    adjustment I made in the settings was from 800x600x32 to 1024x768x32
    screen resolution.

    Could it be bad memory or something?

    Mike, Mar 11, 2006

  2. Mike

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > I just upgraded my PC this morning with another 1gb of memory (I had
    > 1gb PC3200 DDR 400 memory). I have noticed that my temps in ATiTool
    > 0.24 have went up about 5 degrees since the memory installation. I
    > realize that the ATiTool is measuring GPU temps, but should new memory
    > add to the temps inside my case at all?
    >
    > I have excellent ventilation happening inside my case and a Zalman fan
    > on my PowerColor X800XL PCI-E video card which dropped my temps by 9
    > degrees a month or so ago when I bought it. Now my temps seem to be
    > creeping back up there since the memory install this morning.
    >
    > Also, went to play GTA:San Adreas to test it out with the new memory
    > and it restarted my computer twice; I mean complete reboot. The only
    > adjustment I made in the settings was from 800x600x32 to 1024x768x32
    > screen resolution.
    >
    > Could it be bad memory or something?

    Change your settings back to 800x600 and check temperatures again. You
    have just complicated things and assumed the addition of the extra RAM
    has caused the increase in temperature. I think it reasonable to
    assume the increase in resolution makes the card work harder.....

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Mike

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-11, Mike <> wrote:
    > I just upgraded my PC this morning with another 1gb of memory (I had
    > 1gb PC3200 DDR 400 memory). I have noticed that my temps in ATiTool
    > 0.24 have went up about 5 degrees since the memory installation. I
    > realize that the ATiTool is measuring GPU temps, but should new memory
    > add to the temps inside my case at all?
    >
    > I have excellent ventilation happening inside my case and a Zalman fan
    > on my PowerColor X800XL PCI-E video card which dropped my temps by 9
    > degrees a month or so ago when I bought it. Now my temps seem to be
    > creeping back up there since the memory install this morning.
    >
    > Also, went to play GTA:San Adreas to test it out with the new memory
    > and it restarted my computer twice; I mean complete reboot. The only
    > adjustment I made in the settings was from 800x600x32 to 1024x768x32
    > screen resolution.
    >
    > Could it be bad memory or something?

    I agree with Oldus Fartus; only change one thing at a time, otherwise you
    can't easily work out which change is having what effect.

    RAM chips certainly do generate heat - that's why some memory cards
    incorporate heat sinks. Adding more things to your system will also change
    the flow of the air inside the case - and make the power-supply work
    harder.

    As for the crashing: yes, you may have faulty RAM, or a faulty connector,
    or the power supply may be straining to keep up, or the CPU may be
    overheating. Eliminate one thing at a time.

    Presumably your OS and motherboard can actually handle all the RAM you
    have installed, and all the RAM is compatible with all the other RAM, and
    so on.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 11, 2006
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Changed my settings back in the game itself as this is where I made the
    change originally. Just tried it again and the game still crashes 5 or
    so seconds in. It never did that before I added the new RAM. When the
    computer restarts, I quickly load the ATiTool and the temp is up around
    45-47 and it takes a few minutes for it to drop again. Before, it would
    drop rather quickly back to around 41 in a matter of seconds when I
    would get out of a game.

    Like I said, nothing changed except for the addition of the new memory
    this morning.

    Thanks again,
    Mike

    Mike, Mar 11, 2006
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    The power supply is a Dual +12V 550w one, so I assume it should be
    powerful enough to handle my system.

    I did forget to mention that I changed my paging file system size to an
    initial size of 2048mb and max size of 3045mb in the virtual memory. I
    read somewhere this morning that those were acceptable settings for a
    computer with 2gb of RAM.

    The RAM I added is Corsair ValueSelect DDR modules while the RAM that
    was already installed is a lesser name RAM I believe. Maybe they don't
    get along or something.

    Running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 Edition with all the
    updates, P4 3.0ghz system with 2mb of cache and hyper-threading. 550
    watt dual 12v power supply and a PowerColor x800lx PCI-E video card
    with a Zalman fan on it.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike, Mar 12, 2006
  6. Mike

    Guest

    Try this

    1) Remove old RAM
    2) Put New RAM where Old Ram was
    3) Try to play game. Does it bomb out?
    if yes memory is bad
    if no
    4) Put old ram in where new ram was
    5) Try to play game. Does it bomb out?
    if yes memory is incompatable

    , Mar 12, 2006
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I followed what you said and the new RAM worked perfect on its own as
    1024mb. So I put the old RAM back in its original slots (1,2) and put
    the new RAM in slots 3,4 and GTA San Andreas loaded perfect and I
    played it for over an hour without any problems.

    Am going to try it again in the morning with my FEAR (which also cut
    out after 15mins or so yesterday) and see if it plays okay without
    rebooting.

    Could it be that the original memory must be in slots 1,2 for a reason
    or is it just wishful thinking on my part? By older I mean that it was
    the original memory that came with the system when I bought it (2 -
    512mb Nanya PC 3200 400mhz).

    Thanks again,
    Mike

    Mike, Mar 12, 2006
  8. Mike

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-12, Mike <> wrote:
    > I followed what you said and the new RAM worked perfect on its own as
    > 1024mb. So I put the old RAM back in its original slots (1,2) and put
    > the new RAM in slots 3,4 and GTA San Andreas loaded perfect and I
    > played it for over an hour without any problems.
    >
    > Am going to try it again in the morning with my FEAR (which also cut
    > out after 15mins or so yesterday) and see if it plays okay without
    > rebooting.
    >
    > Could it be that the original memory must be in slots 1,2 for a reason
    > or is it just wishful thinking on my part? By older I mean that it was
    > the original memory that came with the system when I bought it (2 -
    > 512mb Nanya PC 3200 400mhz).
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Mike

    The original RAM probably runs slower than the new; putting the slower RAM
    in slot 1 usually forces all the RAM to run at the slower speed, which
    should work OK. Putting fast RAM in slot 1 and slow RAM in a 'higher'
    slot, will try to force the slow RAM to run too fast, which it may not
    like.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 12, 2006
  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Both RAM were supposed to be 512 DDR PC3200 400 mhz, but I am not sure
    of the latency and timing and all that crap.

    Mike

    Mike, Mar 12, 2006