Adapter to make a 2.5" HDD fit a 3.5" Caddy?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Dec 25, 2010.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi folks, I trust that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas day? :)

    I was wondering if anyone has an idea or knows of a product that could be of
    benefit to me. I have my 'heavy iron' set up with four Welland hot-swappable
    SATA HDD bays. These take a bare drive and, along with a small app (that I
    think someone here put me onto) allow me to hot-swap my SATA HDDs in and
    out.

    The bay in question is a Welland ME-751J, Google images will show you what
    it looks like and it's easy to work out how it works. For those who don't
    want to Google here's a Portuguese page with images that are
    self-explanatory:
    http://www.noli.com.br/sistema/list...na-welland-p--hd-3-5--sata--hot-swap---me751j
    (or http://tinyurl.com/2c3pud2 ).

    I have the boot drive in the top bay, which is the only one I lock. I use
    the others for copying files from one HDD to another at full SATA2 speed
    rather than spending 4 or 5 hours waiting for it to happen using USB2. Yeah,
    I know that I could likely use eSATA docks etcetera but I already have this
    set up. It's a bloody great system IMO, I can't recommend it enough. So easy
    to do backups and makes me glad that I'm a hoarder as I still have a few
    (not enough, but still... ) of those Seagate 'Seashell' plastic containers
    that they used to ship drives in, for storing drives in the drawer (or
    off-site) that aren't currently in a bay.

    However, I find that I'm doing a bit of copying / cloning using 2.5" laptop
    HDDs these days and I guess I'm spoilt. Copying large amounts of data at
    USB2 speeds is a right royal PITA.

    So, I was wondering, as the SATA data and power cables are spaced the same
    on laptop drives as they are on desktop drives, could I use a 'spacer' or
    'blank' that would enable me to use laptop drives in these bays? While
    Googling for a solution I see that it's possible to buy bays that are
    designed for 2.5" drives but I don't have emough money these days to just go
    out and buy gear. That said, if there was an adapter that does what I want
    (that my white-belt Google-fu didn't find) that was inexpensive I'd consider
    diverting some food money towards getting it.

    I thought about trying to make one myself, or getting an engineering mate to
    mill out a 3.5" HDD to accept a 2.5" drive. However it's not as easy as I
    hoped that it might be at first and I'd rather not call in a favour of that
    magnitude from my engineer friend if there's another, more elegant solution.
    I'm thinking that heat might be an issue if I'm copying something like half
    a terrabyte of data and hoping that, if there *is* a commercial product
    available it'll address this issue. This is what stops me using a 3.5"
    HDD-sized block of wood with a rebate that a 2.5" drive would fit into.

    Can anyone help me? Much TIA if so and I'll speak to the Earth-mother on
    your behalf so that 2011 should be a brilliant year for you. ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Dec 25, 2010

  2. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 25/12/2010 8:58 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Hi folks, I trust that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas day? :)
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone has an idea or knows of a product that could be of
    > benefit to me. I have my 'heavy iron' set up with four Welland hot-swappable
    > SATA HDD bays. These take a bare drive and, along with a small app (that I
    > think someone here put me onto) allow me to hot-swap my SATA HDDs in and
    > out.

    I have not seen one that will place the drive at the same place, only
    ever seen the old style folded sheet things that place them in the
    middle of a 3.5" bay.

    I dont really know what sort of market would exist for them given that
    most people doing that will be using an esata dock which will have the
    flap with the cutout for a 2.5" drive.
    Richard, Dec 25, 2010

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > On 25/12/2010 8:58 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Hi folks, I trust that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas
    >> day? :) I was wondering if anyone has an idea or knows of a product that
    >> could be of benefit to me. I have my 'heavy iron' set up with four
    >> Welland hot-swappable SATA HDD bays. These take a bare drive and,
    >> along with a small app (that I think someone here put me onto) allow
    >> me to hot-swap my SATA HDDs in and out.

    > I have not seen one that will place the drive at the same place, only
    > ever seen the old style folded sheet things that place them in the
    > middle of a 3.5" bay.
    >
    > I dont really know what sort of market would exist for them given that
    > most people doing that will be using an esata dock which will have the
    > flap with the cutout for a 2.5" drive.

    Thanks for your reply Richard. Yeah, it's an odd one. However you can see
    how such a device would be really useful to me yes? I have USB / eSATA docks
    like you mention but this 'bay' system is so much more elegant IMO (some of
    my machines don't have eSATA so it's just easier / faster to just pull the
    HDD and image it on the heavy iron than it would be to do it via USB).

    It'd be great to have an adapter that the laptop drive just clicks into. I
    realise that there wouldn't be much room on the side as they both have the
    connectors the same distance from the edge. However I do believe that it's
    not only do-able but would be great. Welland make a 2 x 2.5" SATA 'bay' that
    takes up the same amount of room in the desktop machine.

    However I feel that I have all of the electro-mechanical equipment that I
    need, I just need a dummy 3.5" 'HDD' that has a cut-away to take a 2.5" HDD.
    (I can make the electrical connections with a 2.5" dribe in the bay but it's
    just a matter of keeping it in place.) I guess that, as there would be
    little profit in such a device when they can instead sell you a 2.5"
    hot-swap bay the chances of finding such a thing are minimal. :-(

    Thanks again for the reply. I think that unless someone reads this and
    thinks "Wow! I've seen just the thing!" I fear that my only option will be
    to have an adapter made to do the job. That's likely to be expensive,
    especially when you consider thermal requirements, unless of course my
    engineer mate needs some IT-type stuff done in the near future. <shrug>

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Dec 25, 2010
  4. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 25/12/2010 11:46 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply Richard. Yeah, it's an odd one. However you can see
    > how such a device would be really useful to me yes? I have USB / eSATA docks
    > like you mention but this 'bay' system is so much more elegant IMO (some of
    > my machines don't have eSATA so it's just easier / faster to just pull the
    > HDD and image it on the heavy iron than it would be to do it via USB).
    >
    > It'd be great to have an adapter that the laptop drive just clicks into. I
    > realise that there wouldn't be much room on the side as they both have the
    > connectors the same distance from the edge. However I do believe that it's
    > not only do-able but would be great. Welland make a 2 x 2.5" SATA 'bay' that
    > takes up the same amount of room in the desktop machine.
    >
    > However I feel that I have all of the electro-mechanical equipment that I
    > need, I just need a dummy 3.5" 'HDD' that has a cut-away to take a 2.5" HDD.
    > (I can make the electrical connections with a 2.5" dribe in the bay but it's
    > just a matter of keeping it in place.) I guess that, as there would be
    > little profit in such a device when they can instead sell you a 2.5"
    > hot-swap bay the chances of finding such a thing are minimal. :-(
    >
    > Thanks again for the reply. I think that unless someone reads this and
    > thinks "Wow! I've seen just the thing!" I fear that my only option will be
    > to have an adapter made to do the job. That's likely to be expensive,
    > especially when you consider thermal requirements, unless of course my
    > engineer mate needs some IT-type stuff done in the near future.<shrug>

    Either that, or something HDD shaped with a sata extension from the back
    to a loose cable you can just plug into the 2.5 and sit it inside the
    device, but I have only seen sata extenstions in rather long lengths,
    not the 80-100mm you would want for doing that.
    Richard, Dec 25, 2010
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 25/12/2010 8:58 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Hi folks, I trust that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas
    >> day? :) I was wondering if anyone has an idea or knows of a product that
    >> could be of benefit to me. I have my 'heavy iron' set up with four
    >> Welland hot-swappable SATA HDD bays. These take a bare drive and,
    >> along with a small app (that I think someone here put me onto) allow
    >> me to hot-swap my SATA HDDs in and out.

    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994064&Tpk=icydock ssd

    Hmmm, that looks almost promising. However I think tha the SATA connectors
    aren't as close to the edge of the drive as they need to be to go into a
    dock.

    From what I can see with a 3.5" and a 2.5" drive on my desk in front of me
    they're both the same distance from the side of the HDD. So, for a 2.5 to
    fit into the bay the side of the drive nearest the connectors would have to
    be 'exposed', it'd have to be the side of the drive-in-adapter. That item
    looks close but it'd only have to be a mm or two out for it not to work and
    from what I can tell it *is* out by the thickness of the casing (designed
    for lose cable attachment).

    If I was rich (and if newegg shipped outside the US*) I'd just buy one
    anyway and try it but I'd say there's only a 20 : 80 chance of it working
    from what I can see and going by the tolerances in the bay.

