Adding Bluetooth to a SBS2003 network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Phil, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Hi,

    I manage a client's network which is composed of an SBS2003 server with XP
    clients. The network looks like this:

    Clients DC Server NAT/router
    |------| |---| |---|
    |-----------| ->public internet

    192.x network <- NAT -> 172.x network
    DHCP

    So all client traffic runs through the multi-homed sbs server first, then on
    through the edge firewall/router. This all works just fine, but the client
    has asked for the ability to use a bluetooth PDA to access the internet &
    sync with outlook. I have a bluetooth dongle that could be used for that
    purpose.
    So now the question(s):
    1) How best to do this? My first thought was to install the dongle on a
    client, and use activesync in the normal way...but it appears that ICS
    cannot be enabled on client machines as it would fix the IP of the NIC (the
    clients currently use dynamic addresses).
    2) If I can't do this on the client PC, can I install the dongle on the
    server? What do I need to do?
    3) following on from point 2, from a security point of view, is this a sane
    thing to do? It appears that the connection can be locked down to some
    degree, but my experience is limited with bluetooth, so anyone know better?

    Help and comments much appreciated!

    Phil

    Phil, Jan 10, 2005