    users or groups, in computermanagement, to any locations other than the local
    computer. My question is can you add different workgroup locations to users
    and groups on another computer. Thanks ZB
    =?Utf-8?B?WmIgS29ybmVja2k=?=, Apr 5, 2005

  2. "=?Utf-8?B?WmIgS29ybmVja2k=?=" <>
    wrote in news::

    > I have a small wireless network of 4 comptuers and 1 laptop connected
    > to Workgroup "Family" via a Linksys BEFW11S4 Accesspoint/Router. I
    > run Windows XP Pro on all systems with NIS 2004 Professional as my
    > firewall. I have no problems accessing shared resources, my problem
    > is how to limit the access of certain folders to certain users on
    > different computers. I can't seem to add users or groups, in
    > computermanagement, to any locations other than the local computer.
    > My question is can you add different workgroup locations to users and
    > groups on another computer. Thanks ZB

    Nope, that isn't possible unless you deploy Active Directory and set up a
    domain, then create user accounts and groups that have permissions in the
    domain.

    For the workgroup shares you must set up accounts on each individual
    machine. The accounts are stored in the local Security Accounts Manager
    (SAM) database, which is not accessible from or by other computers in the
    workgroup.

    --
    James McIllece, Microsoft

    Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
    name for newsgroup participation only.

    James McIllece [MS], Apr 5, 2005

  3. James Thanks if I can't limit the user access then is it possible for a
    computer to belong to more than 1 workgroup? If so is /here a KB article that
    can tell me how to do this. Thanks Zb

    =?Utf-8?B?WmIgS29ybmVja2k=?=, Apr 6, 2005
  4. You can only belong to one workgroup at a time. Windows networking does
    support multiple workgroups, and every computer can access all computers in
    all workgroups.

    When you click "View workgroup computers", only computers in your own
    workgroup appear. To see all of the workgroups on the network, press the
    Backspace key.

    "Start | Run | \\Computer" should access a computer, regardless of what
    workgroup it's in.

    ______________
    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Eric Cross [MVP], Apr 6, 2005
  5. Eric 1 more question and maybe more to the point. In my home network I have
    a compuer \\Main on wihich has has a password protected user account 'ZB'.
    The permissions for the folder /zb's documents is set to everyone so that I
    can map it as a drive on \\laptop. Is there any way I can make this folder
    visible on \\laptop but not on \\kid1 and \\kid2. If so how. thanks Zb

    =?Utf-8?B?WmIgS29ybmVja2k=?=, Apr 8, 2005
  6. Hello Zb,

    When you share a folder it is visiable to all users on the local area
    network. Since you have XP Pro, you have much more control to who will have
    access to files by disabling Simple File Sharing and specify users and their
    allowed mode.

    Also, see this wepage.

    Windows XP Simple File Sharing
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm