    news:dpgoi4$ob6$-infra.bt.com...
    > SE1R85 4 Jan 2006

    Thanks Fred.
    old jon, Jan 4, 2006

  2. old jon

    Fred Guest

    SE1R85 4 Jan 2006
    Fred, Jan 4, 2006

  3. old jon

    ggull Guest

    Odd behavior trying to update was: Re: Adaware update available

    "Fred" <> wrote in message
    > SE1R85 4 Jan 2006

    Thanks for the notice. But I get weird behavior trying to update. I do the
    usual, "update now", "connect" and it looks like it starts to download, then
    a popup pops up:

    "The downloaded definition file could not be read. Please update again"

    I hit OK, then it looks normal and says "web update complete", the bar shows
    100%, etc, except the installed definitions file is still
    SE1R82.19.12.2005 -- or is that normal before you hit finish?

    Temporary glitch? or have I been hit by a nasty bug? or?
    ggull, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Re: Odd behavior trying to update was: Re: Adaware update available

    ggull wrote:
    > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>SE1R85 4 Jan 2006

    > Thanks for the notice. But I get weird behavior trying to update. I do the
    > usual, "update now", "connect" and it looks like it starts to download, then
    > a popup pops up:
    >
    > "The downloaded definition file could not be read. Please update again"
    >
    > I hit OK, then it looks normal and says "web update complete", the bar shows
    > 100%, etc, except the installed definitions file is still
    > SE1R82.19.12.2005 -- or is that normal before you hit finish?

    It could be a cache problem, yours or your ISP's.

    You can get your update from the site in the sig if you wish.

    --
    http://www.absey-vine.co.uk/ad-aware/
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Re: Odd behavior trying to update was: Re: Adaware update available

    ggull wrote:

    > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >> SE1R85 4 Jan 2006

    > Thanks for the notice. But I get weird behavior trying to update. I do the
    > usual, "update now", "connect" and it looks like it starts to download, then
    > a popup pops up:
    >
    > "The downloaded definition file could not be read. Please update again"
    >
    > I hit OK, then it looks normal and says "web update complete", the bar shows
    > 100%, etc, except the installed definitions file is still
    > SE1R82.19.12.2005 -- or is that normal before you hit finish?
    >
    > Temporary glitch? or have I been hit by a nasty bug? or?

    Same problem here. They must be having a server problem. I'd suggest
    waiting until later in the day and try again.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 4, 2006
  6. old jon

    FYIS.org Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > ggull wrote:
    >> "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> SE1R85 4 Jan 2006

    >> Thanks for the notice. But I get weird behavior trying to update. I do
    >> the usual, "update now", "connect" and it looks like it starts
    >> to download, then a popup pops up:
    >>
    >> "The downloaded definition file could not be read. Please update
    >> again" I hit OK, then it looks normal and says "web update complete", the
    >> bar shows 100%, etc, except the installed definitions file is still
    >> SE1R82.19.12.2005 -- or is that normal before you hit finish?

    > It could be a cache problem, yours or your ISP's.
    >
    > You can get your update from the site in the sig if you wish.

    Thanx, the http://www.absey-vine.co.uk/ad-aware/ file works fine.

    DanlK, FYI Services Collectibles
    www.FYIS.org
    FYIS.org, Jan 4, 2006
  7. old jon

    Guest

    Re: Odd behavior trying to update was: Re: Adaware update available

    "ggull" <> wrote in

    > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >> SE1R85 4 Jan 2006

    > Thanks for the notice. But I get weird behavior trying to
    > update. I do the usual, "update now", "connect" and it
    > looks like it starts to download, then a popup pops up:
    >
    > "The downloaded definition file could not be read. Please
    > update again"
    >
    > I hit OK, then it looks normal and says "web update
    > complete", the bar shows 100%, etc, except the installed
    > definitions file is still SE1R82.19.12.2005 -- or is that
    > normal before you hit finish?
    >
    > Temporary glitch? or have I been hit by a nasty bug? or?

