    Could a hard drive plugged into the add on card be used as the
    "C" drive and bootable??

    thanks
    Hp, Apr 18, 2008

  2. Hp

    Hp Guest

    ok got the info

    MSI K9MM-V Socket AM2 Motherboard is the subject motherboard,
    it only has a single IDE socket = 2 drives,

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Hp wrote:
    > Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:13:07 -0500

    > Voluntary courtesy clock police report.

    > EDT = Eastern (US) daylight time = UTC offset -0400

    > Your newsserver stamped your message correctly at about 18:13 UTC. Your
    > computer's clock caused your Date stamp to be incorrect saying about
    > 19:13 UTC, a time currently in the future.

    The 'clock' problem you are noting is NOT something that is OFF
    or wrong here, but lies in the location of the email client server
    compaired to the originating point of the message.
    DST is NOT our native habits, and not all systems are coping with
    the recent DST changes we suffered.
    Hp, Apr 18, 2008

  3. Hp

    Erlio Guest

    If the controller card you intend to purchase has a BIOS and boot time
    interrupt hooking, then you could conceivably use it to boot from an extra
    hard drive as the "C:" drive. Many do in fact have this capability, but you
    would have to consult the documentation for the controller itself. Now if
    you want to boot an operating system other than DOS, you would have to
    arrange for the device driver for the controller to be loaded at boot time.
    That is also doable.

    If you come up with controller information, that would give people more data
    to work with. Now with a single IDE socket on your motherboard, installing
    a PCI secondary IDE controller card seems a distinct possibility.

    Erlio

    Erlio, Apr 19, 2008
  4. Hp

    chuckcar Guest

    Hp <> wrote in news::

    > I am exploring information about using a PCI card to add extra
    > hard drives to a PC that only has one IDE connector.
    > if one used a plugin card, would the attached drives be usable
    > before an operating system is added, like maybe optical
    > drives?
    > Could a hard drive plugged into the add on card be used as the
    > "C" drive and bootable??
    >
    > thanks

    No drive will be bootable unless you a) partition it b) format a
    (primary) paritition on it and c) install an operating system on the
    resulting drive letter. You can hook up 2 IDE or 4 EIDE drives per
    cable, but of course you need the cable to have 3 or 5 connectors to do
    it with.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 19, 2008
  5. Hp

    dadiOH Guest

    Hp wrote:

    > Could a hard drive plugged into the add on card be used as the
    > "C" drive and bootable??

    Yes but you'd have to have and set a BIOS selection (boot SCSI) to do so.

    --

    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Apr 19, 2008