The Presario 5220 can use any good quality PC100 non-parity non-ECC SDRAM. Buy
    a recognized brand (Crucial, Kingston, Simple) from a supplier with a good
    reputation.

    If someone tells you that you need Compaq branded memory, that is hogwash and
    bullshit... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 17, 2006