Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Nov 21, 2010.

  1. John

    John Guest

    How do you add a program back to the programs menu in Windows XP when
    you have removed it accidentally?

    I have looked at Microsofts advice here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152122
    but it's complete codswalop.

    "1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click
    Taskbar and Start Menu."

    When I click Start I am left wondering where this mystical option
    called "Settings" is located?

    I'd like to be able to get my Panasonic shortcuts back on the Programs
    Menu. Trouble is that when I do it myself by dragging it there it
    simply adds it as a shortcut folder which is not what I want. I'd like
    it to be the same as all the other Programs Menu shortcuts.

    Going via C:\Documents and Settings\John\Start Menu\Programs and
    dumping it in there doesn't achieve what I want either, it is still
    added as a folder.

    Is there a way to get it back as normal without reinstalling the
    programs ontop of themselves?

    The Programs were previously something like this...

    Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
    Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

    I had been cutting and pasting items from the C:\Documents and Settings
    \All Users\Start Menu\Programs folder to individual users so there
    isn't a lot of unwanted programs showing for different users that
    don't use those particular programs on the shared desktop.

    Cheers,

    John

    John, Nov 21, 2010

  2. "John" <> wrote in message
    > How do you add a program back to the programs menu in Windows XP when
    > you have removed it accidentally?
    >
    > I have looked at Microsofts advice here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152122
    > but it's complete codswalop.
    >
    > "1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click
    > Taskbar and Start Menu."

    OR, Right Click START, then choose Properties.

    > When I click Start I am left wondering where this mystical option
    > called "Settings" is located?
    >
    > I'd like to be able to get my Panasonic shortcuts back on the Programs
    > Menu. Trouble is that when I do it myself by dragging it there it
    > simply adds it as a shortcut folder which is not what I want. I'd like
    > it to be the same as all the other Programs Menu shortcuts.

    Can't you use Widows Explorer to navigate to the program's EXE file, make a
    Shortcut of it, then drag the shortcut to the Program Folder? This should
    work IF the program still works. If the program does not work, then you will
    need to reinstall it. There's no problem reinstalling on top because the
    existing files will simply be overwritten. If you have gone through layers
    of updates, then you'll have to go get the updates again.

    > Going via C:\Documents and Settings\John\Start Menu\Programs and
    > dumping it in there doesn't achieve what I want either, it is still
    > added as a folder.
    >
    > Is there a way to get it back as normal without reinstalling the
    > programs ontop of themselves?
    >
    > The Programs were previously something like this...
    >
    > Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
    > Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)
    >
    > I had been cutting and pasting items from the C:\Documents and Settings
    > \All Users\Start Menu\Programs folder to individual users so there
    > isn't a lot of unwanted programs showing for different users that
    > don't use those particular programs on the shared desktop.

    If you deleted a file, then it ought to be in the Recovery Bin. If it is
    still in the Recovery Bin, then you can restore back to the original
    location then move it to where you want it.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 21, 2010

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 21, 2010
  4. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    I don't know why that posted twice. Hmmm...

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 21, 2010
  5. John

    Kele Guest

    It doesn't sound like you deleted, by accident, anything but a
    shortcut(s)...

    Go to Program Files (Windows Explorer) to the program (directory) you wish
    to add to the Start Menu. Locate among the program files the *.exe (* look
    for the icon you recognize.exe). Right click on the *.exe and Send To
    Desktop (create shortcut). Close Windows Explorer and find link on Desktop
    (rename if desired). Right click on the link and drag it to the Start Menu
    location where you want it and let go of the right click; pick copy or move.

    Codswolop items listed in the Start Menu are always just shortcuts to the
    corresponding file (including *.exe). Organize your Start Menu shortcuts
    any way you want. Right click on an empty space on the Task Bar (lower
    strip where open app's buttons appear). Select Properties > Start Menu Tab.
    Click the Customized button - another window will appear; select Advanced.
    A Windows Explorer style window will appear and the Start Menu will be
    highlighted on the left side program link tree. Expand the sub-folders
    within the Start Menu folder. You may recognize this is your Start
    Menu/Programs/ that you see when you look at Start Menu and Start
    Menu/Programs. Clean it up however you want; everything in there can be
    recovered using the method above (first para). You can more or less manage
    links via the Start Menu itself, but this view is more controlled and adding
    sub-folders is also possible. Drag links around where you want them to
    appear in your Start Menu.

