    your comments.
    --
    spatin
    =?Utf-8?B?c3BhdGlu?=, Mar 18, 2007

  2. Jack: I have the same problem except I don't have Vista. I have desktop XP
    Media Center, laptop XP tablet and laptop XPMC. The usb drives are connected
    to desktop. I have done all I can setup but some reason xpmc laptop will not
    access the USB drives. The XP Tablet access the USB drives for read only. I
    have netbios setup on all machine.

    I have Norton Internet Security 2007 installed on the Desktop but I don't
    think it is the problem. Any help appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?aGltc2hhaA==?=, Mar 18, 2007

  3. Hi

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 18, 2007
  4. Hi Jack. Thank you very much for your reply. I may be misunderstanding your
    reply but it seems that you think the USB external drive is on the Vista
    machine. It is not. It is on one of the 2 XP computers. The Vista is a
    newcomer to the network and so far has behaved ok.
    The "host" computer is my desktop, which is also an XP machine.
    The computer with the external HD is my wife's laptop, which is an XP machine.
    I can't access the external HD from my "host" computer.
    Does that make a difference in your answer?
    --
    spatin

    =?Utf-8?B?c3BhdGlu?=, Mar 18, 2007
  5. Hi
    Actually Norton2007 might be the problem.
    May be this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Basic XP -
    Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 18, 2007
  6. Hi
    Sorry for the confusion, see my answer to himshah in the same thread.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 18, 2007
  7. Jack: I have gone thru each steps for Microsoft link you provided but it is
    not allowing the XPMC to open folder beyond the drive (I can double click on
    drive letter but can't open any folder in USB drive). It is tied something
    with USB drives setup. I can open various folder on desktop computer "C"
    drive. The notebook with tabletpc xp can access the usb drive folder with
    read only rights.

    when I tried to setup security - tried to add user name of notebook - it is
    not finding it.

    =?Utf-8?B?aGltc2hhaA==?=, Mar 19, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?c3BhdGlu?=

    Stephen Guest

    spatin wrote:
    > Greetings group. I have 3 computers on a home network. The host is an XP
    > desktop. Upstairs is an XP laptop. I also have a Vista laptop on the
    > network. Everything seems to work ok except for this new problem.
    > This weekend my wife, who has the XP laptop upstairs, installed an external
    > hard drive to do backups and store photos. It is a USB connection to her
    > laptop. After setting it up, we opened the sharing and security tab and
    > selected to share the entire drive on the network, root and all. On her
    > laptop, the icon for that drive has the little hand under it to indicate that
    > it is shared.
    > Now, going to the other two computers on the network, I can see the external
    > HD on her computer, but I cannot open it or access it. I get this message
    > when I try to map the network drive: "You might not have permission to use
    > this network resource. Contact the administrator (that's me) of this server
    > to find out if you have access permissions." Then it says "Not enough server
    > storage is available to process this command."
    > What do I need to do to get access to the external hard drive? Thanks for
    > your comments.

    I have the same error message re "Server storage" when trying to access
    a USB hard drive attached to an XP Home desktop from a Vista Home laptop
    via wireless. I can access all the folders on the fixed disks, and the
    printer attached to the XP desktop.

    Did you find a solution to this problem?

    Stephen
    Stephen, Apr 24, 2007