    (* At least they never used to ship even as far as Canada. Things might have
    changed.)

    Cheers mate,

    ~misfit~, Dec 25, 2010
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > On 25/12/2010 11:46 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your reply Richard. Yeah, it's an odd one. However you
    >> can see how such a device would be really useful to me yes? I have
    >> USB / eSATA docks like you mention but this 'bay' system is so much
    >> more elegant IMO (some of my machines don't have eSATA so it's just
    >> easier / faster to just pull the HDD and image it on the heavy iron
    >> than it would be to do it via USB). It'd be great to have an adapter that
    >> the laptop drive just clicks
    >> into. I realise that there wouldn't be much room on the side as they
    >> both have the connectors the same distance from the edge. However I
    >> do believe that it's not only do-able but would be great. Welland
    >> make a 2 x 2.5" SATA 'bay' that takes up the same amount of room in
    >> the desktop machine. However I feel that I have all of the
    >> electro-mechanical equipment
    >> that I need, I just need a dummy 3.5" 'HDD' that has a cut-away to
    >> take a 2.5" HDD. (I can make the electrical connections with a 2.5"
    >> dribe in the bay but it's just a matter of keeping it in place.) I
    >> guess that, as there would be little profit in such a device when
    >> they can instead sell you a 2.5" hot-swap bay the chances of finding
    >> such a thing are minimal. :-( Thanks again for the reply. I think that
    >> unless someone reads this
    >> and thinks "Wow! I've seen just the thing!" I fear that my only
    >> option will be to have an adapter made to do the job. That's likely
    >> to be expensive, especially when you consider thermal requirements,
    >> unless of course my engineer mate needs some IT-type stuff done in
    >> the near future.<shrug>

    > Either that, or something HDD shaped with a sata extension from the
    > back to a loose cable you can just plug into the 2.5 and sit it
    > inside the device, but I have only seen sata extenstions in rather
    > long lengths, not the 80-100mm you would want for doing that.

    Hmmm, good point. I could even possibly use a fuched 3.5" SATA PCB / HDD and
    solder one end of the cable to the PCB... If I had a fuched 3.5 SATA drive
    I'd likely give it a go. Thanks for the idea.

    ~misfit~, Dec 25, 2010
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >> On 25/12/2010 8:58 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Hi folks, I trust that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas
    >>> day? :) I was wondering if anyone has an idea or knows of a
    >>> product that could be of benefit to me. I have my 'heavy iron' set
    >>> up with four Welland hot-swappable SATA HDD bays. These take a bare
    >>> drive and, along with a small app (that I think someone here put me
    >>> onto) allow
    >>> me to hot-swap my SATA HDDs in and out.

    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994064&Tpk=icydock ssd

    > Hmmm, that looks almost promising. However I think tha the SATA
    > connectors aren't as close to the edge of the drive as they need to
    > be to go into a dock.
    >
    > From what I can see with a 3.5" and a 2.5" drive on my desk in front
    > of me they're both the same distance from the side of the HDD. So,
    > for a 2.5 to fit into the bay the side of the drive nearest the
    > connectors would have to be 'exposed', it'd have to be the side of
    > the drive-in-adapter. That item looks close but it'd only have to be
    > a mm or two out for it not to work and from what I can tell it *is*
    > out by the thickness of the casing (designed for lose cable
    > attachment).
    > If I was rich (and if newegg shipped outside the US*) I'd just buy one
    > anyway and try it but I'd say there's only a 20 : 80 chance of it
    > working from what I can see and going by the tolerances in the bay.

    Okay, I should have read it more thouroughly. They claim that it will fit
    "3.5" SATA HDD enclosure, mobile rack, and backplane modules". Perhaps it
    would work. I might look into how much it'll cost to get one, delivered
    tomorrow.

    Thanks.