    If you want an Internet link in the Start Menu... When surfing w/ browser,
    save the site as a favorite and then delete the favorite link. Go to your
    Recycle Bin and right-click on the Internet link. Drag the link to the
    Start Menu and let go of the right-click where you want the link to appear -
    choose "Move". - Kele

    PS: desktop icons are usually just links. [ It's not a good practice to
    actually store "files" on the Desktop as these files are included everytime
    you open the DeskTop - slow ]. Instead, put files in My Documents (etc.)
    and create a DeskTop shortcut to access the file. This way, all DeskTop
    icons are in fact (1 kilobyte) links - fast. KEEP the "My Computer",
    "Network Neighborhood", "Recycle-Bin", and "My Documents" desk-top folder
    links; all other desktop links are truly optional. Just because installing
    a program places a launch icon on the DeskTop doesn't mean it has to stay,
    ie: Acrobat Reader. Note that even though it appears your desktop holds a
    My Documents folder with massive content, it's not actually on the Desktop -
    the My Documents folder is unique that way. Additionally, you can create
    and name a Desktop folder and drag [ links ] into that folder to help
    organize. For example, all program [ links ] having to do with your digital
    camera can be within a Desktop folder called "Camera" (You can change the
    Camera folder icon too). Then everything having to do with accessing camera
    or photo editing software is in one place instead of being scattered around
    the Desktop. Fear not, clean to your liking!

    Kele, Nov 21, 2010
  6. John

    John Guest

    Thanks guys. Yeah they are just shortcuts. I wanted to get it back
    within the Programs Menu within the same structure it was before (its
    not a start menu item)

    Adding the .exe shortcuts back is not a problem but it's not in the
    following drop down set up:

    Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
    Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

    When I try and copy the folders as a shortcut, it does it but its not
    the same as all the other Program menu items, and it also copies
    everything within the folder not for example just the pfd
    instructions, the applications.

    I guess its even reinstall the program on top or wait for an update so
    it does it properly over the top?

    John

    John, Nov 24, 2010
  7. "John" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks guys. Yeah they are just shortcuts. I wanted to get it back
    > within the Programs Menu within the same structure it was before (its
    > not a start menu item)
    >
    > Adding the .exe shortcuts back is not a problem but it's not in the
    > following drop down set up:
    >
    > Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
    > Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)
    >
    > When I try and copy the folders as a shortcut, it does it but its not
    > the same as all the other Program menu items, and it also copies
    > everything within the folder not for example just the pfd
    > instructions, the applications.
    >
    > I guess its even reinstall the program on top or wait for an update so
    > it does it properly over the top?
    >
    > John

    Why are you making a shortcut of the Folder? All you need is to right-click
    on the .EXE and choose Make Shortcut. It will create a shortcut of the EXE
    and drop it in the same folder. You then drag the newly created shortcut to
    the Programs Folder. You can also drag the shortcut to the Desktop if you
    use it often enough to justify another desktop icon. And, if you really use
    it a lot, you can drag it to the Quick Launch Bar where a single-click will
    start it. If you hold the CTRL Key while you are dragging the shortcut to
    these places, you will drop a copy into each of these locations, and leave
    the original in place.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 24, 2010
  8. John

    Kele Guest

    Totally! Additionally, it's plausible to make a short-cut to a folder too
    like I did for my Temp Internet Directory - because I like to go there and
    see the components of web pages. The Internet is basically directories and
    links; so too is the computer. When that light bulb went on is when I lost
    some fear and took more control of the computer instead of it controlling
    me.

