    tell me what to do? Basically, what I want to know is whether I
    have to tick all the items I want to have installed even if they
    are already installed.
    pimpom, Sep 27, 2009

  2. pimpom

    Tony Guest

    Just highlight the *pig* with a left click then left click on remove.
    The trick is to install v10 after removing v11 without rebooting the
    snatch of a computer.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 27, 2009

  3. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Just highlight the *pig* with a left click then left click on
    > remove.
    > The trick is to install v10 after removing v11 without
    > rebooting the
    > snatch of a computer.
    >
    > pimpom wrote:
    >
    >> I want to remove WMP 11 and install v10 in my Win XP SP3, but
    >> it's been years since I tried adding or removing Windows
    >> components. When I open the "Add/Remove Windows Components"
    >> box,
    >> some of the installed items are ticked (like WMP 11) while
    >> some
    >> are not (like IE8, OE. etc.).
    >>
    >> I don't remember exactly what I did when I made a hurried
    >> attempt
    >> to remove WMP 11 last week, but it resulted in not being able
    >> load Explorer.exe and I had to re-install Windows. I don't
    >> want
    >> to risk having to go through that again, so can anyone please
    >> tell me what to do? Basically, what I want to know is whether
    >> have to tick all the items I want to have installed even if
    >> they
    >> are already installed.

    ^^ There's no "Remove" button to click in the Windows components
    add/remove window. It has only Back, Next and Cancel buttons.
    Perhaps you're thinking of the more often used Add/Remove panel
    for third-party programs?

    The add or remove control for Windows components lists programs
    integrated with Windows. Each component has a check box. What's
    confusing is that some of the installed components are checked
    while others are not. This is where I made a mistake last week
    and ended up having to reinstall Windoze.

    I repeat: Before clicking the "Next" button, do I have to tick
    the components I want to retain even if they are already
    installed? OR, will checking a component remove it in the next
    step if it was already installed?
    pimpom, Sep 27, 2009
  4. pimpom

    Mike Easter Guest

    pimpom wrote:

    > The add or remove control for Windows components lists programs
    > integrated with Windows. Each component has a check box.

    I agree with this part.

    > What's
    > confusing is that some of the installed components are checked
    > while others are not.

    Not in my experience. I don't agree with that
    part/sentence/observation.

    > This is where I made a mistake last week
    > and ended up having to reinstall Windoze.

    Maybe something was wrong before you made the check/uncheck (error
    condition) observation. See below.

    > I repeat: Before clicking the "Next" button, do I have to tick
    > the components I want to retain even if they are already
    > installed? OR, will checking a component remove it in the next
    > step if it was already installed?

    In my experience, a checked object is either installed or you have
    checked it to be installed. An unchecked object is either not installed
    or you have unchecked it so it will be uninstalled.

    I have no explanation for your 2nd sentence/observation above.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 27, 2009
  5. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > pimpom wrote:
    >
    >> The add or remove control for Windows components lists
    >> programs
    >> integrated with Windows. Each component has a check box.

    > I agree with this part.
    >
    >> What's
    >> confusing is that some of the installed components are checked
    >> while others are not.

    > Not in my experience. I don't agree with that
    > part/sentence/observation.
    >
    >> This is where I made a mistake last week
    >> and ended up having to reinstall Windoze.

    > Maybe something was wrong before you made the check/uncheck
    > (error
    > condition) observation. See below.
    >
    >> I repeat: Before clicking the "Next" button, do I have to tick
    >> the components I want to retain even if they are already
    >> installed? OR, will checking a component remove it in the next
    >> step if it was already installed?

    > In my experience, a checked object is either installed or you
    > have
    > checked it to be installed. An unchecked object is either not
    > installed or you have unchecked it so it will be uninstalled.
    >
    > I have no explanation for your 2nd sentence/observation above.

    Accepted that you can't explain it, but I'm quite sure of what I
    have. To give specific examples, I have OE installed and am
    obviously using it to post this message, but it is clearly
    unchecked in the list. Same thing with Internet Explorer. But
    Windows Media Player is checked. (I have the panel open in front
    of me right now). But they all fuction properly.

    BTW, my reason for wanting to replace WMP 11 with 10 is that the
    former refuses to display non-embedded movie sub-titles (I have
    the latest K-Lite codec pack installed).
    pimpom, Sep 27, 2009
  6. pimpom

    Mike Easter Guest

    pimpom wrote:

    > Accepted that you can't explain it, but I'm quite sure of what I
    > have. To give specific examples, I have OE installed and am
    > obviously using it to post this message, but it is clearly
    > unchecked in the list. Same thing with Internet Explorer. But
    > Windows Media Player is checked. (I have the panel open in front
    > of me right now). But they all fuction properly.

    In some versions of windows, the applications OE & IE are not the same
    as other windows components because they are integrated into the OS and
    can't be removed.

    In some versions, the integrated IE has as a component OE. That is, the
    addition or removal of OE takes place as if OE were a 'creature' of IE.

