    an extra 15 gig hd laying around and thought about pulling my old dvd drive
    and hooking it up there. My main question is will I have any problems with
    this? When ripping dvd's I will be saving to the 60 gig. Thanks Jay

    jay, Feb 10, 2004

  2. jay

    colin Guest

    jay <> wrote in message
    news:r2aWb.121$...
    > I have a msi kt3v motherboard, athlon xp2000. On my first ide port I have

    > 20 Gig wd Hard drive (master) and a 60 gig wd hard drive (slave). On the
    > second I got a dvd burner (master) and my old dvd drive (slave). Well I

    have
    > an extra 15 gig hd laying around and thought about pulling my old dvd

    drive
    > and hooking it up there. My main question is will I have any problems with
    > this? When ripping dvd's I will be saving to the 60 gig. Thanks Jay

    It could change the drive letter of your dvd burner from E to F

    colin, Feb 10, 2004

  3. jay

    HF Guest

    It not only could but would change your drive letters. You would be better
    off getting a controller from someome like Promise.This would give you more
    channels and separation.
    "jay" <> wrote in message
    > I have a msi kt3v motherboard, athlon xp2000. On my first ide port I have

    > 20 Gig wd Hard drive (master) and a 60 gig wd hard drive (slave). On the
    > second I got a dvd burner (master) and my old dvd drive (slave). Well I

    have
    > an extra 15 gig hd laying around and thought about pulling my old dvd

    drive
    > and hooking it up there. My main question is will I have any problems with
    > this? When ripping dvd's I will be saving to the 60 gig. Thanks Jay

    ---

    HF, Feb 11, 2004
  4. jay

    HF Guest

    Also it would avoid you having a dvd drive on a HD channel.

    HF, Feb 11, 2004
  5. jay

    Thor Guest

    "HF" <21.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Also it would avoid you having a dvd drive on a HD channel.

    Thats not really cause for concern these days with independent device
    timing. If he's got an available IDE connection, there's no compelling
    reason he shouldn't use it, unless he wants to keep the old DVD drive he
    otherwise plans to get rid of.

    Thor, Feb 11, 2004
  6. jay

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:15:15 -0000, "HF" <21.co.uk> wrote:

    >It not only could but would change your drive letters.

    No...not necessarily 'would'. But 'could'...yes.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 12, 2004
  7. jay

    Sean V. Guest

    This is true, although you should keep in mind that some CD-ROMs (or DVD
    drives) are not good IDE masters. I would suggest setting the new hard drive
    as the master, and the DVD burner as the slave.

    Sean

    Sean V., Feb 13, 2004