    ----------------------------------
    "Jeff Strickland" wrote:

    John,
    Why are you making a shortcut of the Folder? All you need is to right-click
    on the .EXE and choose Make Shortcut. It will create a shortcut of the EXE
    and drop it in the same folder. You then drag the newly created shortcut to
    the Programs Folder [Kele adds: or Start Menu]. You can also drag the

    Kele, Nov 25, 2010
  9. John

    Kele Guest

    PS: I think sometimes it's better to use the Classic style Start Menu. I
    sometimes forget that you might not being seeing everything in the Start
    Menu because the new style (XP) shows some kind of most used list up front.
    I'm not switching mine off Classic style to describe it better, but I think
    non-Classic style is harder to see what [links] you got and where. Maybe
    also harder to add and organize links too. As with last used (favorites)
    pull-down menus in Word, Excel, etc., you only keep seeing where you always
    go and don't see all the other available options. That's another one I
    change to Classic (show all).

    The Windows 7 has a very different Start Menu; generally I like it but
    doesn't seem as easily modified & expandable compared to XP Classic style.

    Kele, Nov 25, 2010
  10. You _can_ make a shortcut to a folder, but that won't run the program
    associated with it. If you have a program called ACME, creating a shortcut
    to the ACME folder will not invoke an instance of the program. You must make
    a shortcut from ACME.EXE, then when you click the shortcut, the program will
    start.

    I find it far more useful to make a switch for Windows Explorer that always
    causes it to open on My Computer with Drive C selected and the subfolders
    showing below than to make shortcuts to folders.

    Make a shortcut to the Windows Explorer (you can click
    START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES and hold the CTRL Key and drag Windows Explorer
    to the Desktop), drag it to the Desktop, or (even better) the Quick Launch
    Bar, or both, then Right-click the shortcut and choose Properties. Edit the
    target by adding /e to the end so it looks like this
    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e

    All future invocations of Windows Explorer will start you at Drive C instead
    of some mysterious location that forces you to navigate out to start looking
    for whatever you wanted to find.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 25, 2010
  11. "Kele" <> wrote in message
    > PS: I think sometimes it's better to use the Classic style Start Menu. I
    > sometimes forget that you might not being seeing everything in the Start
    > Menu because the new style (XP) shows some kind of most used list up
    > front.
    > I'm not switching mine off Classic style to describe it better, but I
    > think
    > non-Classic style is harder to see what [links] you got and where. Maybe
    > also harder to add and organize links too. As with last used (favorites)
    > pull-down menus in Word, Excel, etc., you only keep seeing where you
    > always
    > go and don't see all the other available options. That's another one I
    > change to Classic (show all).
    >
    > The Windows 7 has a very different Start Menu; generally I like it but
    > doesn't seem as easily modified & expandable compared to XP Classic style.

    I prefer the Classic Menu Style too. MSoft, are you listening????

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 25, 2010
  12. John

    Kele Guest

    What you said about making a short-cut to Windows Explorer...

    A must have in the Quick Launch bar IMHO.

    A variation is this path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.scf

    ------------------------------

    Kele, Nov 25, 2010
  13. John

    John Guest

    On Nov 24, 11:31 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "John" <> wrote in message

    > > Thanks guys. Yeah they are just shortcuts. I wanted to get it back
    > > within the Programs Menu within the same structure it was before (its
    > > not a start menu item)

    > > Adding the .exe shortcuts back is not a problem but it's not in the
    > > following drop down set up:

    > > Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
    > > Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

    > > When I try and copy the folders as a shortcut, it does it but its not
    > > the same as all the other Program menu items, and it also copies
    > > everything within the folder not for example just the pfd
    > > instructions, the applications.

    > > I guess its even reinstall the program on top or wait for an update so
    > > it does it properly over the top?

