    for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing tree?

    Philip

    (woof woof)
    Philip, Jul 28, 2005

  2. Philip

    PC Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    news:42e8ce53$...
    >I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
    >configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct 1999
    >Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so much data
    >on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free slot on the
    >motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There would be room for
    >that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing tree?
    >
    > Philip
    >
    > (woof woof)

    I would expect there to be at least one IDE (PATA) port on the motherboard,
    most likely it is connected to your Burner.
    IDE can support two drives on the same data cable by setting one to master
    the other to slave.
    If there is a second unused plug on the IDE cable set your drive to the
    opposite of your burner (master ... slave) and plug in.
    XP will automatically show it in Windows Explorer.
    If there is no second plug change it the data lead for a standard IDE one
    with two plugs
    If you have two burners you will have to disconnect one.
    Or if you have a second IDE port on the motherboard, just plug in the IDE
    cable from your old Dell.

    Cheers
    Paul
    PC, Jul 28, 2005

  3. Philip

    thingy Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
    > configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct 1999
    > Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so much
    > data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free slot on
    > the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There would be room
    > for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing tree?
    >
    > Philip
    >
    > (woof woof)

    ext usb case?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 29, 2005
  4. Philip

    Philip Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
    >> configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct
    >> 1999 Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so
    >> much data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free
    >> slot on the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There
    >> would be room for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing
    >> tree?
    >>
    >> Philip
    >>
    >> (woof woof)
    >>

    > ext usb case?

    Yeah, that turns out to be the way to go. Dell in their wisdom don't
    provide a spare IDE socket on the motherboard - probably saved 14 cents
    on the machine by that!

    Philip
    Philip, Jul 29, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    thingy <> wrote:

    >Philip wrote:
    >> I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
    >> configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct 1999
    >> Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so much
    >> data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free slot on
    >> the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There would be room
    >> for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing tree?

    >ext usb case?

    FireWire is faster.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 30, 2005
  6. Philip

    Rob J Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:18:54 +1200, Philip <>
    wrote:

    >I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
    >configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct 1999
    >Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so much
    >data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free slot on
    >the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There would be room
    >for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing tree?

    Have to be a strange board not to have at least one IDE port.
    Rob J, Jul 30, 2005
  7. Philip

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:18:54 +1200, Philip <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
    >> configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct
    >> 1999 Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so
    >> much data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a
    >> free slot on the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card?
    >> There would be room for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a
    >> losing tree?
    >>

    > Have to be a strange board not to have at least one IDE port.

    Indeed. I've not heard of many SATA optical drives. Maybe just need to
    replace the current cable going to the optical drive with one with a second
    plug.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 30, 2005
  8. Philip

    Rob J Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:21:50 +1200, Philip <>
    wrote:

    >thingy wrote:
    >> Philip wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
    >>> configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct
    >>> 1999 Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so
    >>> much data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free
    >>> slot on the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There
    >>> would be room for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing
    >>> tree?
    >>>
    >>> Philip
    >>>
    >>> (woof woof)
    >>>

    >> ext usb case?
    >>

    >Yeah, that turns out to be the way to go. Dell in their wisdom don't
    >provide a spare IDE socket on the motherboard - probably saved 14 cents
    >on the machine by that!

    What you meant to say is there's only one IDE socket on the board.
    That would be true of practically all SATA boards today. One IDE
    socket for the CDROM because SATA hard drives are so commonplace
    today.

    Now, you can connect two drives to that IDE socket - one optical and
    one HDD, or two of one or two of the other.
    Rob J, Aug 1, 2005