    If you don't mind unzipping, you can get it here:
    http://download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net/public/defs.zip

    Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom
    , Jan 4, 2006
  8. old jon

    Jos Guest

    Re: Odd behavior trying to update was: Re: Adaware update available

    <> schreef in bericht
    > "ggull" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >>> SE1R85 4 Jan 2006

    >> Thanks for the notice. But I get weird behavior trying to
    >> update. I do the usual, "update now", "connect" and it
    >> looks like it starts to download, then a popup pops up:
    >>
    >> "The downloaded definition file could not be read. Please
    >> update again"
    >>
    >> I hit OK, then it looks normal and says "web update
    >> complete", the bar shows 100%, etc, except the installed
    >> definitions file is still SE1R82.19.12.2005 -- or is that
    >> normal before you hit finish?
    >>
    >> Temporary glitch? or have I been hit by a nasty bug? or?
    >>

    > If you don't mind unzipping, you can get it here:
    > http://download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net/public/defs.zip

    > Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom

    Try it later.
    Jos, Jan 4, 2006
  9. old jon

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > ggull wrote:
    >>"Fred" <> wrote in message
    >>Thanks for the notice. But I get weird behavior trying to update. I do the
    >>usual, "update now", "connect" and it looks like it starts to download, then
    >>a popup pops up:
    >>
    >>"The downloaded definition file could not be read. Please update again"
    >>
    >>I hit OK, then it looks normal and says "web update complete", the bar shows
    >>100%, etc, except the installed definitions file is still
    >>SE1R82.19.12.2005 -- or is that normal before you hit finish?
    >>
    >>Temporary glitch? or have I been hit by a nasty bug? or?

    > Same problem here. They must be having a server problem. I'd suggest
    > waiting until later in the day and try again.

    Must be a Server overload, what with the WMF exploit making everyone
    crazy and all. It took me about a half an hour to get through, and I
    finally got the update:

    defs.ref updated Today, January 4, 2006, 1:47:18 PM

    Ron :)
    Ron Lopshire, Jan 4, 2006
  10. old jon

    Jos Guest

    > "ggull" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >>> SE1R85 4 Jan 2006

    >> Thanks for the notice. But I get weird behavior trying to
    >> update. I do the usual, "update now", "connect" and it
    >> looks like it starts to download, then a popup pops up:
    >>
    >> "The downloaded definition file could not be read. Please
    >> update again"
    >>
    >> I hit OK, then it looks normal and says "web update
    >> complete", the bar shows 100%, etc, except the installed
    >> definitions file is still SE1R82.19.12.2005 -- or is that
    >> normal before you hit finish?
    >>
    >> Temporary glitch? or have I been hit by a nasty bug? or?
    >>

    > If you don't mind unzipping, you can get it here:
    > http://download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net/public/defs.zip

    > Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom

    Thank you, anyway.
    Jos, Jan 4, 2006
  11. old jon

    Allan Higdon Guest

    Re: Odd behavior trying to update was: Re: Adaware update available

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:15:48 -0600, ggull <>
    wrote:

    > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >> SE1R85 4 Jan 2006

    > Thanks for the notice. But I get weird behavior trying to update. I do
    > the
    > usual, "update now", "connect" and it looks like it starts to download,
    > then
    > a popup pops up:
    >
    > "The downloaded definition file could not be read. Please update again"
    >
    > I hit OK, then it looks normal and says "web update complete", the bar
    > shows
    > 100%, etc, except the installed definitions file is still
    > SE1R82.19.12.2005 -- or is that normal before you hit finish?
    >
    > Temporary glitch? or have I been hit by a nasty bug? or?

    I'm having the same problem.
    It's happened to me before, but it usually clears up by the next update.

    Download: http://download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net/public/defs.zip

    Extract it to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal

    --
    "Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
    ~ Flannery O'Connor

    "The moral rot of political correctness runs deep today in both national
    parties."
    ~ Patrick J. Buchanan
    Allan Higdon, Jan 4, 2006
  12. old jon

    ggull Guest

    Re: Odd behavior trying to update was: Re: Adaware update available

    "ggull" <> wrote ...
    > "Fred" <> wrote...
    >> SE1R85 4 Jan 2006

    > Thanks for the notice. But I get weird behavior trying to update. I do
    > the usual, "update now", "connect" and it looks like it starts to
    > download, then a popup pops up:
    >
    > "The downloaded definition file could not be read. Please update again"
    >
    > I hit OK, then it looks normal and says "web update complete", the bar
    > shows 100%, etc, except the installed definitions file is still
    > SE1R82.19.12.2005 -- or is that normal before you hit finish?
    >
    > Temporary glitch? or have I been hit by a nasty bug? or?

    Thanks for all the suggestions (other sites, etc).
    They'll be there in case of future need, but the simplest one worked: "Try
    again tomorrow"

    Just updated transparently, and AdAware is chuggin away looking for nasties.

    (In fairness to myself, I had tried a few times over the space of maybe an
    hour.)
    ggull, Jan 5, 2006