    the Internet, can access the files on other Windows XP computers but the
    Windows computers cannot see the Mac.

    I have configured the Mac to share its files. What else do I need to do?

    =?Utf-8?B?c2FpbG9yMQ==?=, Mar 21, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?c2FpbG9yMQ==?=

    Malke Guest

    sailor1 wrote:

    > My son is able to use our home network without any problems. He
    > connects to the Internet, can access the files on other Windows XP
    > computers but the Windows computers cannot see the Mac.
    >
    > I have configured the Mac to share its files. What else do I need to
    > do?

    If the Mac is running OSX, you need to run Samba on the Mac. IIRC you
    set this up in the Mac's networking area. I had a Mac on my network and
    it was very easy. If your son has an older Mac running OS9, then I
    don't know - Google for Mac networking sites.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Mar 21, 2005

  3. sailor1 wrote:
    > My son is able to use our home network without any problems. He connects to
    > the Internet, can access the files on other Windows XP computers but the
    > Windows computers cannot see the Mac.
    >
    > I have configured the Mac to share its files. What else do I need to do?

    I have a MAC on my wireless network with other computers as XP. The
    Apple person said to use AIRPORT facilities within the MAC. I was able
    to configure it and get it working in a few minutes.

    Bill

    Bill Salisbury, Mar 21, 2005
  4. The SMB file sharing needs to be enabled on the Macintosh. This involves a
    couple of steps:
    System Preferences>Sharing - Enable on your selection
    System Preferences>Accounts - Create accounts for the XP users and check the
    box labeled "Allow user to log in from Windows."
    Xp client machines should see the Macintosh in "WORKGROUP" in My Network.
    The Macintosh client also provides a http address that XP clients can
    access.

    newsgroup purposes only.

    Jim Seifert [MSFT], Mar 25, 2005