    ~misfit~, Dec 25, 2010
  8. ~misfit~

    J.Wilson Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > does what I want (that my white-belt Google-fu didn't find) that was inexpensive I'd
    > consider diverting some food money towards getting it.
    >
    > I thought about trying to make one myself, or getting an engineering mate to mill out a
    > 3.5" HDD to accept a 2.5" drive. However it's not as easy as I hoped that it might be at
    > first and I'd rather not call in a favour of that magnitude from my engineer friend if
    > there's another, more elegant solution. I'm thinking that heat might be an issue if I'm
    > copying something like half a terrabyte of data and hoping that, if there *is* a
    > commercial product available it'll address this issue. This is what stops me using a
    > 3.5" HDD-sized block of wood with a rebate that a 2.5" drive would fit into.
    >
    > Can anyone help me? Much TIA if so and I'll speak to the Earth-mother on your behalf so
    > that 2011 should be a brilliant year for you. ;-)

    A sata 2 to usb3 fast enough?

    http://www.chinazrh.com/wholesale-usb30-to-sataii-adapter-p-4693.html

    I was looking for ide/sata to usb2 adapter then learned that usb3
    was out and to rethink
    J.Wilson, Dec 25, 2010
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs J.Wilson wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    [snip]
    >> However, I find that I'm doing a bit of copying / cloning using 2.5"
    >> laptop HDDs these days and I guess I'm spoilt. Copying large amounts
    >> of data at USB2 speeds is a right royal PITA.

    [snip]

    > A sata 2 to usb3 fast enough?
    >
    > http://www.chinazrh.com/wholesale-usb30-to-sataii-adapter-p-4693.html
    >
    > I was looking for ide/sata to usb2 adapter then learned that usb3
    > was out and to rethink

    Yeah, USB3 would do the job very well. The only problem with that scenario
    is that I'd have to replace all of my USB2 HDD docks, maybe fit a USB3 PCIe
    card into the heavy iron and I would definitely need to buy USB3
    ExpressCards for the laptops (I'm not sure about bus-speed and possible
    limitations on those).

    For you, just looking to set something up, it would be great. However I
    already have the hardware in place so it would mean dumping it and starting
    again, something that's not possible as my sole yearly lotto ticket didn't
    win. :-(

    I'll have to look more closely at the device EMB linked to, then check if
    the plastic has enough leeway on it.... I see in the user reviews that some
    people said that it runs HDDs very hot (but that, with SSDs high
    temperatures don't matter [?] ). It would be great to find a local supplier
    so that I could (possibly) eyeball the thing before buying but also return
    it if it wasn't 'fit for purpose'. Freight charges to the US kill that
    option.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Dec 25, 2010
  10. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    On 26/12/2010 12:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Yeah, USB3 would do the job very well. The only problem with that scenario
    > is that I'd have to replace all of my USB2 HDD docks, maybe fit a USB3 PCIe
    > card into the heavy iron and I would definitely need to buy USB3
    > ExpressCards for the laptops (I'm not sure about bus-speed and possible
    > limitations on those).
    >
    > For you, just looking to set something up, it would be great. However I
    > already have the hardware in place so it would mean dumping it and starting
    > again, something that's not possible as my sole yearly lotto ticket didn't
    > win. :-(
    >
    > I'll have to look more closely at the device EMB linked to, then check if
    > the plastic has enough leeway on it.... I see in the user reviews that some
    > people said that it runs HDDs very hot (but that, with SSDs high
    > temperatures don't matter [?] ). It would be great to find a local supplier
    > so that I could (possibly) eyeball the thing before buying but also return
    > it if it wasn't 'fit for purpose'. Freight charges to the US kill that
    > option.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I really like the idea of the wooden one.
    victor, Dec 26, 2010
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 26/12/2010 2:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994064&Tpk=icydock ssd

    >> Hmmm, that looks almost promising. However I think tha the SATA
    >> connectors aren't as close to the edge of the drive as they need to
    >> be to go into a dock.

    > And a couple more options...
    >
    > http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...duct_info&cPath=130_151_256&products_id=29793
    >
    > http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34240
    >
    > The latter being a replacement rather than an adaptor.

    Thanks mate, good Google-Fu you have there. ;-)

    I have some bookmarked now for when I balance the books at the end of the
    month, and see if I can order one. :)

    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2010
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > On 26/12/2010 12:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> Yeah, USB3 would do the job very well. The only problem with that
    >> scenario is that I'd have to replace all of my USB2 HDD docks, maybe
    >> fit a USB3 PCIe card into the heavy iron and I would definitely need
    >> to buy USB3 ExpressCards for the laptops (I'm not sure about
    >> bus-speed and possible limitations on those).
    >>
    >> For you, just looking to set something up, it would be great.
    >> However I already have the hardware in place so it would mean
    >> dumping it and starting again, something that's not possible as my
    >> sole yearly lotto ticket didn't win. :-(
    >>
    >> I'll have to look more closely at the device EMB linked to, then
    >> check if the plastic has enough leeway on it.... I see in the user
    >> reviews that some people said that it runs HDDs very hot (but that,
    >> with SSDs high temperatures don't matter [?] ). It would be great to
    >> find a local supplier so that I could (possibly) eyeball the thing
    >> before buying but also return it if it wasn't 'fit for purpose'.
    >> Freight charges to the US kill that option.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > I really like the idea of the wooden one.

    Heh! I thought about it for a while but I'm afraid that it would insulate
    the small HDD rather too well and cook it.

    I'm kicking myself for discarding a laptop motherboard a while ago which had
    the SATA connectors on it. I have a stuffed SATA HDD so, if I'd kept the
    mobo I'd have the set and would only need to link them together in a
    HDD-sized thing and I'd have just what I'm wanting.

    Oh well, I used to keep everything but recently, on being unable to turn
    around whilst in the spare room, decided to clear most of the junk out.

    I've discovered a new phenomena whereby if you have a thing you'll *never*
    need it. However, as soon as you get rid of said thing, within a matter of
    months you'll have a pressing need for one and have to purchase it (if it
    can even be sourced).

    I wonder if there's a 'law' that deals with this phenomena? If there isn't
    already do I get naming rights? <g>

    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2010
  13. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 28/12/2010 8:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Heh! I thought about it for a while but I'm afraid that it would insulate
    > the small HDD rather too well and cook it.
    >
    > I'm kicking myself for discarding a laptop motherboard a while ago which had
    > the SATA connectors on it. I have a stuffed SATA HDD so, if I'd kept the
    > mobo I'd have the set and would only need to link them together in a
    > HDD-sized thing and I'd have just what I'm wanting.

    just buy a sata extension off ebay or trademe -
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Other/auction-342602353.htm
    - bit long, but I have seen shorter on ebay which my internet is too
    slow to browse at the moment (slingshot)
    Richard, Dec 28, 2010
  14. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 28/12/2010 8:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Heh! I thought about it for a while but I'm afraid that it would insulate
    > the small HDD rather too well and cook it.
    >
    > I'm kicking myself for discarding a laptop motherboard a while ago which had
    > the SATA connectors on it. I have a stuffed SATA HDD so, if I'd kept the
    > mobo I'd have the set and would only need to link them together in a
    > HDD-sized thing and I'd have just what I'm wanting.
    >
    > Oh well, I used to keep everything but recently, on being unable to turn
    > around whilst in the spare room, decided to clear most of the junk out.
    >
    > I've discovered a new phenomena whereby if you have a thing you'll *never*
    > need it. However, as soon as you get rid of said thing, within a matter of
    > months you'll have a pressing need for one and have to purchase it (if it
    > can even be sourced).
    >
    > I wonder if there's a 'law' that deals with this phenomena? If there isn't
    > already do I get naming rights?<g>

    Oh, look at this one - dirt cheap too.
    Richard, Dec 28, 2010
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 28/12/2010 8:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I've discovered a new phenomena whereby if you have a thing you'll
    >> *never* need it. However, as soon as you get rid of said thing,
    >> within a matter of months you'll have a pressing need for one and
    >> have to purchase it (if it can even be sourced).
    >>
    >> I wonder if there's a 'law' that deals with this phenomena? If there
    >> isn't already do I get naming rights?<g>

    > The law exists. IMHO it is called EMB's law and has bitten me on the
    > arse-parts every time I have cleaned out my workshop. However the
    > gentleman I did my apprenticeship for is claiming prior art (on behalf
    > of his late father) so I rather think we are both out of luck for
    > naming rights, and henceforth we shall refer to it as "Bert's Law" in
    > acknowledgement of the old bloke.

    Right then, Bert's Law it is. It's bitten me more than once and I'm getting
    it a lot about now, having had a big clean-out a while back. It's funny, I
    don't remember using much of the 'junk' when it was here but now I don't
    have it I need it. <shrug>

    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2010
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > On 28/12/2010 8:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> Heh! I thought about it for a while but I'm afraid that it would
    >> insulate the small HDD rather too well and cook it.
    >>
    >> I'm kicking myself for discarding a laptop motherboard a while ago
    >> which had the SATA connectors on it. I have a stuffed SATA HDD so,
    >> if I'd kept the mobo I'd have the set and would only need to link
    >> them together in a HDD-sized thing and I'd have just what I'm
    >> wanting.

    > just buy a sata extension off ebay or trademe -
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Other/auction-342602353.htm
    > - bit long, but I have seen shorter on ebay which my internet is too
    > slow to browse at the moment (slingshot)

    Hmmm, thanks for that. I'm also rate-limited at the moment but will look
    around.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2010
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > On 28/12/2010 8:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> Heh! I thought about it for a while but I'm afraid that it would
    >> insulate the small HDD rather too well and cook it.
    >>
    >> I'm kicking myself for discarding a laptop motherboard a while ago
    >> which had the SATA connectors on it. I have a stuffed SATA HDD so,
    >> if I'd kept the mobo I'd have the set and would only need to link
    >> them together in a HDD-sized thing and I'd have just what I'm
    >> wanting. Oh well, I used to keep everything but recently, on being unable
    >> turn around whilst in the spare room, decided to clear most of the
    >> junk out. I've discovered a new phenomena whereby if you have a thing
    >> you'll
    >> *never* need it. However, as soon as you get rid of said thing,
    >> within a matter of months you'll have a pressing need for one and
    >> have to purchase it (if it can even be sourced).
    >>
    >> I wonder if there's a 'law' that deals with this phenomena? If there
    >> isn't already do I get naming rights?<g>

    > Oh, look at this one - dirt cheap too.
    > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33193

    Hmmm, interesting, thanks. I see that it has a USB connection too so it can
    be used as an external enclosure. I wonder if it's in the SATA data-path. I
    don't see any customer feedback yet. Also, if I get one of those I'd have to
    fill the recess on the back of the unit as that's where my hot-swap bay's
    spring-loaded closing mechanism puts the pressure on the back of the HDD to
    lock it into the connectors.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2010
  18. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 29/12/2010 12:55 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    >> On 28/12/2010 8:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Heh! I thought about it for a while but I'm afraid that it would
    >>> insulate the small HDD rather too well and cook it.
    >>>
    >>> I'm kicking myself for discarding a laptop motherboard a while ago
    >>> which had the SATA connectors on it. I have a stuffed SATA HDD so,
    >>> if I'd kept the mobo I'd have the set and would only need to link
    >>> them together in a HDD-sized thing and I'd have just what I'm
    >>> wanting.

    >> just buy a sata extension off ebay or trademe -
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Other/auction-342602353.htm
    >> - bit long, but I have seen shorter on ebay which my internet is too
    >> slow to browse at the moment (slingshot)

    > Hmmm, thanks for that. I'm also rate-limited at the moment but will look
    > around.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Im not limited since I pay per gig, its just its so stupidly slow
    browsing non cacheable international sites in the evening I dont bother.
    Richard, Dec 28, 2010
  19. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 29/12/2010 1:00 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Hmmm, interesting, thanks. I see that it has a USB connection too so it can
    > be used as an external enclosure. I wonder if it's in the SATA data-path. I
    > don't see any customer feedback yet. Also, if I get one of those I'd have to
    > fill the recess on the back of the unit as that's where my hot-swap bay's
    > spring-loaded closing mechanism puts the pressure on the back of the HDD to
    > lock it into the connectors.
    >
    > Cheers,

    What recess? where the USB is?
    Richard, Dec 28, 2010
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > On 29/12/2010 1:00 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> Hmmm, interesting, thanks. I see that it has a USB connection too so
    >> it can be used as an external enclosure. I wonder if it's in the
    >> SATA data-path. I don't see any customer feedback yet. Also, if I
    >> get one of those I'd have to fill the recess on the back of the unit
    >> as that's where my hot-swap bay's spring-loaded closing mechanism
    >> puts the pressure on the back of the HDD to lock it into the
    >> connectors. Cheers,

    > What recess? where the USB is?

    Nah, on what would be the back of a 3.5" HDD, next to where that white thing
    (LED block?) is that people are talking about in the questions section.

    The door of the bay has a spring loaded 'finger' that pushes on the back of
    the HDD when it's closed that supplies the pressure to push it into the SATA
    / power connectors and keep it there.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Dec 28, 2010