    wireless networking gear. Is there no form of regulation or licensing
    for this type of equipment as would normally be the case for the
    radiofrequency spectrums in NZ?
    Rob J, Jan 14, 2006

  2. Rob J

    d Guest

    In article <>,
    am says...
    > Can anyone tell me how well known the brand "Adaptive Broadband" is in
    > New Zealand.
    >
    > This appears to be a brand of equipment supplied by Woosh Wireless or
    > their predecessor Walker Wireless, but apparently quite unknown in other
    > contexts.
    >
    > Also can someone advise me what the legal situation is for installing
    > wireless networking gear. Is there no form of regulation or licensing
    > for this type of equipment as would normally be the case for the
    > radiofrequency spectrums in NZ?

    There is regulation for all equipment using the spectrum of course.

    I believe that the woosh gear, operates on their own commercial slice of
    spectrum. So it's unlikely to talk to any off the shelf gear you may
    already have, and as they rent the frequencies that their equipment is
    running on, you'd have no legal right to use them.

    Here's some more information of the off the shelf rules...

    http://www.rsm.govt.nz/licensing/frl/information.html

    http://www.rsm.govt.nz/licensing/wlan.html

    http://www.rsm.govt.nz/planning/srd/discussion/discussion-05.html

    D.
    d, Jan 15, 2006

  3. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > am says...
    > > Can anyone tell me how well known the brand "Adaptive Broadband" is in
    > > New Zealand.
    > >
    > > This appears to be a brand of equipment supplied by Woosh Wireless or
    > > their predecessor Walker Wireless, but apparently quite unknown in other
    > > contexts.
    > >
    > > Also can someone advise me what the legal situation is for installing
    > > wireless networking gear. Is there no form of regulation or licensing
    > > for this type of equipment as would normally be the case for the
    > > radiofrequency spectrums in NZ?

    > There is regulation for all equipment using the spectrum of course.
    >
    > I believe that the woosh gear, operates on their own commercial slice of
    > spectrum. So it's unlikely to talk to any off the shelf gear you may
    > already have, and as they rent the frequencies that their equipment is
    > running on, you'd have no legal right to use them.

    This is not connected to Woosh's network, it's a private point to point
    installation between two sites.
    Rob J, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Rob J

    d Guest

    In article <>,
    am says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > In article <>,
    > > am says...
    > > >
    > > > Also can someone advise me what the legal situation is for installing
    > > > wireless networking gear.

    > This is not connected to Woosh's network, it's a private point to point
    > installation between two sites.

    I'm afraid it makes no difference if it's transmitting on a slice of
    spectrum they rent from the government.

    Hey, you DID ask, remember?

    D.
    d, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > am says...
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > am says...

    > > This is not connected to Woosh's network, it's a private point to point
    > > installation between two sites.

    > I'm afraid it makes no difference if it's transmitting on a slice of
    > spectrum they rent from the government.
    >
    > Hey, you DID ask, remember?

    How do we find out?
    Rob J, Jan 16, 2006
  6. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > am says...
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > am says...

    > > This is not connected to Woosh's network, it's a private point to point
    > > installation between two sites.

    > I'm afraid it makes no difference if it's transmitting on a slice of
    > spectrum they rent from the government.

    And they sublease that to any third party ad infinitum without any
    ongoing charges forever, do they?
    Rob J, Jan 16, 2006
  7. "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > In article <>,
    > > am says...
    > > > In article <>,

    > > > says...

    installing

    > > > This is not connected to Woosh's network, it's a private point to

    point
    > > > installation between two sites.

    > > I'm afraid it makes no difference if it's transmitting on a slice of
    > > spectrum they rent from the government.

    > And they sublease that to any third party ad infinitum without any
    > ongoing charges forever, do they?

    From the few bits of these posts I've read, unless you're operating with in
    a general user radio license ie: that covers 4000mW on 2.4GHz for wireless
    entworking or 5.8GHz, any radio transmission needs to be licesned. Any
    interference to license holders of spectrum comes with some nice legal
    action. Contact the ministry of economic development's radio spectrum
    management division if you want answers as to what is legal and what is not
    in the terms of operating anything to do with emitting electromagnetic
    radiation. Here's a url ro GURL's (general user radio license's) that
    contains which frequencies may be used free or charge providing you stay
    with in the technical guidelines set out by these license details fo
    different devices.

    Gavin
    Gavin Stephens, Jan 17, 2006
  8. "Gavin Stephens" <> wrote in message

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > am says...

    > installing

    > point
    > > >

    > > > I'm afraid it makes no difference if it's transmitting on a slice of
    > > > spectrum they rent from the government.

    > > And they sublease that to any third party ad infinitum without any
    > > ongoing charges forever, do they?

    > From the few bits of these posts I've read, unless you're operating with

    in
    > a general user radio license ie: that covers 4000mW on 2.4GHz for wireless
    > entworking or 5.8GHz, any radio transmission needs to be licesned. Any
    > interference to license holders of spectrum comes with some nice legal
    > action. Contact the ministry of economic development's radio spectrum
    > management division if you want answers as to what is legal and what is

    not
    > in the terms of operating anything to do with emitting electromagnetic
    > radiation. Here's a url ro GURL's (general user radio license's) that
    > contains which frequencies may be used free or charge providing you stay
    > with in the technical guidelines set out by these license details fo
    > different devices.
    >

    > Gavin

    Would help if I had something to paste first so it wouldn't send when I
    pressed ctrl+v: http://www.rsm.govt.nz/licensing/guls.html
    Gavin Stephens, Jan 17, 2006