    that's already in it. Also the newer computer has a regular disk drive
    in it and it doesn't matter which drive is the primary/secondary.
    THANKS.
    Hurricane1000, Jan 3, 2007

  2. Hurricane1000

    Robert Baer Guest

    Hurricane1000 wrote:
    > Is there a website I can find that shows step by step instructions on
    > how to take my old hard drive and cd burner and add it to the used
    > (better) computer I just bought, but I want to keep the hard drive
    > that's already in it. Also the newer computer has a regular disk drive
    > in it and it doesn't matter which drive is the primary/secondary.
    > THANKS.

    I do not think there are any "step-by-step" instructions; it is
    almost as simple as saying it.
    There is no such think as a "regular disk drive" as that term couls
    be loosely used for floppies, hard drives and CD/DVD drives.
    And it *DOES* matter which drive is the primary (master / slave) or
    secondary (master / slave).
    Your computer is set so that the hard drive in it *is* Primary Master
    if it is a standard ("legacy") parallel IDE drive or it *is set* as
    Primary Master if a SATA (serial) type drive.
    In any event, move the hard drive over, and use the same (parallel)
    flat cable to connect it to the motherboard (*IF* it is an old 40-wire
    cable, replace it with the newer 80-wire cable).
    Now my suggestion is to leave the drive jumpered as master (or as
    Cable Select), put it on the far end of the 80-wire cable, and plug it
    into the Secondary connector for hard drives.
    There are certain possible advantages this way if both are PATA
    (parallel IDE) drives.

    I install removeable hard drive enclosures for Primary Master and
    Secondary Master positions, reserving the Primary Slave for (at minimum)
    a DVD-readonly for booting and/or reading those funny minature plastic
    Frisbees that seem to have "programs" on them.
    I set the BIOS boot sequence to CD, floppy, IDE0 (IDE zero or first one).
    My running HD is in its carrier and in the computer as Primary almost
    all of the time; i buy a second hadr drive of the same size and put it
    in a carrier as well.
    Now (when computer is off) i can plug in that extra HD (as Secondary
    Master) and boot to a HD copy program like Ghost and * B A C K U P * by
    copying the main working HD to that spare; shut down, unplug the
    "spare", label it as to when and place it in a safe area.
    *When* the main working HD goes bad, it takes abot 15 seconds (if
    that) to replace it with the (dare i say it?) BACKUP drive whih now
    becomes the new main working drive.
    I quickly order another HD to replace it.
    Have done that about 4-5 times in the last 20+ years.

    Naturally, you never backup so ignore what i said.
    Robert Baer, Jan 4, 2007