    > > John

    > Why are you making a shortcut of the Folder? All you need is to right-click
    > on the .EXE and choose Make Shortcut. It will create a shortcut of the EXE
    > and drop it in the same folder. You then drag the newly created shortcut to
    > the Programs Folder. You can also drag the shortcut to the Desktop if you
    > use it often enough to justify another desktop icon. And, if you really use
    > it a lot, you can drag it to the Quick Launch Bar where a single-click will
    > start it. If you hold the CTRL Key while you are dragging the shortcut to
    > these places, you will drop a copy into each of these locations, and leave
    > the original in place.- Hide quoted text -

    You don't seem to understand. It is because I want it in the same
    structure as it was previous as I have already stated! There is more
    than one folder within the folder and more than 1 program or pdfs
    within those!

    This is the structure:

    Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
    Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

    This is as it is now:

    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/john10001/com/PanasonicNoArrow.jpg

    You can see that there is no arrow to the right of the Panasonic
    shortcut which would then fork to either the Lumix or PHOTOfunSTUDIO
    5.0 HD folders and then as per the structure above! As it was
    originally before accidentally deleting!

    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/john10001/com/ProgramsMenu.jpg

    As you can see from the above example the structure of the Programs
    Menu folders can go a lot deeper and the folders themselves shouldn't
    be actual shortcuts, that is not what I want but it is what I get by
    following the advice. I want to get it back to the way it was
    previously with the same structure. Not just having the pdf and
    PhotofunStudio application as single entity shortcuts. I need to get
    it layered correctly as per the structure.

    John

    John, Nov 28, 2010
  14. John

    John Guest

    This is what I get when I follow the advice:

    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/john10001/com/PanasonicNoArrow.jpg

    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/john10001/com/NotWhatIWant.jpg

    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/john10001/com/NotWhatIWantEither.jpg

    It is not within the structure it was previously:

    Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
    Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

    It appears that the only way to get it back to the way it was is to
    reinstall the program again over the top from the installation CD.

    John, Nov 28, 2010
  15. John

    John Guest

    I've got the Operating Instructions PDF file back now within the
    correct structure in the Programs Menu after reinstalling from the
    CD.

    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/john10001/com/operatinginstructionsback.jpg

    I've also got Silkypix back but unfortunately PhotoFunStudio HD
    couldn't be reinstalled. It complained that the present version is
    newer. It also complained that Quick Time is newer than the one it is
    trying to install. So In order to get this structure: Panasonic
    \PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application) back I will have
    to uninstall the program completely as well as Quicktime.

    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/john10001/com/reinstallationimpossiblewhatafarce.jpg

    Can you see though in the first link the correct structure as I have
    explained? It now just needs Photofun Studio back in there as well
    plus the other options that go with it such as direct upload to
    YouTube.

    John

    John, Nov 28, 2010
  16. John

    John Guest

    John, Nov 28, 2010
  17. "John" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 24, 11:31 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "John" <> wrote in message

    > > Thanks guys. Yeah they are just shortcuts. I wanted to get it back
    > > within the Programs Menu within the same structure it was before (its
    > > not a start menu item)

    > > Adding the .exe shortcuts back is not a problem but it's not in the
    > > following drop down set up:

    > > Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
    > > Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

    > > When I try and copy the folders as a shortcut, it does it but its not
    > > the same as all the other Program menu items, and it also copies
    > > everything within the folder not for example just the pfd
    > > instructions, the applications.

    > > I guess its even reinstall the program on top or wait for an update so
    > > it does it properly over the top?

    > > John

    > Why are you making a shortcut of the Folder? All you need is to
    > right-click
    > on the .EXE and choose Make Shortcut. It will create a shortcut of the EXE
    > and drop it in the same folder. You then drag the newly created shortcut
    > the Programs Folder. You can also drag the shortcut to the Desktop if you
    > use it often enough to justify another desktop icon. And, if you really
    > use
    > it a lot, you can drag it to the Quick Launch Bar where a single-click
    > will
    > start it. If you hold the CTRL Key while you are dragging the shortcut to
    > these places, you will drop a copy into each of these locations, and leave
    > the original in place.- Hide quoted text -

    You don't seem to understand. It is because I want it in the same
    structure as it was previous as I have already stated! There is more
    than one folder within the folder and more than 1 program or pdfs
    within those!

