Addendum to monitor problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by me, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. me

    me Guest

    This is a new one on me. The monitor did indeed go kablooey on me--changed
    monitors and everything works great.

    The one thing I did before the original monitor started acting all goofy on
    me was--I was playing Civ3, turned the game off, went out, came back and the
    monitor was kaput.

    So, I didn't really give it any thought until today--put Civ3 in, fired it
    up--it shut the new monitor down too(although it did not distort the color
    scheme as it had the previous monitor)--I mean it completely shut the
    monitor down by actually blocking the signal that goes to it from the video
    card--now that is a strange one on me. Took the Civ3 cd out, reset the my
    machine, and everything worked great again--tried it a second and third time
    and each time I fired the game up--it shut the signal down to the monitor.

    So....now I have to figure out why, after about two years would it now
    suddenly begin interfering with the monitor or the signal to it........

    I am really baffled by this one.

    Any input appreciated.

    me, Jul 20, 2005

  2. On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:54:02 -0400, "me" <> wrote:

    >This is a new one on me. The monitor did indeed go kablooey on me--changed
    >monitors and everything works great.
    >
    >The one thing I did before the original monitor started acting all goofy on
    >me was--I was playing Civ3, turned the game off, went out, came back and the
    >monitor was kaput.
    >
    >So, I didn't really give it any thought until today--put Civ3 in, fired it
    >up--it shut the new monitor down too(although it did not distort the color
    >scheme as it had the previous monitor)--I mean it completely shut the
    >monitor down by actually blocking the signal that goes to it from the video
    >card--now that is a strange one on me. Took the Civ3 cd out, reset the my
    >machine, and everything worked great again--tried it a second and third time
    >and each time I fired the game up--it shut the signal down to the monitor.

    Try leaving the monitor off if there is a blind way to start CIV, or
    turn the monitor off and back on again. Saw a similar thing years ago
    when the screen between splash and Windows would drop the monitor to
    sleep mode.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 20, 2005

  3. me

    Someone Guest

    "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:54:02 -0400, "me" <> wrote:
    >
    >>This is a new one on me. The monitor did indeed go kablooey on
    >>me--changed
    >>monitors and everything works great.
    >>
    >>The one thing I did before the original monitor started acting all goofy
    >>on
    >>me was--I was playing Civ3, turned the game off, went out, came back and
    >>the
    >>monitor was kaput.
    >>
    >>So, I didn't really give it any thought until today--put Civ3 in, fired it
    >>up--it shut the new monitor down too(although it did not distort the color
    >>scheme as it had the previous monitor)--I mean it completely shut the
    >>monitor down by actually blocking the signal that goes to it from the
    >>video
    >>card--now that is a strange one on me. Took the Civ3 cd out, reset the my
    >>machine, and everything worked great again--tried it a second and third
    >>time
    >>and each time I fired the game up--it shut the signal down to the monitor.

    > Try leaving the monitor off if there is a blind way to start CIV, or
    > turn the monitor off and back on again. Saw a similar thing years ago
    > when the screen between splash and Windows would drop the monitor to
    > sleep mode.
    >
    > Tom
    >

    >>So....now I have to figure out why, after about two years would it now
    >>suddenly begin interfering with the monitor or the signal to it........
    >>

    >>I am really baffled by this one.
    >>
    >>Any input appreciated.

    Tom,

    Sounds like the game is trying to force the video into a resolution or
    refresh rate the monitor cannot handle and is causing the monitor to fail.
    Only explanation for it doing it now after two years is the possibility
    that someone changed the video settings from within the game. Check and see
    if that's the problem.
    I hope that's the case, sure would be an easy fix!

    Rich

    Someone, Jul 22, 2005
  4. me

    Russ Guest

    Hello,
    I was thinking what Rich was saying. Someone set the Res to high in the
    vidoe game options. I built a unit for a Lady, a while ago, which I used a
    matrox
    graphics card. About a year after, she had a problem, when booting up,
    could'nt even see
    any text at boot. When I booted the machine myself, I see a little message
    box come up,
    saying something like Res, or Hz out of range. After checking the matrox
    site, they had
    a fix for this. I booted with the floppy like it said, and it reset the
    refresh frequency back.
    So maybe it's been set too high in the game options.
    Have you tried looking in the game directory, to see if there are any .ini
    files, or config files
    that you may see a res=
    Maybe you can edit it. If you do find, I would drag a copy to your desktop
    first,
    and check the file your going to edit is not read only.

    Do hope you solve it

    Cheers

    Russy

    Russ, Jul 24, 2005
  5. me

    Russ Guest

    Sorry, one more thing I thought. Have you checked the Civ3 site.
    Maybe there's a fix, or check the FAQ's
    Is it XP compatible.

    Russ, Jul 24, 2005