Add/Remove Program Glitch: Asks If I Want To To Remove Wrong Program ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Running W98 and Netscape.

    Here's an interesting one:

    Started to install Norton SystemWorks Professional 2004.
    Right at the beginning, it says that it detected an older version that must
    be removed, first,
    by the Add/Remove program.

    No problem.
    I went to the Add/Remove in the Control panel, scrolled down the list, and
    there is
    listed my older version of Norton SystemWorks.

    But, when I click on it to highlight it, it asks "are you sure you want to
    remove Netscape 7.x ?"

    Huh ?
    I want to remove the old SystemWorks, but it keeps asking me if I want to
    remove my Netscape ?

    What might be going on here?

    I sure don't want to remove Netscape, and have to reinstall it, if this is
    really going to happen.
    Netscape is also listed, as is to be expected, in the Add/Remove listing,
    but I am definitely not
    clicking on it to remove it.

    Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit)
    to the following key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    Locate the entry for SystemWorks and note
    the value of "UninstallString". What does it
    say?

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:19:49 -0400, in
    <>
    Robert11 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    To Mike: Re: Add/Remove Program Glitch: Asks If I Want To To Remove Wrong Program ?

    Hi Mike:

    As always, much thanks for help.

    The Uninstall String says: C:\ WINDOWS \ NSUNINST.exe

    Bob

    -----------------------

    Robert11, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: To Mike: Re: Add/Remove Program Glitch: Asks If I Want To To Remove Wrong Program ?

    It appears that Norton System Works and
    Netscape have the same name for their
    uninstaller file.

    Using the Norton SystemWorks™ cleanup utility (SYMClean)
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001101612274407
    To run SYMClean
    Click Yes to proceed. If you see the message
    Do you want to completely remove Netscape (7.0) and
    all its components?", answer No. Netscape 7.0 and older
    NSW versions both use the file NSuninst.exe. Removing
    that file may prevent Netscape from functioning correctly.

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:58:11 -0400, in
    <>
    Robert11 scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Re: To Mike: Re: Add/Remove Program Glitch: Asks If I Want To To Remove Wrong Program ?

    Hi again:

    Seems to have worked !

    Much thanks; would never, ever, have found the Symantic link
    to their Uninstaller, SYMClean.

    Worked in the "Manual" mode.

    Bob
    -------------------------

    Robert11, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: To Mike: Re: Add/Remove Program Glitch: Asks If I Want To To Remove Wrong Program ?

    You're welcome.

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:23:47 -0400, in
    <>
    Robert11 scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 2, 2004
  7. Robert11

    nota chance Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Running W98 and Netscape.
    >
    > Here's an interesting one:
    >
    > Started to install Norton SystemWorks Professional 2004.
    > Right at the beginning, it says that it detected an older version that must
    > be removed, first,
    > by the Add/Remove program.
    >
    > No problem.
    > I went to the Add/Remove in the Control panel, scrolled down the list, and
    > there is
    > listed my older version of Norton SystemWorks.
    >
    > But, when I click on it to highlight it, it asks "are you sure you want to
    > remove Netscape 7.x ?"
    >
    > Huh ?
    > I want to remove the old SystemWorks, but it keeps asking me if I want to
    > remove my Netscape ?
    >
    > What might be going on here?
    >
    > I sure don't want to remove Netscape, and have to reinstall it, if this is
    > really going to happen.
    > Netscape is also listed, as is to be expected, in the Add/Remove listing,
    > but I am definitely not
    > clicking on it to remove it.
    >
    > Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Wow makes me glad I never bought the silly norton 2004 package I have
    heard nothing good so far about it more bugs. I pal got the norton
    anti-virus 2004 and couldn't even get the auto registration to work to
    reg the thing off the net.

    What happening at norton as of late. I wonder if norton is ttring to
    bundle a newer ie or netscape browser or teh program has a flaw in it.
    This is a weird re-ocuring thing as of late with other friends as well.

    nota chance, Aug 2, 2004