    and quick and be readable by many programs.

    Thanks.
    , Feb 3, 2008

  2. tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:13:14 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >Hi Everyone, I'm going through the process of archiving a whole bunch
    >of family photos, and I have some questions about the process.
    >
    >Can someone recommend a program to calibrate my scanner. If I'm going
    >to be doing so many photos I might as well have it calibrated
    >correctly. I'm planning on going with Kodak i1220 in case that helps.
    >
    >Secondly, is there a way to add information to the file of a photo.
    >For example, I want to be able to add names of people in the photo,
    >and not by tagging photos but by actually adding it to meta data or
    >something. Any suggestions? This process would need to be fairly easy
    >and quick and be readable by many programs.

    What software will you be using to edit the images? Naming files with
    multiple individual names will be difficult, but there are image
    editing programs that allow you to enter file information like this.

    Adobe Elements is inexpensive and allows you to do this. File>File
    Info. The name entered can be keywords for locating images.

    Several ways to calibrate your scanner are findable by Googling
    "Scanner Calibration". You don't need a program to do so.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Feb 3, 2008

  3. Guest

    Hi Tony, thanks for the reply.

    By using Adobe Elements to enter in the information, does it make it
    viewable by other programs too? I don't want to do all this work and
    not be able to make use of it by other programs. And I don't mind a
    more expensive program... I'm doing this with so many photos I have
    the budget for it.

    And about the scanner calibration, would you be able to recommend
    anything specifically?

    Thanks again
    , Feb 3, 2008
  4. John Bean Guest

    On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:52:33 -0800 (PST), ""
    <> wrote:

    >By using Adobe Elements to enter in the information, does it make it
    >viewable by other programs too? I don't want to do all this work and
    >not be able to make use of it by other programs.

    Yes, I see you thought this through. Ideally you need a
    proper DAM program rather than a "Photo Album" sort of
    application to ensure that the data you enter is properly
    embedded in the images rather than just held in a
    proprietary database on your PC.

    >And I don't mind a
    >more expensive program... I'm doing this with so many photos I have
    >the budget for it.

    I'm glad you don't expect good software to be free, although
    there are examples of free or inexpensive software that can
    do this job properly. Have a look at Idimager as the best
    example of this genre.

    I've used the expensive but once-excellent Iview MediaPro to
    do this sort of thing for years, but sadly it's now well
    past its sell-by date and owned by Microsoft so I can no
    longer recommend it :-(

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Feb 3, 2008
  5. John Navas Guest

    On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:13:14 -0800 (PST), wrote in
    <>:

    >Secondly, is there a way to add information to the file of a photo.
    >For example, I want to be able to add names of people in the photo,
    >and not by tagging photos but by actually adding it to meta data or
    >something. Any suggestions? This process would need to be fairly easy
    >and quick and be readable by many programs.

    1.

    PhotoME
    http://www.photome.de/

    2.

    ExifTool
    http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

    3.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/photoinfo.mspx>

    Microsoft Photo Info enables easy editing of "metadata" for digital
    photographs from inside Windows Explorer

    Published: January 22, 2007

    Microsoft Photo Info is a new software add-in for Microsoft Windows that
    allows photographers to add, change and delete common "metadata"
    properties for digital photographs from inside Windows Explorer. It also
    provides enhanced "hover tips" and additional sort properties for
    digital photographs in Explorer (in Details view).

    Microsoft Photo Info runs on 32-bit versions of Windows XP (with Service
    Pack 2 or later) and the Windows Vista operating systems.

    Free download after Validation.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 3, 2008
  6. tony cooper Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi Tony, thanks for the reply.
    >
    >By using Adobe Elements to enter in the information, does it make it
    >viewable by other programs too?

    No.

    > I don't want to do all this work and
    >not be able to make use of it by other programs. And I don't mind a
    >more expensive program... I'm doing this with so many photos I have
    >the budget for it.
    >
    >And about the scanner calibration, would you be able to recommend
    >anything specifically?

    No. I don't calibrate my scanner. I scan directly into Photoshop and
    do any adjustments necessary in Photoshop.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Feb 3, 2008
  7. Dave Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:13:14 -0800 (PST), wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >> Secondly, is there a way to add information to the file of a photo.
    >> For example, I want to be able to add names of people in the photo,
    >> and not by tagging photos but by actually adding it to meta data or
    >> something. Any suggestions? This process would need to be fairly easy
    >> and quick and be readable by many programs.

    > 1.
    >
    > PhotoME
    > http://www.photome.de/
    >
    > 2.
    >
    > ExifTool
    > http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
    >
    > 3.
    >
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/photoinfo.mspx>
    >
    > Microsoft Photo Info enables easy editing of "metadata" for digital
    > photographs from inside Windows Explorer
    >
    > Published: January 22, 2007
    >
    > Microsoft Photo Info is a new software add-in for Microsoft Windows that
    > allows photographers to add, change and delete common "metadata"
    > properties for digital photographs from inside Windows Explorer. It also
    > provides enhanced "hover tips" and additional sort properties for
    > digital photographs in Explorer (in Details view).
    >
    > Microsoft Photo Info runs on 32-bit versions of Windows XP (with Service
    > Pack 2 or later) and the Windows Vista operating systems.
    >
    > Free download after Validation.

