    desktop picture I had, and then after startup, they'd be reordered, and
    rearranged in columns starting on the top left of the screen.

    How do I overcome this?
    ., Mar 6, 2006

  2. X-No-Archive: YES
    .. [] has entered into testimony

    > I just got a Windows XP computer. As soon as I had it networked with
    > my Windows 2000 machine, the Win2k machine's desktop icons would
    > completely rearrange on startup. They'd been spread out around the
    > faces on a desktop picture I had, and then after startup, they'd be
    > reordered, and rearranged in columns starting on the top left of the
    > screen.
    >
    > How do I overcome this?

    Disable the "auto arrange icons" feature.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com
    Chadwick Stone©, Mar 6, 2006

  3. .

    . Guest

    In article <xTOOf.249216$>,
    "Chadwick Stone©" <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > . [] has entered into testimony
    >

    > > I just got a Windows XP computer. As soon as I had it networked with
    > > my Windows 2000 machine, the Win2k machine's desktop icons would
    > > completely rearrange on startup. They'd been spread out around the
    > > faces on a desktop picture I had, and then after startup, they'd be
    > > reordered, and rearranged in columns starting on the top left of the
    > > screen.
    > >
    > > How do I overcome this?

    > Disable the "auto arrange icons" feature.

    I *did* have auto arrange enabled, and I disabled it.

    However, the problem continues. Every time I start the computer, or
    every time I mount a network drive, the icons fly back to the ugly
    autoarrangement. Because I'm trying to connect to a network at startup,
    I think the networking has something to do with this happening.
    ., Mar 8, 2006
  4. X-No-Archive: YES
    .. [] has entered into testimony

    > In article <xTOOf.249216$>,
    > "Chadwick Stone©" <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >> . [] has entered into testimony
    >>

    >>> I just got a Windows XP computer. As soon as I had it networked
    >>> with my Windows 2000 machine, the Win2k machine's desktop icons
    >>> would completely rearrange on startup. They'd been spread out
    >>> around the faces on a desktop picture I had, and then after
    >>> startup, they'd be reordered, and rearranged in columns starting on
    >>> the top left of the screen.
    >>>
    >>> How do I overcome this?

    >> Disable the "auto arrange icons" feature.

    > I *did* have auto arrange enabled, and I disabled it.
    >
    > However, the problem continues. Every time I start the computer, or
    > every time I mount a network drive, the icons fly back to the ugly
    > autoarrangement. Because I'm trying to connect to a network at
    > startup, I think the networking has something to do with this
    > happening.

    Can you ping your "my network" icon? You might also call your ISP
    helpdesk and ask if they can ping it. Remind them you are talking about
    pinging icons, not IP addresses. This is a new diagnostic technique so
    if the guy you talk to hasn't heard of it, ask to speak to the
    supervisor/teamlead and request they schedule classes for their ops.

    Be sure to post how well this works for you ;)

    Chadwick Stone©, Mar 8, 2006