Adaptec SCSI adapter, 2940 -lack of 64 bit drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Peter Chant, Nov 4, 2009.

  1. Peter Chant

    Peter Chant Guest

    Peter Chant, Nov 4, 2009

  2. Peter Chant

    Guest

    Re: Adaptec SCSI adapter, 2940 -lack of 64 bit drivers

    In <>, Peter Chant <> writes:
    >Any idea whether I can expect drivers to appear for my SCSI card for Win 7
    >64 bit?

    Thanks Pete for that snippet of information. I guess I will have to stick with
    XP x64. It is good enough for my needs.

    , Nov 5, 2009

  3. When Adaptec makes them available - if ever. Did you check the manufacturers
    web site for drivers?

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Nov 5, 2009
  4. You don't specify which 2940 card, there are many variants. The original
    2940 is a very old card indeed, but has Vista drivers which should work for
    Windows 7.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 5, 2009
  5. Peter Chant

    Peter Chant Guest

    Richard Urban wrote:

    > When Adaptec makes them available - if ever. Did you check the
    > manufacturers web site for drivers?

    First place I checked.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Peter Chant, Nov 5, 2009
  6. Peter Chant

    Peter Chant Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > You don't specify which 2940 card, there are many variants. The original
    > 2940 is a very old card indeed, but has Vista drivers which should work
    > for Windows 7.

    There's the thing - the box it came in says it is a 2904 and Win 7 states it
    is a 2940UW! However, for both these cards Adaptec have only Vista 32 bit
    drivers. The cards not all that old, a few years so I thought it would be
    supported.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Peter Chant, Nov 5, 2009
  7. Peter Chant

    wrote:

    > Thanks Pete for that snippet of information. I guess I will have to stick
    > with
    > XP x64. It is good enough for my needs.

    I repartitioned and kept my XP partition just in case, but can also use
    linux to do my scanning (card is needed for SCSI scanner).

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Peter Chant, Nov 6, 2009
  8. Peter Chant

    Peter Chant Guest

    philo wrote:

    > I would *guess* that 64bit XP drivers would work

    Worth a try

    > If you try XP drivers, there is a risk of course...
    > I did it right after a fresh install so had nothing to risk

    I don't keep data on the machine so no issue if it goes wrong.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Peter Chant, Nov 8, 2009