    be aware of?

    TIA.

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Dec 24, 2007

  2. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..

    impossible Guest

    <texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Presently I have a grand total of 256 mb in #1 slot
    > Dell say I can have a max of 512mb - there is a second slot available
    > to add more.
    >
    > What would happen if I added a 512mb piece in and left the 256 as
    > well.
    > I realise it most likely won't do anything but any downsides I should
    > be aware of?

    You mean like it might not boot ? Yes, that's a distinct possibility, so be
    sure you use a compatibly spec'd module. Plug in the Dell model # at one of
    the Kingston, Crucial, or Corsair sites and see what's available. Then you
    can look around for a a local source of something equivalent.

    impossible, Dec 24, 2007

  3. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..

    Richard Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:
    > Presently I have a grand total of 256 mb in #1 slot
    > Dell say I can have a max of 512mb - there is a second slot available
    > to add more.
    >
    > What would happen if I added a 512mb piece in and left the 256 as
    > well.
    > I realise it most likely won't do anything but any downsides I should
    > be aware of?

    It should do quite a bit since 256 is below usable for windows xp.

    But really, you will end up with 768 megs on a machine that is most
    likly below par in every other way, so you may want to just go pickup an
    upgrade box from a computer shop - sd ram is way too expensive these
    days, and used ram is usually buying someone elses problems

    Richard, Dec 24, 2007
  4. On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 05:54:18 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    ><texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..> wrote in message
    >> Presently I have a grand total of 256 mb in #1 slot
    >> Dell say I can have a max of 512mb - there is a second slot available
    >> to add more.
    >>
    >> What would happen if I added a 512mb piece in and left the 256 as
    >> well.
    >> I realise it most likely won't do anything but any downsides I should
    >> be aware of?
    >>

    >You mean like it might not boot ? Yes, that's a distinct possibility, so be
    >sure you use a compatibly spec'd module.

    I wouldn't have a clue there!

    >Plug in the Dell model # at one of
    >the Kingston, Crucial, or Corsair sites and see what's available. Then you
    >can look around for a a local source of something equivalent.

    Locally there's nothing as we live in the boondocks. Ordering online
    is more of a necessity v the cost of gas to go to the nearest town and
    find something.

    I have looked at the above sites and will most likely just order from
    one of them.

    Thanks!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Dec 24, 2007
  5. On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:26:33 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:
    >> Presently I have a grand total of 256 mb in #1 slot
    >> Dell say I can have a max of 512mb - there is a second slot available
    >> to add more.
    >>
    >> What would happen if I added a 512mb piece in and left the 256 as
    >> well.
    >> I realise it most likely won't do anything but any downsides I should
    >> be aware of?

    >It should do quite a bit since 256 is below usable for windows xp.
    >
    >But really, you will end up with 768 megs on a machine that is most
    >likly below par in every other way, so you may want to just go pickup an
    >upgrade box from a computer shop - sd ram is way too expensive these
    >days, and used ram is usually buying someone elses problems

    Thanks.
    I will just plonk probably another 256 in and call it quits v spending
    more money on this heap of junk.

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Dec 24, 2007
  6. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..

    thingy Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:
    > Presently I have a grand total of 256 mb in #1 slot
    > Dell say I can have a max of 512mb - there is a second slot available
    > to add more.
    >
    > What would happen if I added a 512mb piece in and left the 256 as
    > well.
    > I realise it most likely won't do anything but any downsides I should
    > be aware of?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Cath

    Should be fine....if it is DDR2 then you wont get the dual rate mode as
    they are not identical, but going from 256 to 768 is usually well worth
    it....

    Given the low cost of RAM (with a lifetime warrantee) I'd go and buy a 2
    x 512G kit myself....but it depends on the RAM type...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jan 6, 2008
  7. On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 08:42:13 +1300, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:
    >> Presently I have a grand total of 256 mb in #1 slot
    >> Dell say I can have a max of 512mb - there is a second slot available
    >> to add more.
    >>
    >> What would happen if I added a 512mb piece in and left the 256 as
    >> well.
    >> I realise it most likely won't do anything but any downsides I should
    >> be aware of?
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> Cath

    >Should be fine....if it is DDR2 then you wont get the dual rate mode as
    >they are not identical, but going from 256 to 768 is usually well worth
    >it....
    >
    >Given the low cost of RAM (with a lifetime warrantee) I'd go and buy a 2
    >x 512G kit myself....but it depends on the RAM type...
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Thanks for the info.

    I did a scan thru Crucial's website last week.
    According to them, I could put in a max of 1GB - that just confused me
    more so I hit the 'contact us' button which sent the results thru with
    my query.

    According to them, I can put in two x 512mb banks in the two slots
    [after removing current 128mb bank]; manufacturer max capacity they
    say is 1024.

    They give two prices for the 512 which now is confusing me re the
    data:

    1] SDRAM PC133 CL=2 Unbuffered Non-paiity 133 Mhz 3.3.V 64meg x 64
    @ US$63.99 per 512MB

    2] is same except for CL=3 price is US$59.99 per 512mb

    The problem I have is we only have one computer repair store locally
    and they screwed us last time we had the computer repaired.
    I want and intend buying the ram and taking it to them.
    BUT I also want to be able to tell them that they will replace it in
    front of me - is this being unrealistic?

    Last time, they said my computer had this that and the next thing
    wrong with it [it required a new power unit/fan] and I wanted a
    second hdd drive installed as I didn't trust the one that was in it -
    like the 4th WD replacement under the then newly expired warranty from
    Dell.

    Long story but they said it wasn't worth fixing and tried to sell me a
    $300 unit bare bones basically - iirc it was a HP.

    Told him NO. Within a couple of days, he called to say he got a
    price on a 40gb hdd of around 100 and a new fan; iirc at that time he
    said abt 200 all up.

    With that, I gave him the go ahead to get the parts in and fix it.

    He admitted to me when we picked it up, that he makes money out of
    selling parts even second hand [isolated so has no opposition etc].

    Unfortunately the oh didn't tell me as I was busy checking something
    else out, the total price of the bill.

    The *** stung us like 400 for replacing the fan/power unit, the cost
    of the unit and a 40gb hdd. I mean, parts aren't that expensive nor
    could I believe labour could have taken so long. In all, he had the
    unit for over a week! The oh unfortunately is not one to challenge -
    had I of known, I would have let the fireworks begin.
    Obviously he screwed us because I wouldn't give him my so called non
    repairable computer!

    CAth

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Jan 6, 2008
  8. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..

    Bugalugs Guest

> [...]

    > Told him NO. Within a couple of days, he called to say he got a
    > price on a 40gb hdd of around 100 and a new fan; iirc at that time he
    > said abt 200 all up.
    >
    > With that, I gave him the go ahead to get the parts in and fix it.
    >
    > He admitted to me when we picked it up, that he makes money out of
    > selling parts even second hand [isolated so has no opposition etc].
    >
    > Unfortunately the oh didn't tell me as I was busy checking something
    > else out, the total price of the bill.
    >
    > The *** stung us like 400 for replacing the fan/power unit, the cost
    > of the unit and a 40gb hdd. I mean, parts aren't that expensive nor
    > could I believe labour could have taken so long. In all, he had the
    > unit for over a week! The oh unfortunately is not one to challenge -
    > had I of known, I would have let the fireworks begin.
    > Obviously he screwed us because I wouldn't give him my so called non

    If you can unplug a powercord from the wall and plug in another there is
    no reason why you can't unplug the old memory and replace it with the new.

    Bugalugs, Jan 8, 2008