    drive to a networked machine as opposed to a stand alone machine?
    Thanks
    Xeno

    Xeno Chauvin, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Xeno Chauvin

    10_4 Guest

    "Xeno Chauvin" <> wrote in message
    news:xgx5f.563$...
    >I have "slaved" hard drives on stand alone machines in the past and
    > didn't find it too difficult.
    > A friend of mine has a business with a 12 computer network.
    > The service company he uses has told him he needs an
    > additional hard drive on his machine since he is running out
    > of space. They want to charge him $450.00 for this service.
    > I told him I thought that charge a bit high.
    > Since I am in the dark about networking my question is;
    > Is there "that" much more complexity of adding a slaved
    > drive to a networked machine as opposed to a stand alone machine?
    > Thanks
    > Xeno

    Adding a hard drive to a networked machine has proven to be no different
    than a non-networked machine in my experiences. There are several kinds of
    hard drives and arrangements but I have never had a problem adding a HDD to
    said machines. The partitioning and mapping of the new drive may need
    special attention though. If you are not sure leave it the professionals.

    Good luck!

    10_4, Oct 19, 2005

  3. Xeno Chauvin

    Guest

    Xeno Chauvin wrote:
    > Is there "that" much more complexity of adding a slaved
    > drive to a networked machine as opposed to a stand alone machine?

    Depends on what you mean by "networked machine". How much space does he
    get for $450? Is this just a simple workstation or the main server that
    needs upgrading? Are you talking about an IDE, S-ATA or SCSI (2, 3,
    Ultra, ...) drive? Is there any kind of redundancy, like a RAID system?
    If so, how much work is it to expand the RAID? Are there other
    dependencies, like a backup system, that needs to be reconfigured or
    upgraded?

    Just a few questions to begin with...

    Good luck,

    A. Friend

    , Oct 19, 2005
  4. Xeno Chauvin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Xeno Chauvin wrote:
    > I have "slaved" hard drives on stand alone machines in the past and
    > didn't find it too difficult.
    > A friend of mine has a business with a 12 computer network.
    > The service company he uses has told him he needs an
    > additional hard drive on his machine since he is running out
    > of space. They want to charge him $450.00 for this service.
    > I told him I thought that charge a bit high.
    > Since I am in the dark about networking my question is;
    > Is there "that" much more complexity of adding a slaved
    > drive to a networked machine as opposed to a stand alone machine?

    Here's an article^1 to read about a review of "Ximeta NetDisk Office
    External 250GB Network Hard Drive" which comes in various sizes. The
    pricetag at ximeta for the 250G is about $250.

    It seems that in an environment of 12 boxen which needs storage for the
    network, a network device would be better than a hdd slaved to one box.

    "Just connect NetDisk into a wired or wireless network (LAN) switch,
    install the driver software and simply use it just like a local disk
    drive on each specified computer."

    I'm sure that other companies than ximeta make similar network drives --
    and remember, size does matter.

    ^1 http://www.extrememhz.com/ndiskoffc-p1.shtml

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Xeno Chauvin

    Xeno Chauvin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Depends on what you mean by "networked machine".

    As I understand it each computer in the office
    is a "stand alone" machine that is networked for certain
    functions such as net access, e-mail, and certain other
    programs specific to their business. These "business specific "programs
    are part of a RAID.
    You do not need to log on to the network say to use the Office Suite and
    save a file to that specific machine.

    >How much space does he get for $450?

    200 GB IDE so he can load an PLAY a golf game.
    He only wants it on HIS machine 'cuse he's da boss.
    Xeno

    Xeno Chauvin, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Xeno Chauvin

    PC Guest

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Depends on what you mean by "networked machine".

    > As I understand it each computer in the office
    > is a "stand alone" machine that is networked for certain
    > functions such as net access, e-mail, and certain other
    > programs specific to their business. These "business specific "programs
    > are part of a RAID.

    Xeno

    "These "business specific "programs are part of a RAID."

    Mmmmm methinks confusion reigns here.

    RAID means Redundant Array (of) Inexpensive Disks.
    As such it is a method of managing 'data storage' over multiple disks with
    various levels of performance and or redundancy.