    This is the structure:

    Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
    Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

    This is as it is now:

    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/john10001/com/PanasonicNoArrow.jpg

    You can see that there is no arrow to the right of the Panasonic
    shortcut which would then fork to either the Lumix or PHOTOfunSTUDIO
    5.0 HD folders and then as per the structure above! As it was
    originally before accidentally deleting!

    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/john10001/com/ProgramsMenu.jpg

    As you can see from the above example the structure of the Programs
    Menu folders can go a lot deeper and the folders themselves shouldn't
    be actual shortcuts, that is not what I want but it is what I get by
    following the advice. I want to get it back to the way it was
    previously with the same structure. Not just having the pdf and
    PhotofunStudio application as single entity shortcuts. I need to get
    it layered correctly as per the structure.

    John

    <JS>
    One does not access a folder from the Program Menu. One uses the Program
    Menu to access a PROGRAM.

    What you are saying is nonsensical.

    If you want to click START>ALL PROGRAMS> to start acme.exe, then you can put
    acme.exe into the Program Folder, or put a shortcut to acme.exe into the
    Program Folder. You do not but the Acme Folder into the Program Folder.

    Your file structure should be c:\Program files\Acme Program, but the PROGRAM
    FOLDER under the Start Menu should list .exe files, or the shortcuts to
    those files. If the Acme Program is deleted from the Program Files Folder,
    and is also emptied from the Recycle Bin, then it must be reinstalled so
    that it can be properly registered in the Registry.

    My confusion is that you seem to be using Program Folder (from the Start
    Menu) and Program Files Folder interchangably. You should not do that. The
    folders are very different.

    There is a Program folder under Documents and Settings\<username>\Start
    Menu\Programs. This is the Program Folder that contains the .EXE files or
    the Shortcuts to the .EXE files. There is also a Program Files Folder that
    is a direct subfolder of Drive C. This is where the floders for all of your
    programs should live if you accept the default installation location. (Some
    Installs will put their files outside of the Program Files Folder, but this
    is a technical violation of the Windows file conventions.)

    If you have an application (program) that works if you navigate to the EXE
    file that launches it, then you should leave well enough alone and simply
    put the EXE or a Shortcut (I suggest a shortcut so you do not delete the EXE
    by mistake) into the Program Folder that is under the Start Menu.

    If the application does not work because the EXE is missing already, then it
    must be reinstalled. In theory, if you had the program on another machine
    and the program works, and you were simply missing the EXE from your
    machine, you could copy the EXE from one machine and paste it to the other,
    then make a shortcut and drop it onto the Programs Folder under the start
    menu.

    If the application does not run when you locate the EXE file within the
    program's own folder, then you must reinstall it. You cannot simply copy a
    program and it's folders from one machine to another, even if you maintain
    the structure you think you want, and expect it to work. Programs have to be
    installed so that they are properly listed in the System Registry before
    they will function properly.

    The menu layers in the screen shots you provided are created during
    installation via entires in the System Registry. You have to Install your
    program again. If the program actually works properly, then you can ignore
    the missing subfolders from the Start>All Programs Menu and just put a
    shortcut to the application back. You do not need that other stuff.

    </JS>

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 28, 2010
  18. John

    Kele Guest

    John, I may be writing too much, but if you follow along line by line, it
    will work. I can write less if just to answer a specific question. So far
    it's been explaining all the steps and the fundamental principle of taking
    control of a Windows Start Menu. If unsure, ask how to perform specific
    parts of this so we can address the specific question, example... How can I
    create a folder in the Start Menu? I think we can help with that, John.
    Follows is just more of the same; maybe something will be illuminating.

    Jeff & I are trying to explain how the Start Menu items are links to
    programs. Simply, they are just shortcuts. If you create shortcuts in your
    Browser and go as far as creating folders and grouping your Internet
    shortcuts into those folders, it's no different with the Start Menu.

