    I added a search engine I don't want in the nifty firefox feature for
    the pulldown search engines. Can't seem to find a way to remove the
    one I accidentally added.... any help out there? Thanks in advance

    Jude Barnes, Aug 13, 2004

  2. On 8/13/2004 9:44 PM, Jude Barnes said:

    > I added a search engine I don't want in the nifty firefox feature for
    > the pulldown search engines. Can't seem to find a way to remove the
    > one I accidentally added.... any help out there? Thanks in advance

    In the program install folder, look for a subfolder called
    'searchplugins'. There's a plugin and a gif logo for each engine stored
    there. Delete the ones you don't want.

    cheers,

    David H

    David Harrison, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Jude Barnes

    Quivis Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I added a search engine I don't want in the nifty firefox feature for
    > the pulldown search engines. Can't seem to find a way to remove the
    > one I accidentally added.... any help out there? Thanks in advance

    Look under:
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins
    (or wherever you put it)

    Delete both the *.src and *.gif (or *.png) file, with the search
    engine's name. They come in pairs.

    Restart Firefox.

    HTH

    Q.

    Quivis, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Jude Barnes

    Jude Barnes Guest

    David, thanks a BUNCH! This opened up a new problem, however. Let me
    explain: We are actually trying to move our entire corporate office
    from IE to Mozilla slowly. We wanted to try to network Mozilla so we
    could have all employees simply launch the application from a
    networked drive, which would allow us to deploy without installing on
    each workstation. I noticed in our environment the "searchengines"
    folder you mentioned was out on this network drive and sure enough,
    the one I wanted to remove was there. I also realized that all staff
    were getting the ones I was adding! Is there any way to keep just
    this folder local (like those settings in the profiles folder of
    mozilla, application data?) So that each nertworked user can have
    their own search engines?

    Jude Barnes, Aug 19, 2004
  5. On 8/19/2004 10:06 PM, Jude Barnes said:

    > David, thanks a BUNCH! This opened up a new problem, however. Let me
    > explain: We are actually trying to move our entire corporate office
    > from IE to Mozilla slowly. We wanted to try to network Mozilla so we
    > could have all employees simply launch the application from a
    > networked drive, which would allow us to deploy without installing on
    > each workstation. I noticed in our environment the "searchengines"
    > folder you mentioned was out on this network drive and sure enough,
    > the one I wanted to remove was there. I also realized that all staff
    > were getting the ones I was adding! Is there any way to keep just
    > this folder local (like those settings in the profiles folder of
    > mozilla, application data?) So that each nertworked user can have
    > their own search engines?

    Jeez. Um, not sure. You might want to check 'prefs.js' etc in your
    profile folder. Just found a line that reads like this:

    user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine",

    There's a path there. Whether or not an edit to the path will have any
    effect, who knows? But back up your prefs file first!

    I'm sure someone else here could tell you more with less guesswork...

    Another thought: what about adding search engines and tweaking the user
    privileges to the files? Might that work?

    cheers,

    David

    David Harrison, Aug 20, 2004