    I know I can connect the wireless router into the switch and have a
    different subnet etc - is this advisable?

    Thanks
    CK, Jun 12, 2008

  2. If your firewall and switch can do VLAN, then you can have different subnets
    for the private LAN and public LAN. Most Cisco firewall and switch can limit
    bandwidth based on IP or subnet. router/modem with QoS may help some.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jun 12, 2008

  3. Hi
    It is rather simple to do this with two Routers.
    Here how; Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 12, 2008
  4. CK

    CK Guest

    On 12 Jun, 13:45, "Frankster" <> wrote:
    > > Planning to add wireless capability onto our existing network purely
    > > for visitors to our offices.

    > This statement means nothing. Technically it doesn't matter if they are
    > visiting or permenant. What do you mean? Do you mean you want them to have
    > access to your network? No?  Access to the Internet only and not your
    > network? What? I assume the latter, but, might they need to use your
    > printers?
    > > Current network is DSL modem, connected directly to firewall
    > > then switch which distributes to the network.
    > > Two questions:
    > > 1. I want to connect the new wireless router directly to the DSL modem
    > > and bypass our network completly - for security and bandwidth.  any
    > > issues with that or advice?

    > Security for what? Connecting to the DSL modem wirless would mean they would
    > be on the same subnet as the outside interface of your firewall. If that's
    > okay... you're done.
    > > 2. As the wireless will be directly connected to the DSL modem, how
    > > can i limit the bandwidth being used on wireless? or put differently
    > > what's a good wireless router that has feature to limit bandwidth?

    > If you want a selective bandwidth limiting device be prepared to pay big
    > bucks. Here's one:
    >
    > http://www.etinc.com/product_info.php?products_id=88884&osCsid=67d76f....
    >
    > > I know I can connect the wireless router into the switch and have a
    > > different subnet etc - is this advisable?

    > Most folks probably do it this way.
    >
    > -Frank

    Thanks Frank. Want them to connect to the internet only.
    The external subnet wont be a problem as local network is shielded
    behind firewall, with a different internal IP and subnet for local
    network.
    Thanks again.
    CK, Jun 13, 2008
  5. CK

    CK Guest

    On 12 Jun, 22:21, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > It is rather simple to do this with two Routers.
    > Here how;  Network Segregation -  http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "CK" <> wrote in message

    > > Planning to add wireless capability onto our existing network purely
    > > for visitors to our offices.  Current network is DSL modem, connected
    > > directly to firewall then switch which distributes to the network.
    > > Two questions:

    > > 1. I want to connect the new wireless router directly to the DSL modem
    > > and bypass our network completly - for security and bandwidth.  any
    > > issues with that or advice?

    > > 2. As the wireless will be directly connected to the DSL modem, how
    > > can i limit the bandwidth being used on wireless? or put differently
    > > what's a good wireless router that has feature to limit bandwidth?

    > > I know I can connect the wireless router into the switch and have a
    > > different subnet etc - is this advisable?

    > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Robert, will have a look at my equipment and see if QOS is
    available.
    Thanks Jack, this was helpful. Think I have a better idea now.
    Very grateful for all your help.
    CK, Jun 13, 2008