    complicated. For example, what the heck does "overlay flash" mean?

    Once Adblock is installed, is it necessary to do anything else? Or is
    there some tweaking required?

    History Fan, May 13, 2006

  2. History Fan

    Stubby Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > I'm using FF 1.5.0.3, on a XP Home SP2 computer. I just installed the
    > Adblock extension, one of the most popular for this browser. As its name
    > implies, I assume its designed to block pop-up ads.
    >
    > However, I have found its features and instructions to be somewhat
    > complicated. For example, what the heck does "overlay flash" mean?
    >
    > Once Adblock is installed, is it necessary to do anything else? Or is
    > there some tweaking required?

    I agree, Adblock is one of the more confusing programs around. What I
    found is that many blockable ads have a little transparent flag saying
    "advertisement". If you click on that, adblock produces a list of URLs
    and the one relating to the ad you clicked on will be on the bottom. I
    always shorten the URL so it includes just the site name if possible,
    and the click "Add filter". Note that "filter" means a rejection
    filter, not one that lets selected thing pass.

    Stubby, May 13, 2006

  3. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    "Stubby" <> wrote in message
    > History Fan wrote:
    >> I'm using FF 1.5.0.3, on a XP Home SP2 computer. I just installed
    >> the Adblock extension, one of the most popular for this browser. As its
    >> name implies, I assume its designed to block pop-up ads.
    >>
    >> However, I have found its features and instructions to be somewhat
    >> complicated. For example, what the heck does "overlay flash" mean?
    >>
    >> Once Adblock is installed, is it necessary to do anything else? Or
    >> is there some tweaking required?

    > I agree, Adblock is one of the more confusing programs around. What I
    > found is that many blockable ads have a little transparent flag saying
    > "advertisement". If you click on that, adblock produces a list of URLs
    > and the one relating to the ad you clicked on will be on the bottom. I
    > always shorten the URL so it includes just the site name if possible, and
    > the click "Add filter". Note that "filter" means a rejection filter, not
    > one that lets selected thing pass.

    I went to the Adblock home page, and saw a JPEG image which had a list
    of 7 filters added. I went ahead and copied these. I suppose its a good
    idea. http://adblock.mozdev.org/

    History Fan, May 13, 2006
  4. History Fan

    Flidd Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 11:25:28 -0400, "History Fan"
    <> wrote:

    > I'm using FF 1.5.0.3, on a XP Home SP2 computer. I just installed the
    >Adblock extension, one of the most popular for this browser. As its name
    >implies, I assume its designed to block pop-up ads.
    >
    > However, I have found its features and instructions to be somewhat
    >complicated. For example, what the heck does "overlay flash" mean?
    >
    > Once Adblock is installed, is it necessary to do anything else? Or is
    >there some tweaking required?

    Install a filterset for adblock then forget about it. I use
    filterset.G from here http://www.pierceive.com/
    You can use the adblock filterset.G updater from the same site or the
    mozilla addons site.

    Flidd, May 13, 2006