    The removal of IE in some versions is 'impossible', it can only be
    repaired.

    After you have added a newer version of IE to Win, then you can 'remove'
    the newer version in favor of its being replaced by the previous
    integrated version of IE.

    In some situations, the 'removal' of IE isn't actually a removal, its
    access or listing is removed from your view, but the 'innards' of the
    installed IE are still in place.

    > BTW, my reason for wanting to replace WMP 11 with 10 is that the
    > former refuses to display non-embedded movie sub-titles (I have
    > the latest K-Lite codec pack installed).

    Maybe you should R&R the WMP, remove wmp11 and replace/reinstallll
    wmp11.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 27, 2009
  7. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > pimpom wrote:
    >
    >> Accepted that you can't explain it, but I'm quite sure of what
    >> have. To give specific examples, I have OE installed and am
    >> obviously using it to post this message, but it is clearly
    >> unchecked in the list. Same thing with Internet Explorer. But
    >> Windows Media Player is checked. (I have the panel open in
    >> front
    >> of me right now). But they all fuction properly.

    > In some versions of windows, the applications OE & IE are not
    > the same
    > as other windows components because they are integrated into
    > the OS
    > and can't be removed.
    >
    > In some versions, the integrated IE has as a component OE.
    > That is,
    > the addition or removal of OE takes place as if OE were a
    > 'creature'
    > of IE.
    >
    > The removal of IE in some versions is 'impossible', it can only
    > be
    > repaired.
    >
    > After you have added a newer version of IE to Win, then you can
    > 'remove' the newer version in favor of its being replaced by
    > the
    >
    > In some situations, the 'removal' of IE isn't actually a
    > removal, its
    > access or listing is removed from your view, but the 'innards'
    > of the
    > installed IE are still in place.

    Yes. of course. That's what it says in the description when an
    item is highlighted.

    >> BTW, my reason for wanting to replace WMP 11 with 10 is that
    >> the
    >> former refuses to display non-embedded movie sub-titles (I
    >> have
    >> the latest K-Lite codec pack installed).

    > Maybe you should R&R the WMP, remove wmp11 and
    > replace/reinstallll
    > wmp11.

    Ah, but it's the removal of WMP 11 that I'm having a problem
    with. I did a search before posting my question and there's
    plenty of complaints about WMP 11's refusal to display subtitles,
    though they were mostly with Vista.
    pimpom, Sep 27, 2009
  8. pimpom

    Mike Easter Guest

    You earlier said:

    pimpom wrote:
    > I want to remove WMP 11

    > When I open the "Add/Remove Windows Components" box,
    > some of the installed items are ticked (like WMP 11)

    I recommend that you untick wmp11 and click Next.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 27, 2009
  9. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > pimpom wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Maybe you should R&R the WMP, remove wmp11 and
    >>> replace/reinstallll
    >>> wmp11.

    >> Ah, but it's the removal of WMP 11 that I'm having a problem
    >> with.

    > You earlier said:
    >
    > pimpom wrote:
    >> I want to remove WMP 11

    >> When I open the "Add/Remove Windows Components" box,
    >> some of the installed items are ticked (like WMP 11)

    > I recommend that you untick wmp11 and click Next.

    Sorry, I probably should have been more careful with how I put
    that. It's not that I actually have a problem removing WMP 11.
    The question is whether I should tick OE, IE, etc or leave them
    unticked. Common sense indicates that I should tick the ones I
    want to keep and untick those I want to remove. All of this could
    have been avoided if I'd made a note of what I ticked or unticked
    last week.

    I have a spare HDD on which I have a bare Windows installation
    with a Ghost backup in a separate partition. I use it to do a
    quick hardware check, test new progs, check files from uncertain
    sources, etc. Maybe I should temporarily replace my normal HDD
    with the spare one and experiment with the add/remove routine
    again.
    pimpom, Sep 27, 2009
  10. pimpom

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <h9ogrk$m8i$>, pimpom <>
    writes
    >Mike Easter wrote:
    >> pimpom wrote:

    >>> Ah, but it's the removal of WMP 11 that I'm having a problem
    >>> with.

    >> You earlier said:
    >>
    >> pimpom wrote:
    >>> I want to remove WMP 11

    >>> When I open the "Add/Remove Windows Components" box,
    >>> some of the installed items are ticked (like WMP 11)

    >> I recommend that you untick wmp11 and click Next.

    >Sorry, I probably should have been more careful with how I put
    >that. It's not that I actually have a problem removing WMP 11.
    >The question is whether I should tick OE, IE, etc or leave them
    >unticked. Common sense indicates that I should tick the ones I
    >want to keep and untick those I want to remove. All of this could
    >have been avoided if I'd made a note of what I ticked or unticked
    >last week.
    >
    >I have a spare HDD on which I have a bare Windows installation
    >with a Ghost backup in a separate partition. I use it to do a
    >quick hardware check, test new progs, check files from uncertain
    >sources, etc. Maybe I should temporarily replace my normal HDD
    >with the spare one and experiment with the add/remove routine
    >again.

