Adblock?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by iamu@me.com, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Someone suggested Adblock for FF1.5....fine but how do I allow websites
    using this program?? I notice a small label on the bottom right corner of
    the browser "adblock" but I can't see anywhere to allow this site??
    *sigh*

    Thanks
    , Jan 6, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Would it perhaps achieve your ad-blocking goals to install and run a HOSTS
    file?
    You can learn the details of this and download a very nice HOSTS file at URL
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm


    <> wrote in message news:wDBvf.258563$ki.184492@pd7tw2no...
    > Someone suggested Adblock for FF1.5....fine but how do I allow websites
    > using this program?? I notice a small label on the bottom right corner of
    > the browser "adblock" but I can't see anywhere to allow this site??
    > *sigh*
    >
    > Thanks
    Howard Leighty, Jan 7, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Howard Leighty wrote:
    > Would it perhaps achieve your ad-blocking goals to install and run a HOSTS
    > file?
    > You can learn the details of this and download a very nice HOSTS file at URL
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >
    >
    > <> wrote in message news:wDBvf.258563$ki.184492@pd7tw2no...
    >> Someone suggested Adblock for FF1.5....fine but how do I allow websites
    >> using this program?? I notice a small label on the bottom right corner of
    >> the browser "adblock" but I can't see anywhere to allow this site??
    >> *sigh*
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >
    >


    I concur, a good hosts file generally makes AdBlock unnecessary.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 7, 2006
    #3
  4. Guest

    Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical people. I
    started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.
    , Jan 7, 2006
    #4
  5. wrote:
    > Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical people. I
    > started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.


    There are many prewritten hosts files available. Mine is a copy of the
    one available here:

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts

    And the one the is added by Sbybot Search and Destroy:

    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    I find it very effective.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 7, 2006
    #5
  6. Stubby Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical
    >> people. I
    >> started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.

    >
    >
    > There are many prewritten hosts files available. Mine is a copy of the
    > one available here:
    >
    > http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts
    >
    > And the one the is added by Sbybot Search and Destroy:
    >
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >
    > I find it very effective.
    >
    > Lee
    >
    >
    >

    I run SpyBot regularly and never new it installed a hosts file. Good
    news: You're right it did. Bad news: the content is just a place holder.

    So, users should download the file mentioned above and put it in
    (on Win2K) C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
    Stubby, Jan 7, 2006
    #6
  7. Using a HOSTS file is not at all too technical, even
    for relative novice users. Maybe I can simplify it for you.

    Let's suppose that you are running some flavor of
    Windows XP or Windows 2000. There will already
    be a specimen HOSTS file that comes with the
    operating system. You can find it at this location:

    (for Windows 2000)
    C:\WINNT\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    (just like that; there is no file extension)

    (for Windows XP)
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    (just like that; there is no file extension)

    The best way to view or edit a HOSTS file is to use
    NOTEPAD.

    The original specimen HOSTS file contains only one
    active entry. That entry is "127.0.0.1 localhost."
    (omit the " " characters) This line must be present in
    any HOSTS file in order for the file to work properly.

    All other lines in the original specimen file are
    comments. All comments in the HOSTS file begin
    with the # character followed by a SPACE character
    and then followed by whatever other content is intended
    for the comment.

    {{Sidebar trivia issue: -- most people know that:
    The * character is called "asterisk" and
    The & character is called "ampersand".
    But few people know the name of the # character.
    The # character is called "octothorpe"
    You can verify the word by a Google search}}

    All that is required to install a really good HOSTS file is
    to use any one of the ones already mentioned, or a
    merge of all three, and simply replace the original
    specimen HOSTS file with whichever one of the other
    HOSTS files you like best or a merged version.

    The one I use and like the best is found at
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Here is how a HOSTS file works:
    The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to
    certain host names. The HOSTS file is loaded into memory
    at startup. Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries
    any DNS servers.This enables it to override DNS addresses.

    If the IP address specified for a hostname in the HOSTS file is
    127.0.0.1 (the universal IP address for the loopback adapter
    on the local machine) then this prevents access to the listed
    sites by redirecting any connection attempts into the loopback
    adapter on the local machine.

    In other words, the connection attempt fails and to the user it
    seems that any content associated with that connection simply
    disappears into the bit bucket and does not appear in the
    browser. You will identify that this has occurred because
    the redirected content on a web page will result in a
    message saying "Action Cancelled" in Internet Explorer 6.0
    or it might say "Unable To Connect" in Mozilla Firefox 1.5.

    Such messages are normal and indicate that your HOSTS
    file is doing its job of suppressing known sources of ads
    and other unwanted content. You can use a HOSTS file to
    block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page
    counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers.

    However, a HOSTS file cannot stop all on-screen ads.
    There are other technologies such as Javascript and
    Macromedia Flash, among others, that still allow ads
    to appear in the browser.

    OK, I admit that this next part is a little bit technical and
    requires some knowledge of using the DOS command
    window and DOS commands.