    [rehash] It's possible, therefore, to create (or recreate) the "structure"
    of anything in the Start Menu. I previously explained how to go to the
    Start Menu in Windows Explorer. If you tried that, you can see how easy it
    is to manipulate. Also explained was that by going to a program's installed
    directory on your computer (c:\Program Files\...) you can create shortcuts
    to any piece of the program; that includes *.exe, and the help.pdf files if
    that's what you want a shortcut too. Put created shortcuts into the Start
    Menu.

    I don't understand Jeff about not needing folders in the Start Menu. When a
    program is installed, a Start Menu folder (program group) is often created
    containing a link to the program, a link to the Help file, a link to the
    program's web page, etc. Folders and sub-folders can help keep things
    organized. But in truth, Jeff is correct. Remember, Start Menu > Program
    items are just links, the actual file is located in c:\Program Files\. In
    XP, when you look at Start > Programs it's the same as looking at
    c:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs

    Just one more thing, John... and don't get defensive, it's not uncommon for
    me to see similar and it's your computer and all. I was jucky to have had a
    geek show me about this subject and it was a revelation. That's why I'm
    sharing and this might interest others. Your screen shots are telling. As
    you install a program, whatever it places in your Start Menu is what
    remains. Who cares about Silver Light so why keep it in the Start Menu?
    Delete it. If you have one link in a folder, drag the link out of the
    folder and let it go outside the folder then delete the empty folder. Lumix
    operating instructions... that is the same pdf that opens when you're in
    the Panasonic Camera Photo Downloader and click on Help... Maybe not, but
    if it is, why keep a link to it in your Start Menu? Go to c:\Program
    Files\Panasonic\Lumix\...LX5 Operating Instructions.pdf. That's the actual
    file, the Instuction.pdf icon you wanted back in the Start Menu is a link to
    it ONLY. Right click on the link in the Start Menu > Properties... that
    shows you the path to the actual file location. I didn't read Jeff's last
    word for word, but he's right... why install the program again just to get
    the Instructions.pdf link back in the Start Menu. If you deleted every item
    in my Start Menu, I'd just put them all back by creating links to the files
    again.

    PS: I made a Start Menu Folder and drug all the Microsoft Office short-cuts
    into it - that groups like items into one folder and takes up less Start
    Menu real-estate. You can make a Start Menu "Printer" folder and put all
    things Epson in there; looks like that would save you at least three lines.
    You can create folders within a folder and really organize your Start Menu :

    Start
    Programs
    Microsoft
    Office
    Word
    Excel
    Mouse
    Silver Light
    Media Players
    Windows Media
    Quick Time
    VLC
    Games
    master blaster
    launch program
    on-line link
    instructions
    Bingo
    My Programs
    WinRar
    Steam
    uTorrent

    This example only uses four lines of the Start > Programs menu, but stores
    many links within each folder/sub-folder. Build it your way. NOTE: Don't
    delete the Start > Programs > Startup folder... just make sure it's always
    empty.

    Kele, Nov 29, 2010
  19. "Kele" <> wrote in message
    > John, I may be writing too much, but if you follow along line by line, it
    > will work. I can write less if just to answer a specific question. So
    > far
    > it's been explaining all the steps and the fundamental principle of taking
    > control of a Windows Start Menu. If unsure, ask how to perform specific
    > parts of this so we can address the specific question, example... How can
    > create a folder in the Start Menu? I think we can help with that, John.
    > Follows is just more of the same; maybe something will be illuminating.
    >
    > Jeff & I are trying to explain how the Start Menu items are links to
    > programs. Simply, they are just shortcuts. If you create shortcuts in
    > your
    > Browser and go as far as creating folders and grouping your Internet
    > shortcuts into those folders, it's no different with the Start Menu.
    >
    > [rehash] It's possible, therefore, to create (or recreate) the "structure"
    > of anything in the Start Menu. I previously explained how to go to the
    > Start Menu in Windows Explorer. If you tried that, you can see how easy
    > it
    > is to manipulate. Also explained was that by going to a program's
    > installed
    > directory on your computer (c:\Program Files\...) you can create shortcuts
    > to any piece of the program; that includes *.exe, and the help.pdf files
    > if
    > that's what you want a shortcut too. Put created shortcuts into the Start
    > Menu.
    >
    > I don't understand Jeff about not needing folders in the Start Menu.