    I don't know about using "Add/Remove Windows Components", but on my
    machine, it would appear that in "Add or Remove Programs", you should be
    able to uninstall WMP 11 in the 'usual' way, from the list of "Currently
    Installed Programs". It's near the bottom, next to Windows Media Format
    11 Runtime. I'm guessing that you would want to remove that too.
    --
    Ian
    Ian Jackson, Sep 27, 2009
  11. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Ian Jackson wrote:
    > In message <h9ogrk$m8i$>, pimpom
    > <> writes
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> You earlier said:

    >>> I recommend that you untick wmp11 and click Next.

    >> Sorry, I probably should have been more careful with how I put
    >> that. It's not that I actually have a problem removing WMP 11.
    >> The question is whether I should tick OE, IE, etc or leave
    >> them
    >> unticked. Common sense indicates that I should tick the ones I
    >> want to keep and untick those I want to remove. All of this
    >> could
    >> have been avoided if I'd made a note of what I ticked or
    >> unticked
    >> last week.
    >>
    >> I have a spare HDD on which I have a bare Windows installation
    >> with a Ghost backup in a separate partition. I use it to do a
    >> quick hardware check, test new progs, check files from
    >> uncertain
    >> sources, etc. Maybe I should temporarily replace my normal HDD
    >> with the spare one and experiment with the add/remove routine
    >> again.
    >>

    > I don't know about using "Add/Remove Windows Components", but
    > on my
    > machine, it would appear that in "Add or Remove Programs", you
    > should
    > be able to uninstall WMP 11 in the 'usual' way, from the list
    > of
    > "Currently Installed Programs". It's near the bottom, next to
    > Windows
    > Media Format 11 Runtime. I'm guessing that you would want to
    > remove
    > that too.

    Neither of those items is on my "Add or Remove Programs" list.
    It's probably because I installed Windows from a streamlined CD
    with SP3, IE8 and WMP 11.
    pimpom, Sep 27, 2009
  12. pimpom

    Mike Easter Guest

    pimpom wrote:

    >>> Sorry, I probably should have been more careful with how I put
    >>> that.

    No. My recommendations are exactly the same in spite of the fact that
    you are trying to confuse yourself with additional
    nonapplicable/extraneous information.

    > It's probably because I installed Windows from a streamlined CD
    > with SP3, IE8 and WMP 11.

    Probably.

    Keep it simple. Don't confuse yourself about anything other than WMP
    since that is the target and it appears 'as expected'.

    Untick it. Click next. See what happens.

    Don't try to 'analyze'/understand whatever else you might see ticked or
    unticked in that section at this time.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 28, 2009
  13. pimpom

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <h9ondf$e6l$>, pimpom <>
    writes
    >Ian Jackson wrote:
    >>

    >> I don't know about using "Add/Remove Windows Components", but
    >> on my
    >> machine, it would appear that in "Add or Remove Programs", you
    >> should
    >> be able to uninstall WMP 11 in the 'usual' way, from the list
    >> of
    >> "Currently Installed Programs". It's near the bottom, next to
    >> Windows
    >> Media Format 11 Runtime. I'm guessing that you would want to
    >> remove
    >> that too.

    >Neither of those items is on my "Add or Remove Programs" list.
    >It's probably because I installed Windows from a streamlined CD
    >with SP3, IE8 and WMP 11.

    Can you get to it via CCleaner ('Tools', 'Uninstall')?
    --
    Ian
    Ian Jackson, Sep 28, 2009
  14. pimpom

    Bob Myran Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > Just highlight the *pig* with a left click then left click on remove.
    > The trick is to install v10 after removing v11 without rebooting the
    > snatch of a computer.
    >
    > pimpom wrote:
    >
    >> I want to remove WMP 11 and install v10 in my Win XP SP3, but
    >> it's been years since I tried adding or removing Windows
    >> components. When I open the "Add/Remove Windows Components" box,
    >> some of the installed items are ticked (like WMP 11) while some
    >> are not (like IE8, OE. etc.).
    >>
    >> I don't remember exactly what I did when I made a hurried attempt
    >> to remove WMP 11 last week, but it resulted in not being able to
    >> load Explorer.exe and I had to re-install Windows. I don't want
    >> to risk having to go through that again, so can anyone please
    >> tell me what to do? Basically, what I want to know is whether I
    >> have to tick all the items I want to have installed even if they
    >> are already installed.

    > --
    > The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG
    >
    > Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city
    >
    > Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know
    > proper manners
    >
    > Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs,
    >
    > Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!
    >
    > El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar
    >
    > Master Juba was a black man imitating a white man imitating a black man
    >
    > Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions
    > beyond the realm of understandability
    >
    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    I had and same problem and followed your advice and everything now is
    working perfectly. Thanks Tony.
    Bob Myran, Sep 28, 2009