    the operating system on it, or do I use a start-up floppy to Fdisk this new
    drive first and then install XP etc.

    Alan
    Alan, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Alan

    joey jo jo Guest

    you need to run fdisk and create a partition. Then when you load windows it
    should be in my computer. Right click it and format

    joey jo jo, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "joey jo jo" <> wrote in message
    > you need to run fdisk and create a partition. Then when you load windows

    it
    > should be in my computer. Right click it and format
    > "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > | This is the first time I've added a second hard drive to my PC and
    > although
    > | everything seems to be OK i.e. the BIOS has recognised it as the primary
    > | slave with the primary master being the original hard drive, I find I'm
    > | unsure what to do next.
    > |
    > | Do I now re-run the XP CD software to format the new hard drive and
    > install
    > | the operating system on it, or do I use a start-up floppy to Fdisk this
    > new
    > | drive first and then install XP etc.
    > |
    > | Alan

    My original hard drive is 40 gig and I'm installing a second 120 gig hard
    drive for photograph storage only. I wish to keep the first hard drive "C"
    as it is, with its XP operating system and software intack I have the
    original 40 gig HD set-up as primary master and the second 120 gig HD as
    primary slave. When I run Fdisk........ obviously "C" drive will be the
    original HD but will there then be an option to Fdisk the new drive as well?
    For example Fdisk....... "C" or "D"
    Sorry if theses are basic, just trying to avoid wiping my "C" drive.

    Alan
    Alan, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Alan

    Thor Guest

    First of all, if you are using WIndowsXP, you don't need to use FDISK at
    all. Just boot into windows, go to the system administration section of the
    control panel, and then choose disk management. The new drive should be
    listed there, and you should be able to partition and format the drive from
    there. You can use FDISK if you like, but if you want to use NTFS file
    system, you can't use FDISK. Conversely, if you want to use FAT32, your
    partition size will be limited to 32GB if you use WinXP's partitioning tools
    to set it up. (thanks Microsoft). Using FDISK, you will have a choice to
    switch drives in the menu. It will be the last option I believe. FDISK
    always starts out with the primary drive selected, so you'll definitely need
    to use the menu option to switch drives. When you have switched to the new
    drive, the capacity should be shown along with the fact that no partitions
    exist on that drive yet. Then you can create a partition, etc. from there.

    Thor, Nov 27, 2003