    Or would each exposure just clip to zero?

    Thanks,
    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 30, 2009

  2. Jeremy

    jkneese Guest

    I'm not familiar with that particular camera, but most DSLRs have a 'bulb'
    or 'time' setting which allows you to hold the shutter open for any
    reasonable length of time. Look through your manual and see if such a thing
    is available. If not, Google for 'image stacker'. It is a free (I think)
    program that allows you to stack or add shorter exposures to get the
    equivalent of a long one. Good luck!

    jkneese, Dec 30, 2009

  3. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    On 12/30/2009 11:25 AM, jkneese wrote:
    > I'm not familiar with that particular camera, but most DSLRs have a 'bulb'
    > or 'time' setting which allows you to hold the shutter open for any
    > reasonable length of time. Look through your manual and see if such a thing
    > is available.

    Thanks - I will look for that in the manual (I read it through, but now
    that I know what to look for maybe I can find it).

    > If not, Google for 'image stacker'. It is a free (I think)
    > program that allows you to stack or add shorter exposures to get the
    > equivalent of a long one. Good luck!

    According to this program's website, it is at least roughly equivalent
    to combine multiple exposures. I can do the processing in Photoshop,
    but I'll try out the program anyway (not free, but only costs a pittance).

    Thanks so much for your help!

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Dec 30, 2009
  4. Jeremy

    RustY © Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > Hello - newbie here (both to the group and to photography).
    >
    > My entry-level DSLR (Canon Rebel T1i) has a maximum exposure time of 30
    > seconds. If I needed to take, say, a two-minute exposure, would it be
    > equivalent to take four 30-second exposures and then add them together? Or
    > would each exposure just clip to zero?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jeremy

    You will end up with four under exposed shots.

    RustY ©, Dec 30, 2009
  5. Jeremy

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 30/12/2009 20:17, Jeremy wrote:
    > Hello - newbie here (both to the group and to photography).
    >
    > My entry-level DSLR (Canon Rebel T1i) has a maximum exposure time of 30
    > seconds. If I needed to take, say, a two-minute exposure, would it be
    > equivalent to take four 30-second exposures and then add them together?
    > Or would each exposure just clip to zero?

    At the end of the exposure range it has a "Bulb" exposure. In this mode
    the shutter is open as long as you depress the button. If using a wire
    remote (kind of necessary anyway for these pictures), most remotes will
    allow you to lock the button so you won't have to hold it for two
    minutes (which feels very long).

    If you take 4 separate exposures and add them later it will average the
    noise and so reduce it. It is even better then to take 8 15s shots or 12
    10s ones. Tip: put the camera in burst mode, set exposure time for 10 or
    15s, and lock the wire remote for two minutes.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Dec 30, 2009
  6. Jeremy

    ransley Guest

    On Dec 30, 1:17 pm, Jeremy <> wrote:
    > Hello - newbie here (both to the group and to photography).
    >
    > My entry-level DSLR (Canon Rebel T1i) has a maximum exposure time of 30
    > seconds.  If I needed to take, say, a two-minute exposure, would it be
    > equivalent to take four 30-second exposures and then add them together?
    >   Or would each exposure just clip to zero?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jeremy

    Put it on Manual then it will go down to Bulb, I got one of the canon
    wireless remotes it works well and has a holder that attaches to the
    strap.

    ransley, Dec 30, 2009
  7. Jeremy

    NameHere Guest

    THEN SHUT THE **** UP!

    NameHere, Dec 31, 2009
  8. Jeremy

    NameHere Guest

    On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:43:13 -0000, "RustY ©" <> wrote:

    >"Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello - newbie here (both to the group and to photography).
    >>
    >> My entry-level DSLR (Canon Rebel T1i) has a maximum exposure time of 30
    >> seconds. If I needed to take, say, a two-minute exposure, would it be
    >> equivalent to take four 30-second exposures and then add them together? Or
    >> would each exposure just clip to zero?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jeremy

    >You will end up with four under exposed shots.

    WOW. The stupidy of posters in usenet never ceases to amaze.

    NameHere, Dec 31, 2009