    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    a conservation non-profit (501 (c)(3)) organization
    Wood River, NE

    Mike in Nebraska, Feb 5, 2009

  2. Mike in Nebraska

    Dave Guest

    "Mike in Nebraska" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've got a spare HP LaserJet 4P with a JetDirect print server. I was
    > going to try selling them, but had a thought that maybe I could hang them
    > off of an Access Point on our Guest WLAN so they could print to it. We
    > host several meetings and conferences per year and this would fill a need.
    > Never tried it, or thought of it. Just asking if it's reasonably do-able.

    i say, plug it in and try it, sounds like it should work.

    Dave, Feb 5, 2009

  3. Thanks.

    Mike in Nebraska, Feb 5, 2009
  4. Hi
    It depends on how you Guest's WLAN is configured.
    If you just plug the printer into an Access Point that is set to a regular
    infra structure mode, the guests would need a separate logon to the Access
    Point's SSID in order to print.
    If the Access Point is configured as a Wireless Client, then the printer
    through the Access Point can be connected to the guest general Wireless
    service and they could print while logged to the same SSID. That said, the
    guest also need the HP drivers on their computers as well.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 6, 2009
  5. Mike in Nebraska <> wrote:
    > I've got a spare HP LaserJet 4P with a JetDirect print server. I was
    > going to try selling them, but had a thought that maybe I could hang
    > them off of an Access Point on our Guest WLAN so they could print to
    > it. We host several meetings and conferences per year and this would
    > fill a need. Never tried it, or thought of it. Just asking if it's
    > reasonably do-able.
    > TIA,

    If the guest network is truly wireless only, you'd need a wireless print
    server for this. There are many third party ones, but I've had problems with
    the ones I've tried (Netgear and others I can't recall). They're
    inexpensive, though, so it may be worth a shot. If you have a natively
    wireless-capable printer, you would be better off.

    Regardless, as Jack mentioned, the users would need to install the drivers
    for it on their workstations.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Feb 6, 2009
  6. Dave <> wrote:
    > "Mike in Nebraska" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> I've got a spare HP LaserJet 4P with a JetDirect print server. I was
    >> going to try selling them, but had a thought that maybe I could hang
    >> them off of an Access Point on our Guest WLAN so they could print to
    >> it. We host several meetings and conferences per year and this
    >> would fill a need. Never tried it, or thought of it. Just asking if
    >> it's reasonably do-able.

    > i say, plug it in and try it, sounds like it should work.

    Plug it in to what?

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Feb 6, 2009
  7. All good points, thanks.

    Mike in Nebraska, Feb 6, 2009