    The usual way a 'RAID' array is configured is to have several disks in one
    enclosure (or PC)

    I may well be wrong but I would suspect the configuration is 'stand alone'
    PC's networked for file transfer, email and Internet access.They may well
    have a RAID array inside one of these PC's used for data storage or even the
    whole OS & programs.
    Alternatively there may be a RAID array in a stand alone box connected to
    the Network.

    Mind you I suppose if one PC handles all the email, two all the Internet
    access, three the accounting software, five the stock control, 6 personal
    records, number 7...... then you could look at it as being somewhat
    'redundant' in the sense that if one PC falls over then it's only 'one' part
    of the business structure that's crashed.

    As for adding another hard drive it would depend very much on 'where' they
    were going to add the hard drive.
    i.e. if it was merely an IDE drive in one of the networked PC's then $450
    sounds expensive to the point of 'rip off'
    On the other hand if it was (say) a 10,000 RPM SCSI drive, mounted in a hot
    swap caddy, installed in a network attached RAID array, then it may well be
    quite a reasonable price.

    If it's just an IDE into one of the PC's then it should be: 1 Physically
    install with the jumpers set to meet master/slave/cable select requirements,
    2 Format the drive, 3 Share the drive.

    Gota ask though 200GB for a golf game! surely 200MB!

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 19, 2005
  7. Xeno Chauvin

    Dan Evans Guest

    > Since I am in the dark about networking my question is;
    > Is there "that" much more complexity of adding a slaved
    > drive to a networked machine as opposed to a stand alone machine?

    Nope, none whatsoever - assuming that it just a case of "add a new hard
    drive" and not a new drive in a SCSI RAID.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 20, 2005
  8. Xeno Chauvin

    Alan Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "Xeno Chauvin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >><> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Depends on what you mean by "networked machine".

    >>As I understand it each computer in the office
    >>is a "stand alone" machine that is networked for certain
    >>functions such as net access, e-mail, and certain other
    >>programs specific to their business. These "business specific "programs
    >>are part of a RAID.

    > Xeno
    >
    > "These "business specific "programs are part of a RAID."
    >
    > Mmmmm methinks confusion reigns here.
    >
    > RAID means Redundant Array (of) Inexpensive Disks.
    > As such it is a method of managing 'data storage' over multiple disks with
    > various levels of performance and or redundancy.
    >
    > The usual way a 'RAID' array is configured is to have several disks in one
    > enclosure (or PC)
    >
    > I may well be wrong but I would suspect the configuration is 'stand alone'
    > PC's networked for file transfer, email and Internet access.They may well
    > have a RAID array inside one of these PC's used for data storage or even the
    > whole OS & programs.
    > Alternatively there may be a RAID array in a stand alone box connected to
    > the Network.
    >
    > Mind you I suppose if one PC handles all the email, two all the Internet
    > access, three the accounting software, five the stock control, 6 personal
    > records, number 7...... then you could look at it as being somewhat
    > 'redundant' in the sense that if one PC falls over then it's only 'one' part
    > of the business structure that's crashed.
    >
    > As for adding another hard drive it would depend very much on 'where' they
    > were going to add the hard drive.
    > i.e. if it was merely an IDE drive in one of the networked PC's then $450
    > sounds expensive to the point of 'rip off'
    > On the other hand if it was (say) a 10,000 RPM SCSI drive, mounted in a hot
    > swap caddy, installed in a network attached RAID array, then it may well be
    > quite a reasonable price.
    >
    > If it's just an IDE into one of the PC's then it should be: 1 Physically
    > install with the jumpers set to meet master/slave/cable select requirements,
    > 2 Format the drive, 3 Share the drive.
    >
    > Gota ask though 200GB for a golf game! surely 200MB!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    I'm guessing that its a peer-to-peer network, and in that case, its
    probably 12 computers bought from Dell or BestBuy - in which case,
    adding a second hard drive to any PC will fit the bill. However 12
    computers is a bit many for a peer to peer. Your friend could probably
    stand to use a dedicated server that everyone stores their documents on
    and can have a single backup device (even if its a simple <$200 DVD burner)

    Alan, Oct 22, 2005