AdAware Questions And Comments

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Have a new PC, and am admittedly new at all of this.
    Running XP.

    Just downloaded AdAware, as suggested by other posts.
    Have the following questions and comments.

    a. Wow. It sure takes a very long time to do a full system scan.
    I have a 3.0 GHz PC, and perhaps about 40 Gigs on the HD, and it took close
    to 1/2 hr. to run.

    I also have Spybot (which was also heavily recommended).
    I realize it checks other "things," but it runs quite fast.
    Certainly reasonable to do a scan very frequently with it.

    So, it looks like doing frequent full system scans with AdAware, at least on
    my PC, really isn't all that practical.

    b. I see they offer for about $26 a product called Ad-Aware SE Plus edition
    which supposedly monitors nasties trying to get into your system in
    "REAL TIME".

    Does this eliminate (totally) the need to do the full system scan bit ?

    Any thoughts on whether it is worth buying, etc. ?

    c. I seem to remember an older post where someone said something about
    turning off, or perhaps it was disregarding, any Spybot references AdAware
    found.
    Can't seem to find the old post.

    Anyone know what this was about ? (it didn't come up with any when I did my
    scan, though)

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Plato Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > I also have Spybot (which was also heavily recommended).
    > I realize it checks other "things," but it runs quite fast.
    > Certainly reasonable to do a scan very frequently with it.
    >
    > So, it looks like doing frequent full system scans with AdAware, at least on
    > my PC, really isn't all that practical.

    Sure it's practical. You dont have to sit there while it runs, you can
    set it before you go out on an errend or eat dinner.

    Your best bet is to avoid installing the spyware in the first place. I
    run either of the above on my pc perhaps every 2 months at most and it
    only finds half a dozen items, and usually several of the entries it
    finds are related to the others.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Have a new PC, and am admittedly new at all of this.
    > Running XP.
    >
    > Just downloaded AdAware, as suggested by other posts.
    > Have the following questions and comments.
    >
    > a. Wow. It sure takes a very long time to do a full system scan.
    > I have a 3.0 GHz PC, and perhaps about 40 Gigs on the HD, and it took close
    > to 1/2 hr. to run.
    >
    > I also have Spybot (which was also heavily recommended).
    > I realize it checks other "things," but it runs quite fast.
    > Certainly reasonable to do a scan very frequently with it.
    >
    > So, it looks like doing frequent full system scans with AdAware, at least on
    > my PC, really isn't all that practical.
    >
    > b. I see they offer for about $26 a product called Ad-Aware SE Plus edition
    > which supposedly monitors nasties trying to get into your system in
    > "REAL TIME".
    >
    > Does this eliminate (totally) the need to do the full system scan bit ?
    >
    > Any thoughts on whether it is worth buying, etc. ?
    >
    > c. I seem to remember an older post where someone said something about
    > turning off, or perhaps it was disregarding, any Spybot references AdAware
    > found.
    > Can't seem to find the old post.
    >
    > Anyone know what this was about ? (it didn't come up with any when I did my
    > scan, though)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Now that you have completed a full scan, just run it using "Perform
    smart system scan"

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Robert11

    lmbevard Guest

    AdAware SE (there is a free version) runs faster that the older version, and
    as Plato wrote, you don't have to do it every day and you don't have to
    watch, but I always do. I run both Spybot and AdAware about every week or so
    just to keep things clean.

    As far as buying the $26 version, I haven't, but as I understand it, some of
    the things it does for you, Spybot, if you have enabled Teatime, does for
    free.

    Larry

    lmbevard, Dec 5, 2004