    there. I can get into the bios and the ram read fine. I even tried
    to F8 safe mode, but the keyboard would not respont. Does this sound
    like I fried my mother board? What else can I try. Thanks

    5ttt, Feb 9, 2006

  2. 5ttt

    Noel Paton Guest

    "5ttt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I did a stupid thing yesterday. I usually press the power button that
    > send the comptuer to hibernate mode. Not thinking I did that
    > instead of powering off and then added a stick of ram. I assume the
    > power is not totally off in this mode, even though it sound like there
    > is nothing running.
    >
    > Now when I power up the keyboard responds if I hit delete. but if I
    > let it boot up it gives me two options ( I don't remember the wording)
    > one is to try to restore the last boot or to do a clean reboot. But
    > the problem is at this point the keyboard does not respond. I hoock
    > up that hard drive to a spare computer I have and the hd data is all
    > there. I can get into the bios and the ram read fine. I even tried
    > to F8 safe mode, but the keyboard would not respont. Does this sound
    > like I fried my mother board? What else can I try. Thanks

    Remove the RAM and try a reboot
    Remove the batteries for an hour - unplug from the mains - and try a reboot

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Feb 9, 2006

  3. 5ttt

    5ttt Guest

    I forgot to mention I got the same error message when I unpluged the
    extra new ram chip.
    This is an Athalon 3000 desktop system, 512ram, 80 gig hd, win 2000 (2
    partitions). Will not give me the option to boot up to the second
    partition.

    5ttt, Feb 9, 2006
  4. 5ttt

    5ttt Guest

    Also, if I can't find the exact same motherboard (A7X8X-X), will I have
    to re install the hard drive from scatch?

    5ttt, Feb 9, 2006
  5. 5ttt

    Noel Paton Guest

    "5ttt" <> wrote in message
    >I forgot to mention I got the same error message when I unpluged the
    > extra new ram chip.
    > This is an Athalon 3000 desktop system, 512ram, 80 gig hd, win 2000 (2
    > partitions). Will not give me the option to boot up to the second
    > partition.

    In that case power down the system and unplug it for an hour - then power
    up - go into the BIOS and make sure that recognises the current RAM
    configuration (you may need to turn off any BIOS AV setting). Also make sure
    that the USB Legacy settings are switched ON (if you're using a USB keyboard
    or mouse) which should allow the keyboard to work properly.

    When you say it won't allow boot to the second partition - do you mean that
    you have Win2K installed as a dual-boot with itself? if not, then there's no
    way that the system would boot to it anyhow.

    It's also possible that you simply dislodged something in the case when you
    originally installed the new RAM - check all connectors, etc are properly
    seated.

    Noel Paton, Feb 9, 2006
  6. 5ttt

    lbbss Guest

    thanks for your help. I partially booted my hd on my spare system.
    Now that I plugged it back in the original system, it magically works,
    even with the new ram it works. I also reset the bios to default
    settings. I am not sure what did it, but it all works. So is there
    power still running that all the hardware during hibernate? If so,
    how come it did not fry my system? What do you think happened?
    thanks.

    p.s. yes I have a dual boot sytem, both are win 2k.

    lbbss

    lbbss, Feb 9, 2006
  7. 5ttt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > thanks for your help. I partially booted my hd on my spare system.
    > Now that I plugged it back in the original system, it magically works,
    > even with the new ram it works. I also reset the bios to default
    > settings. I am not sure what did it, but it all works. So is there
    > power still running that all the hardware during hibernate? If so,
    > how come it did not fry my system? What do you think happened?

    More luck than brains.

    > thanks.
    >
    > p.s. yes I have a dual boot sytem, both are win 2k.

    If the same OS, then why a dual boot?

    PuppyKatt, Feb 9, 2006
  8. 5ttt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Why the name changes; 5ttt and ibbss?

    PuppyKatt, Feb 9, 2006
  9. 5ttt

    Noel Paton Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > thanks for your help. I partially booted my hd on my spare system.
    > Now that I plugged it back in the original system, it magically works,
    > even with the new ram it works. I also reset the bios to default
    > settings. I am not sure what did it, but it all works. So is there
    > power still running that all the hardware during hibernate? If so,
    > how come it did not fry my system? What do you think happened?
    > thanks.
    >
    > p.s. yes I have a dual boot sytem, both are win 2k.

    During hibernation, the system powers down to a minimal state - just enough
    to maintain electrical awareness. The exact level depends on the
    motherboard, OS and settings.
    You would seem to have got lucky this time, and got away with what sounds
    like only a corrupted disk (which booting to another OS allowed that OS to
    fix on-the-fly - one of the benefits of NTFS, supposedly).

    Don't even think of doing it again - you almost certainly won't get that
    lucky again!

    Noel Paton, Feb 9, 2006