Adding/Changing Ringtones on a Cisco 7905G/7912G with SIP Firmware?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Eric Kotz, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. Eric Kotz

    Eric Kotz Guest

    Hello all,
    I'm in the process of deploying the Asterisk VoIP PBX where I work. I
    have evaluated a few phones, and eventually decided on the Cisco 7940G
    and Cisco 7912G.
    Because there are many people that sit relatively closely, I feel it
    is important that the phones have several different ring tones to
    choose from so employees can assign a unique ringtone to their phone.
    On the Cisco 7940 phones I accomplished this by creating a
    RINGLIST.DAT with the ringtones, and placing that, along with the
    rings themselves, on the TFTP server.
    This same configuration does not seem to work on the Cisco 7905G I
    have in my posession (and presumably the 7912G's which I have not
    ordered yet, as they are 99% same as the 7905G). The phone never
    requests RINGLIST.DAT from my TFTP server and do not display the
    ringers I have specified.
    The Cisco 7905G phone I have does have a menu option for Ring Types,
    but only one ringer is available to choose in that menu. Because this
    menu option exists, I would think it is possible to add more.
    However, I have not found any documentation on how to add more Ring
    Tones. If anyone knows how to do it, I would appreciate it if they
    are willing to help me.

    Thank you,
    Eric Kotz

    Eric Kotz, Aug 18, 2004

  2. Eric Kotz

    Adrian Guest

    Eric, I have done this on the 7905 phone in a Callmanager express
    environment but the idea should be the same. The 7905G phones want the
    RINGLIST file to be in XML format and it downloads it fine...Obviuosly
    the raw files (ring tones) for the RINGLIST must be in the same
    directory.

    Adrian, Sep 2, 2004