    Once you have chosen and installed a HOSTS file, it is
    generally a good idea to open a DOS command window
    in the local folder where the HOSTS file resides and use
    the DOS command

    ATTRIB +R +A +S +H HOSTS

    This will set the Read-Only, System, & Hidden file attributes.
    Doing this prevents any tampering with the HOSTS file by
    preventing any foreign scripts from deleting or renaming
    the HOSTS file in order to kill it. In some cases, setting
    these file attributes will make the HOSTS file invisible to
    the user, but it is still there nonetheless and fully functional.

    If you want to later view or edit the HOSTS file, you will want
    to open a DOS window in the folder where you know the
    HOSTS file exists and use the DOS command

    ATTRIB -R -A -S -H HOSTS

    This will unset those file attributes and allow you to view and
    edit (and save the changes) the HOSTS file to either comment
    out certain sites that are blocked that you really do want to see
    (e.g. some eBay sites) or to add other sites you find obnoxious
    that are not already listed in the HOSTS file.

    Once the editing is done, you should again use the ATTRIB
    command as described above to set all the attributes again
    to protect the HOSTS file from any unwanted tampering.

    Usually you can close the DOS command window by one of
    two ways:
    (1) Type EXIT and press ENTER, (always works) or
    (2) Click on the X button in the upper right part of the Title Bar.

    I hope this information proves to be helpful.


    <> wrote in message news:ZFHvf.146944$2k.6643@pd7tw1no...
    > Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical people.

    I
    > started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.
    Howard Leighty, Jan 7, 2006
    #7
  8. Guest

    Wow, thanks for a full explanation. I mostly understood the first part.
    When it got to DOS I remain a bit confused. :)

    I will check it out in my winxp OS. See whats under the hosts files.

    Can I f*&^^%% up anything by trying to use hosts files?? whats the worse
    that can happen hahaha.

    thanks
    , Jan 7, 2006
    #8
  9. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:
    > Wow, thanks for a full explanation. I mostly understood the first part.
    > When it got to DOS I remain a bit confused. :)
    >
    > I will check it out in my winxp OS. See whats under the hosts files.
    >
    > Can I f*&^^%% up anything by trying to use hosts files?? whats the worse
    > that can happen hahaha.
    >
    > thanks


    You won't cause any permanent problem. The worst thing might be that
    you somehow "break" the hosts file and your net access is impaired. To
    fix it you just delete (or rename) the HOSTS file and reboot.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 7, 2006
    #9
  10. Stubby wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical
    >>> people. I
    >>> started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.

    >>
    >>
    >> There are many prewritten hosts files available. Mine is a copy of the
    >> one available here:
    >>
    >> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts
    >>
    >> And the one the is added by Sbybot Search and Destroy:
    >>
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >>
    >> I find it very effective.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > I run SpyBot regularly and never new it installed a hosts file. Good
    > news: You're right it did. Bad news: the content is just a place holder.
    >
    > So, users should download the file mentioned above and put it in
    > (on Win2K) C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc


    Just a place holder? I'm not sure what you mean?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 8, 2006
    #10
  11. Stubby Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Stubby wrote:
    >
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical
    >>>> people. I
    >>>> started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> There are many prewritten hosts files available. Mine is a copy of
    >>> the one available here:
    >>>
    >>> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts
    >>>
    >>> And the one the is added by Sbybot Search and Destroy:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >>>
    >>> I find it very effective.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> I run SpyBot regularly and never new it installed a hosts file. Good
    >> news: You're right it did. Bad news: the content is just a place
    >> holder.
    >>
    >> So, users should download the file mentioned above and put it in
    >> (on Win2K) C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc

    >
    >
    > Just a place holder? I'm not sure what you mean?
    >
    > Lee

    It only has one entry, the 127.0.0.1 local machine, line.
    Stubby, Jan 8, 2006
    #11
  12. Jim Scott Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:51:24 GMT, wrote:

    > Someone suggested Adblock for FF1.5....fine but how do I allow websites
    > using this program?? I notice a small label on the bottom right corner of
    > the browser "adblock" but I can't see anywhere to allow this site??
    > *sigh*
    >
    > Thanks


    Personally I find Adblock very poor compared with using the methos
    described here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock.html
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK
    Jim Scott, Jan 8, 2006
    #12
  13. gwtc Guest

    Jim Scott wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:51:24 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Someone suggested Adblock for FF1.5....fine but how do I allow websites
    >>using this program?? I notice a small label on the bottom right corner of
    >>the browser "adblock" but I can't see anywhere to allow this site??
    >>*sigh*
    >>
    >>Thanks

    >
    >
    > Personally I find Adblock very poor compared with using the methos
    > described here:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock.html

    I used to use that but gave up because it was blocking images I wanted
    to see.
    gwtc, Jan 8, 2006
    #13
  14. Jim Scott Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:23:41 -0800, gwtc wrote:

    > Jim Scott wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:51:24 GMT, wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Someone suggested Adblock for FF1.5....fine but how do I allow websites
    >>>using this program?? I notice a small label on the bottom right corner of
    >>>the browser "adblock" but I can't see anywhere to allow this site??
    >>>*sigh*
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >>
    >>
    >> Personally I find Adblock very poor compared with using the methos
    >> described here:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock.html

    > I used to use that but gave up because it was blocking images I wanted
    > to see.