    Microsoft's exif manipulation seems to have a few problems I wouldn't
    trust,see:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=21925564

    Dave

    --
    "...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
    with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the
    Dave, Feb 4, 2008
  8. Paul Furman Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > John Navas wrote:
    >> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:13:14 -0800 (PST), wrote in
    >> <>:
    >>
    >>> Secondly, is there a way to add information to the file of a photo.
    >>> For example, I want to be able to add names of people in the photo,
    >>> and not by tagging photos but by actually adding it to meta data or
    >>> something. Any suggestions? This process would need to be fairly easy
    >>> and quick and be readable by many programs.

    >> 1.
    >>
    >> PhotoME
    >> http://www.photome.de/
    >>
    >> 2.
    >>
    >> ExifTool
    >> http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
    >>
    >> 3.
    >>
    >> <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/photoinfo.mspx>
    >>

    >> Microsoft Photo Info enables easy editing of "metadata" for digital
    >> photographs from inside Windows Explorer
    >>
    >> Published: January 22, 2007
    >>
    >> Microsoft Photo Info is a new software add-in for Microsoft Windows that
    >> allows photographers to add, change and delete common "metadata"
    >> properties for digital photographs from inside Windows Explorer. It also
    >> provides enhanced "hover tips" and additional sort properties for
    >> digital photographs in Explorer (in Details view).
    >>
    >> Microsoft Photo Info runs on 32-bit versions of Windows XP (with Service
    >> Pack 2 or later) and the Windows Vista operating systems.
    >>
    >> Free download after Validation.
    >>

    > Microsoft's exif manipulation seems to have a few problems I wouldn't
    > trust,see:
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=21925564

    A number of exif (and what's the other one for journalist's info?) data
    writers have minor inconsistencies and it's common to not be able to
    read data written by on in another so be cautious before spending a
    bunch of time on this.
    Paul Furman, Feb 4, 2008
  9. Dave Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:>>>
    >> Microsoft's exif manipulation seems to have a few problems I wouldn't
    >> trust,see:
    >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=21925564

    > A number of exif (and what's the other one for journalist's info?) data
    > writers have minor inconsistencies and it's common to not be able to
    > read data written by on in another so be cautious before spending a
    > bunch of time on this.

    Not being able to read exif data in another program is one thing,but
    this thread at dpreview talked of not being able to open the file period
    after using MS Photoinfo,eg. change a date and try to open it in
    Photoshop and get corrupted file or missing ICC profile messages.
    True the thread is a year old but one of the developers from MS was
    involved in the thread and part of the response in MS links he cited
    sounded like typical MS.."Microsoft is working to inform hardware and
    software developers of this new feature and encourage them to update
    their tools".
    In other words ...not our problem.

    Dave

    Dave, Feb 4, 2008
  10. John Navas Guest

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:46:55 -0500, Dave <> wrote in
    <43167$47a7860f$4831158c$>:

    >Paul Furman wrote:>>>
    >>> Microsoft's exif manipulation seems to have a few problems I wouldn't
    >>> trust,see:
    >>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=21925564

    >> A number of exif (and what's the other one for journalist's info?) data
    >> writers have minor inconsistencies and it's common to not be able to
    >> read data written by on in another so be cautious before spending a
    >> bunch of time on this.

    >Not being able to read exif data in another program is one thing,but
    >this thread at dpreview talked of not being able to open the file period
    >after using MS Photoinfo,eg. change a date and try to open it in
    >Photoshop and get corrupted file or missing ICC profile messages.
    >True the thread is a year old but one of the developers from MS was
    >involved in the thread and part of the response in MS links he cited
    >sounded like typical MS.."Microsoft is working to inform hardware and
    >software developers of this new feature and encourage them to update
    >their tools".
    >In other words ...not our problem.

    I believe the tool was updated since then.

    John Navas, Feb 4, 2008
  11. Guest

    Ya I saw that there were issues with these programs as well when I was
    looking some of them up. Can anyone recommend one that doesn't have
    issues and will be viewable in the future... like a standard.
    Thanks again
    , Feb 5, 2008
  12. John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:27:28 -0800 (PST), ""
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >Ya I saw that there were issues with these programs as well when I was
    >looking some of them up. Can anyone recommend one that doesn't have
    >issues and will be viewable in the future... like a standard.

    Unfortunately, there is no one standard, so there will inevitably be
    some issues. That said, my personal recommendation is PhotoME. My list
    was in order of personal preference.

    John Navas, Feb 5, 2008