    I was speaking to what I thought the OP was saying about making a shortcut
    to a folder, then droping the shortcut into the START>PROGRAMS menu/folder.
    All that would happen in such a scenario is that the folder shortcut would
    open the folder, not the program. I agree with you completely that Program
    Installation will often (almost always) generate a host of folder within the
    Start Programs menu, but my understanding of these is that they are actually
    created through Registry entries.

    I believe (now) that the OP is using Programs Folder under the Start Menu
    and Program Files Folder off of the Root Directory interchangably, or at
    least I have interchanged them based on what I thought he was saying.

    There appears to me to be some confusion of the purpose and placement of the
    Start Programs and Program Files folders.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 29, 2010
  20. John

    Kele Guest

    Hey Jeff,

    I believe you can make your Start Menu the way you want it. Hopefully, we
    helped John (and maybe others) know that it is possible and it's really not
    hard. It would take only about two minutes to show but explaining it is
    deep.

    This response has to do with your last sentence (below). To me the Start
    Menu is an assortment of quick access' (links) to the corresponding program
    (or file) on c:\Program Files (a common location). We can make a Start Menu
    (that's the one at the bottom left of the screen) > Programs shortcut to
    just about anything from anywhere on the computer. To edit the Start Menu
    items, there are a couple of ways. I think the most empowering way is going
    to: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu, where username is your
    computer user name or maybe it's admin if you have only the one.
    Manipulating the contents is similar to creating folders, moving, deleting
    files in your My Documents folder. Only thing is that the Start Menu (the
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu folder) is comprised of links
    and not actual files or documents. I read you explain creating links to
    John. If we can create a link, we can place it in our Start Menu folder.
    Then if we look at the Start button at the lower left of the screen, it will
    be there - wherever the link was placed. For the record, it would be unwise
    to actually place (paste) a file or program into the C:\Documents and
    Settings\username\Start Menu folder as that would be a duplicate on your
    computer and the Start Menu would have to contend with opening more than
    just a link (couple of kilobytes). Most people just drag desktop shortcuts
    to the Start button and then to a sub-menu and let go. That's ok too, but
    it's not ok for making a [new] folder in the Start Menu. For that, go to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu folder and then at the top of
    the explorer window, File > New Folder (or shortcut).

    My people freak-out when they see me delete anything from their Start Menu
    because they think that I'm deleing the program. For example, I like to
    delete the Acrobat Reader icon from Start > Programs. Have we ever opened
    the program Acrobat Reader or do we click on a PDF document and the
    associated program (Acrobat Reader) is launched. They freak some more when
    I also delete it off their desktop. And how many places do we need a
    QuickTime shortcut? No point in keeping links that we'll never use. Funny
    thing I'll share... my brother emails me attachments that are just the links
    from his desktop. Of course I can't use his links. Thanks Carol for
    helping me understand the difference between a link and an actual file.

    An exercise about this subject for XP users:

    Right-click on your desktop > New Shortcut. In the create shortcut dialog
    that follows enter (paste):
    %windir%\system32\RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
    Next dialog window, name it "Remove Hardware"

    On your desktop is now a link to the computer's dll file that launches the
    Safely Remove Hardware window. Drag that shortcut to the Start button, up
    past the line and let it go. You've just edited your Start Menu with a
    useful link(s). Change the icon if you like. Delete it, move it back to
    the desktop or elsewhere; it doesn't matter... It's just a link!

    PS: yes, Jeff, C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu [and] Start
    Menu (that's the one at the bottom left of the screen) = one in the same.
    I think the registry is a translation of the GUI interface into computer
    language, so yes whatever we do to the Start Menu is conveyed to the
    computer via the registry. You can probably affect change to the Start Menu
    by changing the registry... but let's not go there.

    Kele, Dec 1, 2010