    I found it did that if I used Adblock extension at the same time.
    Disabling, then uninstalling Adblock solved the problem for me.
    I also have Spywareblaster and Spybot.
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK
    Jim Scott, Jan 8, 2006
    #14
  15. Stubby wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Stubby wrote:
    >>
    >>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical
    >>>>> people. I
    >>>>> started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and
    >>>>> run.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> There are many prewritten hosts files available. Mine is a copy of
    >>>> the one available here:
    >>>>
    >>>> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts
    >>>>
    >>>> And the one the is added by Sbybot Search and Destroy:
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >>>>
    >>>> I find it very effective.
    >>>>
    >>>> Lee
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> I run SpyBot regularly and never new it installed a hosts file.
    >>> Good news: You're right it did. Bad news: the content is just a
    >>> place holder.
    >>>
    >>> So, users should download the file mentioned above and put it in
    >>> (on Win2K) C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc

    >>
    >>
    >> Just a place holder? I'm not sure what you mean?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > It only has one entry, the 127.0.0.1 local machine, line.


    Not my experience.

    Set Spybot to Advanced Mode. Then click Tools>>Hosts File.

    Click the Add Spybot S&D hosts list. The list of sites is huge.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 9, 2006
    #15
  16. Stubby Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Stubby wrote:
    >
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> Stubby wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical
    >>>>>> people. I
    >>>>>> started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and
    >>>>>> run.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> There are many prewritten hosts files available. Mine is a copy of
    >>>>> the one available here:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts
    >>>>>
    >>>>> And the one the is added by Sbybot Search and Destroy:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I find it very effective.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Lee
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> I run SpyBot regularly and never new it installed a hosts file.
    >>>> Good news: You're right it did. Bad news: the content is just a
    >>>> place holder.
    >>>>
    >>>> So, users should download the file mentioned above and put it in
    >>>> (on Win2K) C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Just a place holder? I'm not sure what you mean?
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >>
    >> It only has one entry, the 127.0.0.1 local machine, line.

    >
    >
    > Not my experience.
    >
    > Set Spybot to Advanced Mode. Then click Tools>>Hosts File.
    >
    > Click the Add Spybot S&D hosts list. The list of sites is huge.


    Wow! Thanks. I never knew about "Advanced Mode". And I didn't know
    about the Host File option or any other for that matter. I was just
    running it in the default mode -- say "yes" to everything. I'll be
    interested in how the Host File performs. Thanks again, Lee
    Stubby, Jan 9, 2006
    #16
  17. Stubby wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Stubby wrote:
    >>
    >>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Stubby wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical
    >>>>>>> people. I
    >>>>>>> started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up
    >>>>>>> and run.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> There are many prewritten hosts files available. Mine is a copy of
    >>>>>> the one available here:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> And the one the is added by Sbybot Search and Destroy:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I find it very effective.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Lee
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> I run SpyBot regularly and never new it installed a hosts file.
    >>>>> Good news: You're right it did. Bad news: the content is just a
    >>>>> place holder.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> So, users should download the file mentioned above and put it in
    >>>>> (on Win2K) C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Just a place holder? I'm not sure what you mean?
    >>>>
    >>>> Lee
    >>>
    >>> It only has one entry, the 127.0.0.1 local machine, line.

    >>
    >>
    >> Not my experience.
    >>
    >> Set Spybot to Advanced Mode. Then click Tools>>Hosts File.
    >>
    >> Click the Add Spybot S&D hosts list. The list of sites is huge.

    >
    > Wow! Thanks. I never knew about "Advanced Mode". And I didn't know
    > about the Host File option or any other for that matter. I was just
    > running it in the default mode -- say "yes" to everything. I'll be
    > interested in how the Host File performs. Thanks again, Lee


    I am always glad to help out!

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 9, 2006
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ÿøwíë

    adblock keyboard toggle - firebird 0.7

    ÿøwíë, Feb 6, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    449
    ÿøwíë
    Feb 6, 2004
  2. Bats

    Firefox and adblock

    Bats, Jul 3, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    443
    mike555
    Jul 4, 2004
  3. Steve IA

    Can't download Adblock

    Steve IA, Feb 16, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    634
    Steve IA
    Feb 16, 2005
  4. totojepast

    where are the Adblock filters stored?

    totojepast, May 3, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    597
    Hendrik Maryns
    May 3, 2005
  5. History Fan

    Comment on AdBlock Plus and AdBlock

    History Fan, Oct 30, 2006, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    620
Loading...

Share This Page