    screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
    there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

    Mike
    Mike, Sep 29, 2007

  2. Mike

    John Holmes Guest

    Mike "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    > impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
    > screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is

    out
    > there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?
    >
    > Mike

    Start>run
    type "magnify"
    hit "enter"
    In magnifier, hit escape to enter the configuration menu.

    --
    Your mother was a cigar-smoking taxi-driver who drank heavily under the
    influence of alcohol.
    John Holmes, Sep 29, 2007

  3. Mike

    meerkat Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    > impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the
    > LCD screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What
    > else is out there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

    Hi Mike
    Something like a Screen magnifier ?
    One example here.
    http://www.ic-online.co.uk/it050002.htm

    or here..
    http://www.xpscreenreader.com/index.php?tab=o&cPath=254
    meerkat, Sep 29, 2007
  4. Mike

    Alfred Guest

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:24:04 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    >impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
    >screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
    >there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?
    >
    >Mike

    These are available.
    I set one up for a blind lady a couple of years ago. Unfortunately
    cannot recall which one.

    http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/browse.asp?n=11&c=8&sc=42&it=1&l=3

    http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/browse.asp?n=11&c=8&sc=46&it=1&l=3
    Alfred, Sep 29, 2007
  5. Mike

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:24:04 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    >impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
    >screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
    >there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

    Why download anything?

    Windows has it built in.

    Press Windows button + U
    Evan Platt, Sep 29, 2007
  6. Mike

    Alfred Guest

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:18:18 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:24:04 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >
    >>An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    >>impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
    >>screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
    >>there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

    >Why download anything?

    Because the built in utility is not suitable for everyone

    Alfred, Sep 29, 2007
  7. Mike

    chuckcar Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in news:8etLi.69$Gk2.2@trndny04:

    > An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    > impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
    > screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is
    > out there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?
    >
    > Mike

    There are a *whole* bunch of things dedicated to just this such a thing
    in accessability options under add/remove programs. The magnifier is
    one, there is a mouse cursor "highlighter" so you can find it easier and
    so on.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 29, 2007
  8. Mike

    Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote:

    >An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    >impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
    >screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
    >there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

    I thought a magnifying glass (pane) would work, found one.

    goto www.froogle.com enter:
    screen magnifier

    --

    The Greatest Prank Call Ever - Well, pretty decent...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI&eurl=
  9. On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:24:04 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    > An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    > impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
    > screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
    > there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

    You've gotten a couple of replies about magnification. He might also
    want to look into software that reads the text out loud to speakers or
    earphones.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
    Ken Blake, MVP, Sep 29, 2007
  10. Mike

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:36:21 -0700, Pennywise wrote:

    > The Greatest Prank Call Ever - Well, pretty decent...
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI&eurl=

    Enjoyed the hell out of that one, mate. My 14-year old lad was in pleats
    of laughter.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :)
    Aardvark, Sep 29, 2007
  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:24:04 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >
    >>An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    >>impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
    >>screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
    >>there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

    > Why download anything?
    >
    > Windows has it built in.
    >
    > Press Windows button + U

    Thanks, that's very helpful.
    Mike, Sep 30, 2007
  12. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message

    > There are a *whole* bunch of things dedicated to just this such a thing
    > in accessability options under add/remove programs. The magnifier is
    > one, there is a mouse cursor "highlighter" so you can find it easier and
    > so on.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    You're right lots of option there.
    Mike, Sep 30, 2007
  13. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Ken Blake, MVP" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:24:04 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >
    >> An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    >> impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
    >> screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
    >> there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

    > You've gotten a couple of replies about magnification. He might also
    > want to look into software that reads the text out loud to speakers or
    > earphones.

    Yes, well get naturally speaking pro and as another poster suggested turn on
    audio in accessibility options.
    Mike, Sep 30, 2007
  14. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > Mike "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
    >> impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
    >> screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is

    > out
    >> there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    > Start>run
    > type "magnify"
    > hit "enter"
    > In magnifier, hit escape to enter the configuration menu.

    OK, we'll check it out

    Mike, Sep 30, 2007
  15. Mike

    chuckcar Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in news:EtBLi.429$PV1.425@trndny08:

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message

    >> There are a *whole* bunch of things dedicated to just this such a
    >> thing in accessability options under add/remove programs. The
    >> magnifier is one, there is a mouse cursor "highlighter" so you can
    >> find it easier and so on.

    > You're right lots of option there.

    Best to have that person (or sit with them) when installing the above as
    it asks a lot of questions and requires some thought.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 30, 2007
  16. Mike

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Sep 30, 2007
  17. Mike

    Guest

    , Sep 30, 2007
  18. Mike

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:10:30 -0700, wrote:

    >And a nod to http://bambulance.ytmnd.com/
    >NSFW (Language)

    Ahhh yes. Joe and the Mothafuckin deer.

    The story I heard which I can't recall the link for now is that "Joe"
    was actually the technician who upgraded the 911 system, and was
    basically 'testing' the 911 system.

    Still hysterical.

    Boo got shot!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaDUHvEIXJY