    Is there a way to put the adapter in line after the modem, and before the
    router?? The adapter only has one cat5 jack.

    Thanks for any info.

    John, Feb 5, 2006

  2. John

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > I've got a Sipura adapter, a morotolla modem and a
    > Linksys wrt45g router.
    > Is there a way to put the adapter in line after the
    > modem, and before the router?? The adapter only has one
    > cat5 jack.

    No You would need an adaptor with a WAN connection.

    Why do you want to do this..? Are you having problems..? If so, what are
    they..? I have a Sipura 2000 plugged into my router with no problems.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 5, 2006

  3. John

    John Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> I've got a Sipura adapter, a morotolla modem and a
    >> Linksys wrt45g router.
    >> Is there a way to put the adapter in line after the
    >> modem, and before the router?? The adapter only has one
    >> cat5 jack.

    > No You would need an adaptor with a WAN connection.
    >
    > Why do you want to do this..? Are you having problems..? If so, what are
    > they..? I have a Sipura 2000 plugged into my router with no problems.
    >
    > Ivor

    Thanks for responding Ivor,

    I'm a programmer and sometimes put heavy loads on my internet connection
    using FTP etc. I've experimented with some success with Quality of Service
    settings in the router, but even so, connecting the adapter pre-router
    sounds like a sure fire fix.

    That leads me to think, are there security issues involved with my adapter?
    If placed outside my firewall, can someone place a call usinf my adapter?

    I guess I'll live with the present situation.

    What do you do to preserve bandwidth for your voip?

    -John

    John, Feb 6, 2006
  4. John

    Rick Merrill Guest

    John wrote:

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>"John" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I've got a Sipura adapter, a morotolla modem and a
    >>>Linksys wrt45g router.
    >>>Is there a way to put the adapter in line after the
    >>>modem, and before the router?? The adapter only has one
    >>>cat5 jack.

    >>No You would need an adaptor with a WAN connection.
    >>
    >>Why do you want to do this..? Are you having problems..? If so, what are
    >>they..? I have a Sipura 2000 plugged into my router with no problems.
    >>
    >>Ivor
    >>

    > Thanks for responding Ivor,
    >
    > I'm a programmer and sometimes put heavy loads on my internet connection
    > using FTP etc. I've experimented with some success with Quality of Service
    > settings in the router, but even so, connecting the adapter pre-router
    > sounds like a sure fire fix.
    >
    > That leads me to think, are there security issues involved with my adapter?
    > If placed outside my firewall, can someone place a call usinf my adapter?
    >
    > I guess I'll live with the present situation.
    >
    > What do you do to preserve bandwidth for your voip?
    >
    > -John

    the DLINK adapters have NAT translation as well as QOS. So the adapter
    gives you 1st order protection already.

    Rick Merrill, Feb 6, 2006